PDA

View Full Version : Reducing diameter of cast lead bullet?

beeser
05-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Is there a way to reduce the diameter of a cast lead bullet by about .002" - .003"? Please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question or too elementary.

GabbyM
05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Are you asking about the body diameter or the nose diameter of a bore ride rifle bullet?
Basic bullet sizing of body diameter is done with size dies in a lube and size press or dies mounted in a reloading press. As with Lee dies.

Sizing the nose of a rifle bullet is a sizeable challenge.

zomby woof
05-25-2015, 08:09 PM
LEE sizing die

beeser
05-25-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm looking to reduce the body diameter of a .32 ACP lead cast bullet used on a pistol.

MT Chambers
05-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Lubesizers will do this and lube at the same time, RCBS, Lyman or best of all..the STAR.

beeser
05-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Just so happens I have an old RCBS Lube-A-Matic that was given to me. I checked Brownell's and they have sizing dies for it. Would all I have to do is run an already lubed cast lead bullet through a .312 sizing die to reduce the diameter from its present .314 diameter?

VHoward
05-26-2015, 12:08 AM
If the bullet is already lubed, then you don't need to add more lube. Yes, you can run the bullets through just to resize them.

beeser
05-26-2015, 12:37 AM
If the bullet is already lubed, then you don't need to add more lube. Yes, you can run the bullets through just to resize them.
Thanks all for answering my questions. I'll order some dies and get to work.

ohland
05-29-2015, 02:36 PM
I'll order some dies and get to work.

Don't forget the top punch. If you know the boolit used, you can order a TP. If it is a RN, then you could use a similar TP, or have a "blank" one made up that is dished out, you add epoxy or hot glue, coat the tip in lube or something to prevent sticking, and pull the handle down far enough to shape the material. Leave it till it sets.

Some folks on this forum make "blanks", or you could alter a TP you have...

Echo
05-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Is there a way to reduce the diameter of a cast lead bullet by about .002" - .003"? Please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question or too elementary.
Ignorance is one thing, stupid totally different. We are all ignorant (don't know) about a lot of things - but stupid? Not on THIS forum!
Your question is a noobies question, a question ALL noobies have to start with, and most learn the answer in short order, as you have here.
And I suggest that you load a dummy round with your as-cast boolit and see is if it chambers nicely. If so, sizing may not be necessary - the barrel will size it down nicely when the round is fired. But it does need loob...