PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bullet lube out of mold

Boolit_Head
05-26-2015, 12:34 AM
I think I got some lube in a mold after i lubed it. What is a good way to clean it out other than letting it burn out?

scottfire1957
05-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Soap and water? Gee whizz, you're just washing some grease off, yes? Oh, hot water, in case you need to ask that, and Dawn dishsoap if you need to ask which soap.

It's cleaning, not rocket surgery.

Boolit_Head
05-26-2015, 12:46 AM
It's the waxy residue I am worried about getting out. Didn't think soap and water would break that down.

Landshark9025
05-26-2015, 05:51 AM
If you want to go "whole hog", you can treat it like a new mold. Soap and water, shot of brake cleaner then rubbing alcohol on cotton balls and q-tips. Then lube the sprue plate and pivots, etc., pre-heat and cast like there's no shortage of lead ('cause there isn't).

When in doubt, there is no harm in cleaning a mold like it is new. Worst cast is you have "re-season it" with a few casts.

Sasquatch-1
05-26-2015, 06:30 AM
A lot of guys will probably disagree but I just open the mold and stick it in the pot until I see a considerable amount of smoke. The I pour a couple bullets with the sprue plate open and the seem to be clean. (I also use the cheap Lee molds.)