PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Benjamin Discovery Saga

TCLouis
05-28-2015, 08:49 PM
First let me say that I REALLY SHOULD HAVE heeded on persons advice in my previous post here when this happened and had fedex ship it right back to Amazon. Now that it is too late and as I was ranting on last night my wife checked their return/replacement policy last night and they would have replaced it.

The way I went instead
Found a warranty station . . . Upcoming mistake #2
Shipped it fedex for 17 bucks and change
They shipped it back after repair through the USPS for 10 bucks and change.

Went out to shoot it the night it came back to me PCP cylinder at full pressure when received, yahoo, it is fixed!

Shoot a few shots before I remount the moderator and it feels like a puff of air in my face, when I shoot, but decide it is just the breezy conditions.
Mount the moderator and when I shoot it the noise from the leak between the air cylinder and the breech is very loud.

Oh great poppit valve is fixed and the seal is leaking air going to breach.

Write the repair station telling him about the leak. The O ring must be leaking came the reply . . . DUH, you think.

OK, another 20 some odd bucks shipping or just fix it myself

No brainer so I write directions I assume will get me down to the O ring and send it to the warranty station asking if that will do it.
He said yes, so tomorrow night I will tear it down and go to gasket shop to get a replacement O ring next week.
Maybe temporary out of inner tube in the mean time.

Great gun otherwise and this just happens to be the lemon that gets out there once in a while for the owner to make right.

OH, even with the leak it is accurate and will take out a grackle at 50 yards. Leak is getting progressively worse though so I quit shooting it.

lathesmith
06-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems TC, that Discovery will be a fine shooter once you get it squared away. I assume that you are talking about needing to replace the seal between the lower pressure tube and the upper receiver? That should be a relatively easy fix, and it's too bad the repair shop missed it on re-assembly.
I'd advise going to YouTube and look at a few videos on how to disassemble/reassemble these. They are relatively simple guns, I believe the main safety precaution is to make sure the gun is de-gassed before you tear it down. It should be a 20-30 minute job at most, I'd say.

TCLouis
06-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Will be interesting to see if he left the O-ring out or damaged it when he put the gun back together.

Will tear it down tomorrow and go buy new O-ring next week.

The gun shot great before I sent iot back to fix the main reservoir leak.

Main reason for the purchase wase grackles in the driveway which is 57 yards.

Never missed one before I sent it off, so expect the same performance after I replace the O-ring.

May try to find one slightly larger than the one on the bolt so the bolt will stay closed.