PDA

View Full Version : I love yard sales!

Ithaca Gunner
05-23-2015, 01:36 PM
I got up early for this one, guns, reloading stuff, and archery advertised in the paper. I got there just after it opened at 7:00AM. I already saw guys toting powder out, so that's what I went for first, scored 2lb.of IMR4895, 1lb. of Reloader 15, 1lb. Bullseye, and a 9oz. Trail Boss at $10.00 per fresh factory sealed container! I could have gotten 2lb of Varget at the same price, but I already have almost 20lb of that in the locker now, and some other powders I don't use I left on the table. A new Speer reloading manual, number 14 for $15.00, and a brand new Galco #150 Miami Classic shoulder holster for Colt Gov't or Commander with mag pouches and belt straps for another $15.00!

The guy had primers, but all that was on the table were Federal small pistol when I got there, (I have plenty, so I let them go at $20.00 a 1,000). Some new cases and bullets, but for the price I passed. A couple of nice Browning doubles, a Winchester M-70 post 64 .30-06, a Steyer .270 and an H&K .45 auto, all reasonably priced, but I didn't need them. All in all, I'm pretty happy with what I got for $80.00!

Sure beats gun shows!

2wheelDuke
05-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Wow, wish yard sales were like that here. If anyone were selling all that here, I bet they wouldn't settle for double those prices.

Artful
05-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Great Score, I'd be happy with that too.

imashooter2
05-23-2015, 03:49 PM
The only reloading / firearms related items I've ever seen on a yard sale table were on the one in front of my house. :(

Congrats on your score. I'd have loved to happen across that Varget even at retail.

Went2kck
05-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I have never seen anything like that at a garage sale.

bullet maker 57
05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Nothing like that here. Might end up on the wrong side of the law.

Hardcast416taylor
05-23-2015, 05:57 PM
With prices like those, sounds like a widow selling off the deceased hubby`s stuff that a non-shooter relative priced out for her.Robert

Ithaca Gunner
05-23-2015, 08:29 PM
It doesn't happen often here, but it's perfectly legal and up front. This is the first one I remember powder primers, and bullets at though, usually it's a few guns, maybe some reloading press's or dies.

This was a guy who was selling off his surplus from what I overheard. Bought the reloading stuff when the monkey with shoes became the tenant of the white house and never used any of it. The guns that I saw were all nice sporters except the H&K .45ACP. Maybe the guy just needed to raise cash in a hurry, beats me, I grabbed what I wanted, paid and left.

smokeywolf
05-23-2015, 08:34 PM
I'd love to see rifles, primers and powder at a garage or yard sale here in Southern Kaliforniastan.

MaryB
05-23-2015, 09:14 PM
They pop up here but we have a local who hits them at 6am and hovers waiting for stuff to be put out... he buys the guns, gets tired of them then I can buy them even cheaper!

Hogtamer
05-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Poor guy was prolly off on a fishing trip and wifey decided to clean out the garage.

Artful
05-23-2015, 10:03 PM
I'd love to see rifles, primers and powder at a garage or yard sale here in Southern Kaliforniastan.

but with guns don't you have to take down to local FFL and have him run thru his books in Kaliforniastan.

smokeywolf
05-23-2015, 10:43 PM
but with guns don't you have to take down to local FFL and have him run thru his books in Kaliforniastan.

They have to legally and physically be transferred through an FFL. You cannot take physical possession of them until the FFL has completed 8 to 10 pages of info on you and you've been cleared by both State and Federal alphabet agencies.

starbits
05-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Around here for a sat/sun garage sale that lists that stuff is as rare as hens teeth. And the last couple I saw someone had stopped by the house on thursday and bought most of the goodies.

Starbits

Cowboy_Dan
05-24-2015, 02:02 AM
I had the find of the century at one on Friday. MEC 650 for $15. It's a bit rusty, but everything seems to move all right. All I need now is 16 ga and .410 bore conversion kits. [smilie=w:

richhodg66
05-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Used to see garage sales like that in Alaska but nowhere else. The small towns here all have a city wide yard sale once a year and occasionally run across a shooting or reloading item or two, but nothing like that.

375supermag
05-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Hi...

i see yard sales with guns and shooting supplies pretty often here in southcentral Pa.

I actually bought my LC Smith 12ga side by side at a yard sale in East York, Pa. about 20 years ago. Cost me $80US.

A few years ago, I stopped at a yard sale a few miles from my house because the front yard looked like an open air gun shop. Guy must have had 20 rifles and shotguns for sale. I didn't buy anything...mostly run of the mill stuff. I remember seeing Ted Williams shotguns from Sears, a few marked Revelation or Western Field(IIRC) and a couple that had been Bubbaed-up.

I also sold a Remington 788 .30/30 at a yard sale about 35 years ago. I got more than any local gun shop would give me for it, which is why I sold it at my yard sale.
All perfectly legal here in Pa.

I regularly see reloading dies, used presses and such at yard sales. Usually dirty, rusted and worth much less than they are priced at.

MrWolf
05-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Try that in NJ and local/State/SWAT would have it staked out as a terrorist supply depot. I keep telling myself with everything going on "next year" and I am gone.

gew98
05-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Try that in NJ and local/State/SWAT would have it staked out as a terrorist supply depot. I keep telling myself with everything going on "next year" and I am gone.

I can remember at Collingwood Flea market back in the late 70's early 80's some of the old timers at the tables there would occassionally have an old military peice - in their vehicle for sale. I bought a handfull of decent jap , brit and various mil rifles from them at fair prices. Even some old civil war shooters and once a goregous german reichsrevolver. One time a dealer said he had a mauser for me and owuld have it next weekend. Yeah he did.... jackarse put it on the table and an undercover state blooper bought it and hauled him off. Minutes before they popped him he was bragging how he sold it already and I missed out. I had bought an old wood box filled to the brim with various old military ammo just before I got to his table. The state bloopers tried to cajole me into turning the ammo over to them...I was'nt having that and they could not legally make me hand it over !.
Newjerkistan was a sh*thole then and is ever worse now. I last set foot in that cesspool in '96 and have no reason to soil my boots again.

375supermag
05-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Just one of the reasons I choose not to live in NJ.

mold maker
05-24-2015, 02:28 PM
I once found a Mec 650 at a yard sale. There were some goodies with it, but the price was way over new, including the goodies.