PDA

View Full Version : Charging a PCP

jmorris
05-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Does anyone have information on building a shoebox style compressor?

I have thought about automating a manual pump with timers for duty cycle but thought I might see what information others may have found.

HARRYMPOPE
05-18-2015, 01:13 PM
FX (i think) had a sytem for using their handpump with power.

Gunor
05-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Not answering your post. But I was thinking of getting a HP 150CF tank - nitrogen or air. Cost for the tank is $235 (buy) + $16 fill.

PCP Fill Calculator: http://www.calc.sikes.us/2/index.php

Over 200-300 fills, depending on fill/residual pressures.

I am fortunate to have an industrial supply and a SCUBA shop in town. And lucky to buy a cheap HP regulator.

Geoff in Oregon, with a .177 Marauder...

ebner glocken
05-20-2015, 02:53 AM
I went ahead bit the bullet and bought a shoebox. It was some cash up front but in the end am very happy with it. It just doesn't fill a 550 CID tank in much of a hurry.

Ebner with a hatsan .22 BT65

Pakprotector
05-20-2015, 07:35 AM
I went ahead bit the bullet and bought a shoebox. It was some cash up front but in the end am very happy with it. It just doesn't fill a 550 CID tank in much of a hurry.

Ebner with a hatsan .22 BT65

But it does get the job done, and I am quite happy to be free of dealing with dive shops.
cheers,
Douglas

jmorris
05-20-2015, 10:37 PM
I like to build stuff and have argon and co2 in bulk tanks and this caught my attention.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=16533.0

a lot less machine work and looks promising.

condor257
05-21-2015, 09:25 AM
I have the shoe box as well at the cost to build something like it you might end up spending more and getting less. They are slow but run like a clock.

ebner glocken
05-22-2015, 07:00 AM
But it does get the job done, and I am quite happy to be free of dealing with dive shops.
cheers,
Douglas

Yes, it does get the job done. The primary reason I bought it was to be free from dealing with dive shops and as stand alone as possible. I could justify it quite easily as the nearest shop is a 50 mile round trip and can't be done easily with the hours I keep. My best guess is with running the shoebox and my shop compressor as a first stage each fill cost me about a buck in electricity. It takes me around 3 hours to fill my bottle from 3000 to 4000 PSI, this is close to 2 weeks of bird shooting for a buddy and myself (he shoots an AT44 in .22). I do recommend you buy yourself an inline air dryer.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other guns owned here that get shot as much or get as much fun for the dime as these PCPs. If you shoot more than 2 tins a month you'll be glad you bought your own compressor in no time.

Ebner

lathesmith
06-05-2015, 10:44 AM
"I do recommend you buy yourself an inline air dryer."

Absolutely! If you don't use something to filter the moisture out, the inside of your beautiful PCP's will be a mess in no time at all.

"Off the top of my head I can't think of any other guns owned here that get shot as much or get as much fun for the dime as these PCPs. If you shoot more than 2 tins a month you'll be glad you bought your own compressor in no time."

Excellent advice, I couldn't agree more.

jmorris
06-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys, I wound up making a booster pump and will give it a full test next week when my 4500 psi tanks, fittings and rifle get here.

I tested it up to 4000 psi so far and only have $18 and an hour of time in it so far, looks promising.

Tom_et
06-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, I wound up making a booster pump so far and only have $18 and an hour of time in it so far, looks promising.
ok where are the details??? :D

jmorris
06-06-2015, 03:50 PM
In the homemade booster pump thread I started a week or so after this one.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279294-Homemade-booster-pump-test