PDA

View Full Version : What is the best/most accruate case comparator money can buy?

xman777
05-18-2015, 07:04 PM
I want to get into a nice setup for monitoring concentricity, runout, case headspace etc. I know a lot of gauges claim to do it all but I'm sure none do. Someone want to weigh in on good options?
Some criteria that would help me significantly would be that it accept a redding gauge because I have 3 of them from an estate sale.

Many thanks in advance.

reed1911
05-19-2015, 07:29 AM
Well, a tool room set-up would be the most accurate and most expensive, but I'm pretty sure you do not want to spend 30,000 dollars on one.

Maybe if you define a little more of what you feel is the highest priority for you we can all weigh in with some ideas.

xman777
05-19-2015, 07:58 AM
Problem is I don't know what I want. I've been getting by with an RCBS casemaster which I feel is highly unrepeatable. I have some higher end equipment for neck turning and bullet tipping for my swages but no real way to measure the effectiveness of what I am doing. Calipers are nice but maybe not for this type of work.

I'd like to measure my swaged bullets in some indexable, repeatable fashion.
I'd like to measure runout, neck concentricity, headspace of my case conversions and maybe some other things that I don't even know to look for.
The goal is simply better quality control through various measurements.
If a tool exists that can measure everything effectively then that's the tool I need. If it has to be pieced together, then I'll entertain that route as well.
Thanks.

AggieEE
05-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Take a look at Sinclear (sp?) Has some good looking stuff that the benchrest folks use.

Love Life
05-19-2015, 01:00 PM
http://www.bullettipping.com/products_concentricitygauge.html

country gent
05-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Its easier to check each step as needed than try and do it all at one time when case forming. ASInclairs has everything you need. I made a gage with a mititoyo .0001 indicater for measureing neck wall theckness that works great and sinclairs sells one also. Concentricity of cases cane be checked with a gage also. Looking for "bannana" shaped cases isnt to bad with the sinclair gages. Anotherr is the wilson style case gages these allow measuring to see if headspace or shoulder location is correct with a granite plate and or hieght gage indicator. Set a go gage in the gage and zero indicator to it then check your cases to this zero by checking 4 points you will see if case heads are square or not. Keep in mind accross a 1/2" dia .0005 is a lot out. Look at sinclairs, Brunos, wilson, for these tools

JSH
05-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Imagine you know but I will throw it out any way, after been there done that.
All the case prep and perfect ammo built, put into a non perfect chamber will gain you very very little.
I have three guns that I tune ammo for and that is it. I find myself shooting them less every year. Not because of the work, but well, they are boring.

williamwaco
05-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Do some research to decide what you want to measure.

None of them measure everything. Some measure bullet runout and some measure cartridge runout.

xman777
05-19-2015, 04:20 PM
http://www.bullettipping.com/products_concentricitygauge.html

Its perfect. Almost. I cant believe that I own a tipping die from here and had no idea they made this.