PDA

View Full Version : First casts with an RCBS 44-370-FN

ohland
05-22-2015, 07:29 PM
After the mold came up to temp, it was scary easy to dump good boolits. This is a DUAL cavity mold. I see the current ones are single cavity.

The bottom 4 drive bands are @ .447-.448, there's that little "band" where the nose ogive meets the groove diameter, that thin band is .450. The nose is .440 where it hits that little "band".

Bases are sweet.

At this point, the old retrobate is perplexed that (according to him) they will not easily size in a LAM II with a .446 H&I die. He almost pulled the LAM off the bench trying to remove the boolit. (?)

I've not investigated this yet. This boolit is for a size to diameter of .446 (according to RCBS). We are using WW, water drop boolits. The last time I tested this with my Lee hardness tester, that boolit came out with a BHN of @ 12 or 18 (five years...).

NOTE: Tested this morning with Lee Hardness tester, indent of @ 50, BHN of 19 and change.

NOTE: tested some boolits the old retrobate was lubing, indent of @60, they tested about 14 and change for hardness.

I have not bought, or added, linotype. I added about 3oz of Tin prior to casting. This is getting in the way for making an Argentine RB throw some lead downrange... Groove is .445-.446, bore is @ .439-.440

Can I just pan lube this bullet (assuming the loaded case fits the chamber)?

PS. Cerrosafe casting attempt was worse than a root canal.

ascast
05-22-2015, 07:44 PM
yes that was my experience with that mold, my first RCBS. it's hard to cast a bad one what are you shooting it in ?