PDA

View Full Version : lino prices, uses

targetshootr
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Today I was at a print shop and the guy said he'd call with a price on his lino which they're getting rid of. I checked Midway and ebay and prices are all over the map. What would be a good price? The ingots were 4-5 lbs each and he has maybe 20-30 ingots. I'm thinking I may need to use some with the lead flashings and range lead piling up. So far I've been using straight ww for punching paper with handguns.

HORNET
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
You don't really need lino to mix alloy for the vast majority of handgunning but lino is getting scarce and would make real good trading stock. It would also allow you lots more flexibility if you decide to add casting for rifles to your hobby. There's lots of info available on here on different mixes for whatever you want to try. I've been hearing that lino's going for $1/pound or more PLUS shipping on flea-bay. See what the local scrap yards want for either soft lead or wheel weights and base your initial offer on that. You can always up the offer if he's reluctant, but it's hard to lower it. I'd try to get it all given a chance.

targetshootr
03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Hornet. I wasn't sure if I need it cause I've got a lot of ww on hand but the sight of lead has become irresistible. The guy I talked to also casts his own and he said they sold a couple of tons of some kind of lead a few weeks ago.

218bee
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Targetshootr, don't know where you're from area-wise but I'd be interested in taking some of that off your hands if you do buy it and decide you don't need it all. I am like you in that I cannot pass up shiny metal when it comes my way. I would like to try some of that Linop though.Please let me know...

targetshootr
03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm in NC. If the price isn't too bad I'll probably get a lot of it but when I called last year he was priced high on the other stuff I missed by a few weeks.

The guy who casts also had other ingots he was adding to his shop smelter but I didn't understand how or if it was any different than lino. It was in dull green-grey ingots while the lino was in shiny silver ingots. He said I'd need to slice pieces off to add to my mix till I found the right recipe.

Cherokee
03-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Buy it, people will take it off your hand if you don't want it all.

targetshootr
03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
It looks like the guy doesn't wanna sell any lino but I found another guy who has 100-plus lbs of 'foundry' type, not in ingots. So if it's worth using I'll make him an offer on it. Is there a place you can send a sample to find out the make up and also the % to mix with soft lead?

Scrounger
03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Foundry type is better than Linotype, meaning it has more antimony in it, so you can mix more lead in it to arrive at your desired mix.

targetshootr
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Holy mackerel. Thanks Scrounger. By the way, what is my desired mix.

HORNET
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
What mix you use depends on what you want to use the alloy for. For near full throttle rifle use with a bore-ride design you'd use a much harder alloy than for .38 wadcutter loads. There's a lot of variety possible, lots of reference info around (including Lyman's manual, The Art of Bullet Casting" from Wolfe Publishing, & Joe Brennan's books) but the easiest to start is probably the LASC website. Do a websearch for it and there's lots of data on alloys, properties, heat treating, etc. I copied on a thumbdrive so I'd have it handy. Also printed a hard copy for reference in the basement. That Foundry type is like a Super-Linotype. You can use it sparingly to start with, but you still shouldn't need it for most pistola loads. As you can tell from some of the responses above, it makes REAL GOOD trading stock.

Boomer Mikey
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
http://lasc.us/

Boomer :Fire: