PDA

View Full Version : Question About Lyman 450 Lube/sizer?

Butchman205
05-26-2015, 12:35 AM
I have an older Lyman 450 Lubesizer, and I'm currently using commercially bought Moly Lube.
Boolits are from a 454190 mould.
When I lubesize my boolits, lube keeps squirting up on two opposite sides of the boolit nose.

If I use less pressure on the lube, the lube rings don't get fully filled. When I put a tad more pressure on the lube wrench, the boolit comes up with lube on the sides of the boolit nose.

Do I need to get a heater for the Lubesizer, need to adjust the height/depth of the boolit stroke, or am I doing something else wrong?

It's a pain (and time consuming) to wipe off the excess lube from every boolit sized.

Any and all advice welcomed.

Butch

Vann
05-26-2015, 01:06 AM
Sounds like you need to adjust the depth a bit. I believe your pushing the bullet to deep into the sizing die. I usually start with my bullet set high and gradually adjust my depth down until my groves fill out the way I want. If you get large amounts of lube on the bottom of the bullet it's either to high or your putting to much pressure on the wrench.

I'm assuming that your using Lyman moly lube since you didn't name the brand in your post. I've used it before several years ago and if I recall correctly I don't think that I had to use a heater on my lubersizer.

Regards.
Vann

upnorthwis
05-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Also, an undersize boolit will allow lube to get past too.

Butchman205
05-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Yes, I'm using Lyman Moly Lube.
Indoor temperature is normally 72-74 degrees.

I'll recheck the freshly cast and cooled boolits, but as best I remember they're right at .0454 before sizing, and 0.452 after sizing.

williamwaco
05-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Vann + 1

1_Ogre
05-26-2015, 02:29 PM
I agree with Vann, you are seating the boolit too far down and it's going below the lube ports thus allowing the lube to get up on the nose of the boolit. It needs to be adjusted "UP" until you only get the lube into the grooves.
Steve/s-3

pjames32
05-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Too deep as others have suggested!
PJ

trapper9260
05-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you need to adjust the depth a bit. I believe your pushing the bullet to deep into the sizing die. I usually start with my bullet set high and gradually adjust my depth down until my groves fill out the way I want. If you get large amounts of lube on the bottom of the bullet it's either to high or your putting to much pressure on the wrench.

I'm assuming that your using Lyman moly lube since you didn't name the brand in your post. I've used it before several years ago and if I recall correctly I don't think that I had to use a heater on my lubersizer.

Regards.
Vann

I am with you on this also for the OP problem.

JWT
05-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I just used the Lyman moly lube a couple of nights ago. It does flow much better with a little heat.

Butchman205
05-26-2015, 11:38 PM
I just used the Lyman moly lube a couple of nights ago. It does flow much better with a little heat.

Do you have a Lyman heater, or another source?

Duckiller
05-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Hair drier makes a great heat source. Cheap from Wal-Mart works great. Just point it at the luber-sizer for a few minutes on High. Start with not too hot lube then keep trying and adding heat until YOU are satisfied with how the lube flows. There will be enough residual heat to keep you going for a while. Add heat when ever the lube gets too thick. Not rocket science, just try to not over heat the lube.

Butchman205
05-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Any idea about what temp range is good for the lube to flow well (ballpark)?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Any idea about what temp range is good for the lube to flow well (ballpark)?
Depends on the Lube. But I'd guess 95º to 115º for most.

Butchman205
05-27-2015, 09:42 PM
That makes sense.

JWT
05-27-2015, 10:05 PM
I have the Lyman heater. You can just feel the sizer is warmer than room temp.

Butchman205
05-27-2015, 10:06 PM
JWT-Does it work well?

JWT
05-27-2015, 10:11 PM
The heater seems to be a simple, clean solution to warming the lube. As far as the lube itself, I don't have any data yet. I was lubing bollits from my first cast.

Butchman205
05-27-2015, 11:28 PM
Very cool!
Have you loaded and shot any of them yet?!?

Dragonheart
05-28-2015, 07:22 PM
I also have and old 450. I agree you need to raise the bullet up but the 450 really does not work well unless the lube is heated. I first used a floodlight in one of these clip on fixtures and that worked after it has enough time to warm up the lube. I finally made a heater using an element out of a coffee pot and some sheet aluminium with a rheostat to control the temperature. I understand there are now commercial made heaters that will fit this unit. But since I discovered powder coating a year ago my old 450 now just sits in the closet.

Butchman205
05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I also have and old 450. I agree you need to raise the bullet up but the 450 really does not work well unless the lube is heated. I first used a floodlight in one of these clip on fixtures and that worked after it has enough time to warm up the lube. I finally made a heater using an element out of a coffee pot and some sheet aluminium with a rheostat to control the temperature. I understand there are now commercial made heaters that will fit this unit. But since I discovered powder coating a year ago my old 450 now just sits in the closet.

Edit-"If" you get to a point that you'd possibly consider selling it, I'd like to try to buy it or trade for it....it'd be cool to have a couple set up in different calibers. If the earlier post came across as rude in any way, I apologize. Was not at all how I meant to say that.

When I re read what I posted, I thought wow I hope he didn't take that as a rude comment.

Also-How does the powder coating work?

Butchman205
06-01-2015, 11:32 PM
I adjusted the sizing die up, and it helped a good bit.
Thanks folks!!!

Now I just need to get a warmer...

Dragonheart
06-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Edit-"If" you get to a point that you'd possibly consider selling it, I'd like to try to buy it or trade for it....it'd be cool to have a couple set up in different calibers. If the earlier post came across as rude in any way, I apologize. Was not at all how I meant to say that.

When I re read what I posted, I thought wow I hope he didn't take that as a rude comment.

Also-How does the powder coating work?

I certainly didn't read any comments I would consider rude.

I will probably keep the old 450 for a little longer mainly just to be able to lube some bullets to test the accuracy against my powder coated bullets. My load testing is on the back burner at the present as our club pistol range is under 5 feet of water from the recent flooding in the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Your idea of two units makes sense if you want ease to production. I use two Dollon 650's one in 45 ACP and the other in 9 mm, which is what I shoot the most. I also have two Forester Case Trimmers for the same reason as I dislike having to set up and readjust.

The powder coating I started about a year ago is working out great. From the beginning I felt the PC bullets were quite accurate, in addition to leaving a clean bore, completely covering the lead, no long time storage problems, not sticky, no lube in bullet seater or crimp dies, etc. etc.

I just completed testing several powders with my 45 acp 230 grain PCRN and have several loads posting under 2" at 25 yards out of a Ransom rest. The best group was 1.6" and the accuracy didn't degrade after firing over 150 test rounds. Since, I am into accuracy I am very pleased I can make a bullet like this at home. Additionally, I have no need to purchase jacketed bullets, the most expensive component in reloading. If the shelves ever get bare like they did a couple of years ago I at least know I will have bullets.

Butchman205
06-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Sounds like powder coating is the way to go!

I hope you don't mind if I now ask...what powders are the best, and where do I get some?!?

Edit-I found the threads on powder coating. Wow...

MT Chambers
06-07-2015, 06:29 PM
That 454190 is one bullet where the top lube groove is almost on the front slope of the bullet and may require extra care in setting your depth.

Butchman205
06-10-2015, 12:06 AM
I adjusted the die up, and I'm barely getting any lube out towards the boolit nose. All is well.

Thanks folks!

-Butch

Walter Laich
06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
ran across the PC sub-section.
sounded interesting so jumped in, both feet.
ESSG is fun to work with
think BB tumble coating is a quicker way to go.
while Harbor Freight has the gun and powder
Smoke has a wider range of colors and it's seems to be a bit 'better.'

450 does the 38 Sp lubing and the 45s get PC cause I'm too lazy to change out dies on 450

Butchman205
06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Haha! That's why I'm semi-looking for another Lubesizer...so I don't have to swap over.
I've caught where Smoke was mentioned a couple times. Any idea where/how to get in touch with him, or see what he's got for sale?