PDA

View Full Version : Spring Merical Mountain Rendezvous, 2015

waksupi
05-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Spring Merical Mountain Rendezvous, 2015

Great time, perfect weather. Lots of musicians this spring! It was really nice having the Montana trappers association join us again this spring. Not only do we learn new techniques, the stories are fascinating, ranging from a life threatening survival situation thirty miles back in the South Fork in midwinter, to trapping lions in Africa, to back country rescues. The cross cut saw competition was a lot of fun for everyone, and of course the young folks kicked the old folks butts.

RED333
05-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Looks like a good time, thanks for sharing.

OverMax
05-18-2015, 08:15 AM
That's the first Cross-Cut I've seen in awhile that wasn't rusted. Can imagine it had to be fun watch'en them gals squealing & a giggling push'en that 2/man saw back & forth. Enjoyed (all) the pix's waksupi.
Curious now. Who came the farthest? (State)

waksupi
05-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Well, there was a new transplant from Connecticut there, but that doesn't really count. I heard a few people say they had drove for 5-6 hours to get there, they being from Washington.
There was no squealing and giggling from those girls, they are serious competitors in any thing they do. One of them shot a 21 on a possible 22 course.

KCSO
05-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Waksupi, looks like a nice rendevous but I see you guys seem to have the same problem we do here... A lack of youg folks getting in. We figured it out this spring and the average age of our 25 camps at the shoot was 58 years old. We were down to 5 young folks in the whole bunch! I sure hate to see this. My kids grew up in a tipi or a tent at rendevous and now they are 40 years old and the grand kids are realyy not that interested in going. If they do go they want to pack a load of electronic **** along.

I feel like a dinosaur waiting for the big comet.

waksupi
05-18-2015, 10:16 AM
We actually do get quite a few younger people. A couple of our members are mentors to the 4H and Boy Scouts. They are quite active, and enthusiastic about rendezvous, so we do have a new generation following us.

salvadore
05-21-2015, 12:35 AM
We stopped at the West Yellowstone rendezvous last year or the year before. Tents full of cheap **** for the tourists, eateries I can't comment on. A few authentic looking mountain men selling overpriced moth eaten pelts. Surrounded by modern camp trailers for the participants.

Back in the late seventies early eighties gun shows had authentic looking mountain men with works of art rifles wandering the aisles.

Modern rendezvous are more carny and less authentic.

waksupi
05-21-2015, 12:39 AM
We stopped at the West Yellowstone rendezvous last year or the year before. Tents full of cheap **** for the tourists, eateries I can't comment on. A few authentic looking mountain men selling overpriced moth eaten pelts. Surrounded by modern camp trailers for the participants.

Back in the late seventies early eighties gun shows had authentic looking mountain men with works of art rifles wandering the aisles.

Modern rendezvous are more carny and less authentic.

The West Yellowstone rendezvous has always been a tourist trap operation. A good rule of thumb, if it is open to the general public, stay away from them, especially if you are a trader. You will be robbed blind by the shop lifters.

salvadore
05-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up waksupi.