PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 32 twist- what is best projectile for deer?

nekshot
05-25-2015, 08:41 AM
My BIL informed me over the weekend he and his 2 boys are going west on a BP deer stamp they got. They all have almost identical TC 50 cal inlines with 1 in 32 twist. He is not one to try alot of differant things(time is valuable for him) so he asks me and I have 0 expierence with that twist. I said I would go with Barnes or Power Belt bullets but what weight or is there a better combo, it must be simple to use. I guess I might ask what gr. of powder would you use? He told me he uses BH209 and I am sure the guns are set for shotgun primers.

johnson1942
05-25-2015, 11:26 PM
the 1/32 twist is a very easy twist in 50 cal to shoot sabots with and bullets in them that dont cost a arm and a leg. the best bullets is a 250 grain pistol bullet .451 or .452 diam. lead or copper coated. use a heavy duty mmp sabot that holds that diam of bullet. i buy my bullets at walmart. i use the copper clad hollow point. shoot about 100 grains of powder behind the sabot and it will give you what you want. ive got dead center tight groups at 180 yards with this load. usually they go with the 1/28 twist in most inlines but i believe the 1/32 is the better of the two and the easiest to get shooting good. you could even buy 250 grain .451 bullets in bulk. my friend did and bought a 1000 of them and is still hunting years later with that one bulk buy. no need for more than 100 grains of powder as the bullet will flatten out with that a pass through a deer. any more powder and nothing will be gained. also remember most sabots load some what hard on a totally dry perfectly clean barrel. snap 3 or 4 primmer caps through your gun before you load it the first time to get some dry soot in the barrel and then the sabot will load easier. also one doesnt have to clean between shots when useing black horn 209 powder. enjoy your fine guns.

Gtek
05-26-2015, 12:27 AM
I have TC Omega and Black Diamond inlines but they are 1-28. I have found they really like the 250 Hornady in red Sabot at 90 gr. volume of 777. Usually tighter than 2" @ 100 if I do my part.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
my 50 cal 1:28 209 primed inline shot very well with a Hornady great plains and 90gr 777 ,but now I make my own and I could not buy a mold to make the hornady swaged great plains or I would have

your brother in law needs to check that the state he is going to allows

curator
05-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Lee makes two different .50 moulds for their "R.E.A.L" bullet (rifling engraved at loading) One is 250 grains and the other 320 grains. Both of these shoot very well in 1 in 28 and 1 in 32 twist barrels. They are easier to load than those plastic thingies and don't require buying j-word projectiles. I have several inline .50 caliber rifles and they shoot great in all of them. Cost nearly nothing when cast of scrounged soft lead like SOWW. The molds cost about $18, less than a single box of copper pistol slugs. Load them with a home made felt wad under boolit, lubed with 50/50 bee's wax /lard. Shoot all day for pennies.

koger
05-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Word to the wise, if the TC's have the eze loader bore, with no rifling the first 2" or so, they will not shoot powerbelts, they will group decent at 50, but all over the place at 100yds!

Fishman
05-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Word to the wise, if the TC's have the eze loader bore, with no rifling the first 2" or so, they will not shoot powerbelts, they will group decent at 50, but all over the place at 100yds!

I have not found this to be the case in my limited sample of inlines. Not saying you're wrong mind you, just want a little more information. Powerbelts have shot at least reasonably well in every fast twist gun I've tried them in.

nekshot
05-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all input, I will check what state and I am sending him both lee real boolits because he gave me a nice big lead pipe last weekend.
Are over powder wads still needed with the Lee Reals when shooting BH209? I am surprised no Barnes users, any negative expierences with them?

Lever-man
05-27-2015, 08:44 AM
They will group better with a felt or fiber wad over the powder.

rodwha
05-27-2015, 12:32 PM
I wonder if the reason mine needs felt wads is due to havin the deeper PRB grooves and the REAL just didn't completely seal the bore. Maybe it's not an issue with the more shallow grooves that seem more typical in faster twist barrels?

i don't believe the powder type changes anything, but I've only used Old Eynsford BP the few times I tried the REALs.

Pyro&Black
05-28-2015, 08:25 AM
My BIL informed me over the weekend he and his 2 boys are going west on a BP deer stamp they got. They all have almost identical TC 50 cal inlines with 1 in 32 twist. He is not one to try alot of differant things(time is valuable for him) so he asks me and I have 0 expierence with that twist. I said I would go with Barnes or Power Belt bullets but what weight or is there a better combo, it must be simple to use. I guess I might ask what gr. of powder would you use? He told me he uses BH209 and I am sure the guns are set for shotgun primers.

Any Barnes or Knight sabot/bullet between 200-300 grains. The best of their offerings are...
Barnes TE-Z
Barnes Spit-fire TMZ
Barnes Expander MZ
Knight Bloodlines