PDA

View Full Version : What luck

Gussy
03-18-2008, 10:50 AM
My neighbor was in the mountains last hunting season driving on one of the many roads and he sees something in the road. Stops and picks up a stainless Ruger blackhawk!!!!! The wood had been roughed up but it was otherwise fine.

He took it to town and left in with the local authorities. 3 months later he went back and no one had come forward to report it missing, lost, or????

He now has a nice stainless blackhawk!!! He just put new grips on it and a scope. Being in the right place at the right time, priceless!

PatMarlin
03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
My buddy found a Ruger Single Six like that on horseback once. Rugers are a wondering species. Best to keep them on a leash or pened up.

Gussy
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
My buddy found a Ruger Single Six like that on horseback once. Rugers are a wondering species. Best to keep them on a leash or pened up.

Yep. My buddy came crawling out of some heavy brush just at dark. Removed his EMPTY holster. He was sick, no single six. Just at dark on a Sunday night and we had to drive out of the mountains back home.

Next Saturday morning we were back up there. He crawled back down the same path he had came up and there she was!! It was a bit rusty from a week in the dirt. Cleaned up pretty good. After that, it was tied down. I bought a Ruger flap holster for mine!!

HamGunner
03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
About 25 years ago a friend and I were floating down a fairly rain swollen river in a canoe here in SW Missouri and of course we lost it going over a rocky rapid. He lost his stainless single-six out of his holster. There was no use looking for it then. We could not even stand up in the current.

I went back about a week or so later after the water had gone down a bit and jumped in with a scuba mask on and found it first try. I took it home and stripped it all the way down, even the tiny springs and screws. No problem-no rust, even on the blued parts.

I had my buddy come over and I handed the box full of parts to him. He looked in it and just laughed. He had no clue how to put it back together. We reconstructed it into a single-six again and he still has it today.

Rugers just want to be found, not lost.

montana_charlie
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
My buddy and I were out to spend twelve days of elk season in the Beartooth Game Range, over near Helena, Montana. This was back when the area was still uncrowded enough to enjoy hunting, and 'ol Hubert' was the ranger who had the job of Game Range Manager.

One afternoon, a hunter came back to the campground near the check station with a Weatherby .300 he had found on one of the horse trails. When he showed it to Hubert, he was told to keep it in his tent until somebody reported a loss.

Later that evening, one of the 'horseback hunters' came in with his sad story.
This guy was a loud-spoken type, and was pretty full of himself. He just couldn't believe that such a tradgey had happened to someone as wonderful as himself.

Hubert asked if I would walk over to the 'finder's' tent, and ask him to bring the rifle.
As he and I approached the little group at the check station, Hubert announced that, "This gentleman, here, may have found that rifle you lost."

The dude stepped forward and took possession of the gun; crowed something like, "Yep, that's my baby!"; and ambled off wiping dust from of the scope.

He never thanked the 'finder' in any way.

Those of us standing there just shook our heads in amazement. You can bet that none of us was inclined to help that sucker out...in any way...if he should ever need it in the future.

The memory has stayed with me for twenty years...for some reason.
CM

hpdrifter
03-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Heck, I went out hunting one time and came back with my Ruger auto pistol and lost the holster.

Bret4207
03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
The Ruger stories are why I like flap holsters and lanyard rings. I used to fish with an old guy, a millwright of extraordinary talent but with a passion for the bottle. He was a friend of my Dads and was very good to me. When we went stream fishing he always carried a 38-40, Smith or Colt I can;t say, but it did have a lanyard ring and lanyard which he always used. Bears were a problem and from what I was told they seemed to have something in for him. Evidently he had killed several black bears with the old 38-40. He was an interesting guy- fished with an ancient steel rod and an automatic fly reel using 2 wet flies. The man could catch trout! He later killed his dog, his wife and his self after her health declined to the point he couldn't care for her. A sad end made sadder as I don't think I ever thanked him when I got older. I wish I had...

DLCTEX
03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Several years ago I was hunting with one of my sons who was carrying his rifle and had his Glock in a shoulder holster he paid good money for. After we had spent a while beating the brush I came into the open and heard loud mutterings and saw the shoulder holster flying through the air. I picked it up and tried to return it to him, but he refused to take it saying it had just cost him his Glock. I backtracked him for half an hour and found the pistol. I still have the holster and use it regularly, but find myself checking frequently to see if my 1911 is still there. DALE

1Shirt
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Lost a nice 340 Sav, 30-30, and a lot of other gear in the Chena river in Alaska in a canoe overturn in rapids. Also lost the canoe that busted up on a snag. Was sort of a bad hair day!
1Shirt!:coffee:

danski26
03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
I witnessed a young 2nd LT lose his career when he lost his Beretta going through the surf zone one morning. Salvage divers searched the zone to no avail. He was relieved of his platoon. Lanyards where mandatory and he decided not to use his.

PatMarlin
03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
I had a 1 in a million find yesterday. I had lost the rubber tip off of my air blower tool for blowing compressed air.

It had popped off, and flew into the engine somewheres. I know it's stupid, but since it wasn't on the floor I figured it was finally gone. The damn tip has flown off every time I've used it for the past 20 years.

Well yesterday I walk about a mile to my neighbors house with my dog, and on the way back I look down on the road and there's the rubber tip. Ha! I couldn't beleive it.. :mrgreen:

woody1
03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I had a 1 in a million find yesterday. I had lost the rubber tip off of my air blower tool for blowing compressed air.

It had popped off, and flew into the engine somewheres. I know it's stupid, but since it wasn't on the floor I figured it was finally gone. The damn tip has flown off every time I've used it for the past 20 years.

Well yesterday I walk about a mile to my neighbors house with my dog, and on the way back I look down on the road and there's the rubber tip. Ha! I couldn't beleive it.. :mrgreen:

I believe you Pat. One place where I used to work we had a saying in the break room that "the first liar doesn't have a chance!"
Regards, Woody

Nazgul
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Lost my mind awhile ago, shortly after daughter #3 was born. Haven't seen it since. If you find it keep it. Wouldn't know what to do with it now that she is old enough to drive.