PDA

View Full Version : Sprue Plate Adjustment--Lee 6 Cavity Mold

lightload
05-22-2015, 03:49 PM
When casting with RCBS or Lyman iron 2 cavity molds, I untighten the sprue plate screw. Now the plate floats or rests lightly on the mold, and the result is two fold. The plate no longer can be held in a non level position as it might if a tight screw is bearing down on one corner. Another is that for me lead smear is reduced. This technique works for me.

I have a new Lee 6 cavity mold and am asking if anybody here uses this method with one.

stubert
05-22-2015, 04:27 PM
I like to keep them free swinging also.

rsrocket1
05-22-2015, 04:39 PM
The sprue plate screw on my Lee 6 cavity molds (I have 6 of them so far) "bottoms out" before you can get it too tight against the sprue plate. It leaves just enough additional space for the wave washer to very lightly compress. The problem is that if you don't keep that screw snugly in the threads, it will back out and eventually you start to see nubs extending out of the sprue plate holes from the dropped bullets. Some folks drill and tap a set screw to hold the sprue plate screw in place. I simply check the "snugness" of the screw and keep a wrench on the casting table as part of the routine.

lightload
05-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. The Lee 6C molds may be the best deal in the reloading world. I have casted with various Lee 2C molds with excellent results and look forward to cranking up the pot again after a long absence due to health problems. My lower back has enough titanium parts to make two N frame cylinders. Both shoulders are overdue for the same treatment. So, lead poisoning is way down on my list of concerns.

DLCTEX
05-22-2015, 10:53 PM
I drill and tap through the side of the mould for a set screw to keep the screw for the sprue plate set where I want it.

pappy4
05-24-2015, 02:01 AM
The sprue plate screw on my Lee 6 cavity molds (I have 6 of them so far) "bottoms out" before you can get it too tight against the sprue plate. It leaves just enough additional space for the wave washer to very lightly compress. The problem is that if you don't keep that screw snugly in the threads, it will back out and eventually you start to see nubs extending out of the sprue plate holes from the dropped bullets. Some folks drill and tap a set screw to hold the sprue plate screw in place. I simply check the "snugness" of the screw and keep a wrench on the casting table as part of the routine.

Ditto

MT Chambers
05-25-2015, 02:37 PM
The Lee mold is designed so the sprue plate screw will back out of the soft aluminum and ruin the threads in the process, there are fixes you can read about on this site.

prs
05-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Two tips here for the Lee 6 cav molds.

1. Do NOT touch the sprue plate handle during the pour or chill phase of casting. Keep a modest handshake type of pressure on the main handles only.

2. Do NOT let the sprue strip freeze to firmly before opening the mold. Should open very easily and best to do so as soon as possible without smearing lead.

prs