PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify mystery metal

Hallorann
03-18-2008, 09:00 PM
This metal was in a bucket of WW that I was given for casting bullets:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/623/23979029dk1.jpg

Most of it is in the form of tiny rectangular sticks. Some of the larger pieces look as though they have been used for printing:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3345/30470532wd6.jpg

It bends easily, but is not as heavy as lead. I'm not sure why someone would mix this in with WW. What is this stuff?

MtGun44
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
There are several variations in printing processes, but I would say you have
the classic "lin-o-type" - linotype metal, high tin content. Save it for
high vel rifle loads or mix small qty with ww to improve castability. Definitly
keep it separate and blend as needed, this is getting pretty valuable these
days.

There are some other, less common types - monotype comes to mind, but someone
else will have to help with the others. I have and use linotype, but not the
others.

Bill

HeavyMetal
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes sir that is type metal!

It could be any one of 8 or 9 different alloys used in printing and doesn't have to be "lino"!

This is why you must have a hardness tester of some type.

If I had this material I'd melt a handful in a cast iron pot on the kitchen stove and cast up a dozen or so full wadcutters in as big a boolit mold as you got. then put the rest in an ingot and mark it as type metal.

Then check out the hardness level. The reason I'd do it this way is type metals can soften with use and trying to check them as they are can give false(softer) readings.

Handloader Mag had a few annuals published This info is from one of the articles:

Lino type is 84% lead 12% antimony and 4% tin BHN will be 21.5

sterotype is 80% lead 14& antimony and 6% tin BHN will be 25.0

Monotype is 76% lead 17% antimony and 7% tin BHN will be28.0

Foundrytype is 62%lead 23% antimony and 15% tin I have no BHN reading fo this metal.

As you can see knowing what you have will make it easier to blend and will allow you to get the maximum out of the alloy you have.

Hope this helps out.

HeavyMetal
03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
BY the way I suspect this metal came from a company that did it's own printing, the strip your showing says: Please return this copy with payment

I'll bet this is sterotype.

Alchemist
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Most likely linotype...it is good stuff, and like heavymetal stated, you want to separate it from the WW and add as necessary to harden other alloy. Some of the data in Lyman load manuals name linotype as the alloy used for the bullet listed. If you can find out where it came from you might be able to get more of it. I'v been scrounging any kind of lead I can get my paws on for 30 years...it gets addicting!

Alchemist