PDA

View Full Version : Having a "senior moment"! What members here make gas checks?

bedbugbilly
05-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Having a "senior moment". :-( I'm getting overrun with chipmunks and gophers and I want to load up some 38 spell. "snake shot" loads using either an aluminum or copper gas check under and over the shot load. I know there are several members who make gas checks but even after a search, I didn't come up with the member's ID. I don't need a whole lot of 'em - I'd like to get about 200 to 500 aluminum 38 cal. gas checks - can someone point me in the right direction?

In the past, I've tried the Speer shot capsule but I don't really care for them. I do leather work as a hobby so want to play around using a gas check under the shot load and also cut some 1/8" or so leather "wads" and try them under the shot in place of a gas check to see which "pushes" the shot the best. I'm thinking that I might take an old 38/357 seating die, alter the seating stem if necessary, so I can use it to "seat" the under shot gas check or wad deeper in the case and then adjust the die to seat the over shot gas check - then put a moderate roll crimp on the case mouth. Thanks.

elwood4884
05-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Bedbugbilly, There are at least two of us in the Vendor Sponsors section. Would definately like to help you out!

bedbugbilly
05-18-2015, 12:19 PM
John - duh! That's the one section I didn't check - talk about "senior moment"! I sent you a PM. Checked your link to your site but didn't see any gas checks for 38/357 listed? Or am I missing them? Thanks!

Jim

Cowboy_Dan
05-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Bedbug, check the .35 caliber ones, they should be what you want.

elwood4884
05-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Cowboy is correct. 35 Caliber Gas checks should fit 38/357.

TheCelt
05-18-2015, 01:13 PM
.38 case cut cardboard works too if ya want to load some on the cheap.

Dragonheart
05-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Since I used to load shot capsules to shoot South Texas Rattlesnakes, I question whether your method is going to get enough shot in a 38 case to be beneficial? I also think you are going to have a very wide pattern. But it might be a fun project.

Blammer
05-18-2015, 09:39 PM
I'd use the cardboard idea for snake shot, GC's are kinda pricey for that. :)

bedbugbilly
05-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone - greatly appreciate the help. Another "senior moment" in not "clicking" that .35 GC ARE for 38s - duh! All I can say is that it's been a couple of long weeks the past couple of weeks and I'm not "hitting on all eight"! :-)

Dragonheart - I know what you're saying and you may very well be right. I like "experimenting" and "playing" so we'll see how it goes. Fortunately, my wife and I usually leave southern AZ each spring just as the snakes are starting to come out - and of course it's not a problem here in MI but we do have other little "critters" that the shot shells will work on. Most of my gopher/chipmunk "hunting" will be at pretty close ranges. I used to do it years ago with 22 shot shells which was like shooting talcum powder at 'em but close up, they nailed them. Unfortunately, I don't have any on hand and can't find them on the shelf so I'll play with the 38s and see what I can put together that gives the best results. I load quite a few 38 Colt Short and those little cases WOULD be a challenge as far as "shot capacity"! LOL

John (VulcanChecks) got me straightened out and taken care of - just sent him an order so will look forward to seeing how it works out.

Thanks everyone for the help - will post my results when I get it worked out. The worst I can do is fail but it will still be fun!