PDA

View Full Version : In case of fire, have back up ?

Digger
05-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Been careful all these years , but all it takes is "once" .
On occasion have read about a situation happening now and then and have a fire extinguisher handy but cottoned on to this little toy lately ...
Would seem to be real handy to have in the mancave or shop or close by as mine is small and enclosed .
link:
http://www.statx.com/First_Responder.asp

imashooter2
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Looks like some reasonably impressive stuff, but awfully expensive. I already have extinguishers and alarms in place. Not sure I can justify the additional cost.

Multigunner
05-17-2015, 06:44 PM
That looks to be a very useful product.

I have two fire extinguishers, one mounted on my bedroom wall right next to the doorway.
I just realized I took the kitchen fire extinguisher off the wall when repainting and forgot to put it back, thanks for this reminder.

This extinguishing grenade seems to be harmless, but might be useful in freaking out intruders if you tossed one in the room they had entered. I doubt they'd stick around long enough to realise it wasn't a police tear gas bomb.

rosewood
05-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice. That would scare the fool out of an intruder if you tossed it their way. LOL

Digger
05-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Yeah , I realize it is expensive but ....tough choice sometimes .
Been contemplating this for quite a while as my first thought was in our pipeline industry .
Our welders are usually down in the hole doing their thing and we always have a man on top with an extinguisher but have also seen these people panic in a pinch when seconds count , getting confused , even with practice.
Thought about giving this to the welder to have next to him in the hole ....
Just to buy time for exit , besides the extinguisher man on top.
And today it occurred to me about my shed/mancave ... have extinguishers handy but no situation is ever the same.

timspawn
05-17-2015, 07:08 PM
This would have been perfect for when my house caught fire.

Digger
05-17-2015, 08:53 PM
This would have been perfect for when my house caught fire.

Sorry to hear about the fire timspawn ...

lancem
05-18-2015, 08:26 AM
According to the FAQ not available for home use, professional use only.

SharpsShooter
05-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Yeah, that was going to be my question also. How do civilians get a hold of these little items??

SS

Geraldo
05-18-2015, 09:18 AM
This reminds me of the antique glass balls that were filled with agent (probably carbon tet) that were meant to be thrown at fires. The product info says that it is mostly to buy time for suppression efforts, not be a total suppression system. My career experience with fires is that workshops are about the last place they start. Kitchens, clothes dryers, and cigarettes were the top three. True electrical fires aren't as common as people think and are usually caused by way overloaded wiring or bad electrical work.

Small fires by our definition were one involved room (more or less) and probably took a minimum of 50-100 gallons of water to extinguish (based on what we flowed in attack lines). Some departments use foam systems that reduce the amount of water, but it's still more punch than you can get out of any home extinguisher.

smokeywolf
05-18-2015, 09:31 AM
I keep an extinguisher in each bedroom, one at each end of the hallway, one in the kitchen, one outside by the smoker and two in the shop; one by the bench and one by the door. The two in the shop are the bigger ones with the attached hose. Just bought another to rotate an expiring one out of the queue.

timspawn
05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Mine was an electrical fire caused by a dog. I was eight hours away hunting in GA. My wife, daughter and son in law left my house to go visit my mother in law who was in a nursing home an hour away. My deaf Jack Russel who was most likely sleeping, got locked in a room that my wife uses for crafting. It was loaded with all kinds of electric gadgets she uses to craft. Not to mention a computer and several printers. The dog woke up at some point and freaked out because he was locked in the room and started chewing on some cords that were plugged in behind a desk. When my family got back the house was full of smoke and they could see the fire which was still small through the window. It was contained in the room. My son in law broke the window (I know...bad idea but he did what he thought was right) to try and get some water on it. That would have been the perfect time to have one of those devices to throw into the room.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-18-2015, 11:32 AM
I had a cloths dryer fire this last year, got it out despite my house extinguisher being dead , I used the hose from the laundry tub to slow it down while my son went for the fire extinguisher in my truck , after a little time at the hospital on oxygen I was fine

what I learned and can pass along.

water slows but will not put out burning plastic very well and there appears to be no such thing as a cloths dryer without a number of internal plastic parts any more.

smoke alarms on every level of the house in every room - these are cheap and buy you the most important thing TIME the smoke alarm in my basement went off the one at the top of the basement stairs never did even though the door was open the hole time

make sure to have a fire extinguisher on every level of the home AND one more with a HOSE in the kitchen. if you have a larger house and your more than 20 feet from your extinguisher add another

the hose is important because , fire extinguishers need to be held upright when discharged if you have an appliance fire or need to get it in a hole you need the hose to get there.

fire extinguishers the small 4 -5 pound house hold type are good for 8-12 seconds of deployment.

turn your extinguisher upside down every year and whack the bottom with a rubber mallet , the agent is like baking flour and cakes with time.

I think that if every person 10 or older was trained in fire extinguisher use , extinguishers were present in every home and auto 50% or more of the fires would be extinguished before they could spread and the fire department would spend a lot more time coming to evaluate and ensure the fire was fully out than showing up to a house or room full of flames.

ohland
05-18-2015, 06:16 PM
True electrical fires aren't as common as people think and are usually caused by way overloaded wiring or bad electrical work.

You have never seen any electrical work as breathtaking as from Afghan contractors. Add to that, folks daisy chaining multiple power strips off one power strip. Direct wiring of conductors to fixtures, and I don't mean through conduit , BX, or ROMEX.

Topping things off, the practice of the Afghan contractors was to use kerosene as a thinner before painting the wooden uppers on our billets... Imagine a very dry climate, painted wood [dry as can be], and insane electrical safety...

andremajic
05-18-2015, 08:26 PM
"Zero ozone depletion, zero atmospheric life, and insignificant global warming potential"

They lost me on that part of the sales pitch...

timspawn
05-18-2015, 09:04 PM
"Zero ozone depletion, zero atmospheric life, and insignificant global warming potential"

They lost me on that part of the sales pitch...

They probably did that so they could sell it in California.

MaryB
05-18-2015, 09:17 PM
I have 2 extinguishers in the shop off the deck(also double for smoker fires when I roll out the Traeger that lives in the shop) 2 in the living room, 1 of them for delicate electronics(laser engraver), and smaller ones scattered around the house as needed. Being disabled and slow on my feet many days rather have one a few feet away than try to get one 20 feet away.

leeggen
05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
At one time, in the 70's,they came out with something like this thaqt was freon in a glass globe. Worked pretty good but was not good for the living in the room, suffication would accure. Anything that sufficates the fire is good in its own way.
CD

2wheelDuke
05-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Interesting product. I wouldn't mind having a couple hanging around. Seems that they were designed for patrol cars. I don't see the city buying them for every car, but I'd like having the option to deploy them before FD showed up, since we always beat them to fires.

runfiverun
05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
make your own.
baking soda in a glass jar can't cost that much.

Geraldo
05-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Interesting product. I wouldn't mind having a couple hanging around. Seems that they were designed for patrol cars. I don't see the city buying them for every car, but I'd like having the option to deploy them before FD showed up, since we always beat them to fires.

Not a bad idea if the FD has a good response time (in this part of Florida FD response is 8-9 minutes: not good). Even if you only used them on fires with victims trapped you might buy them just enough time for the FD to get them out alive.

On other notes, we used CO2 extinguishers on dryers and cooking oil for obvious reasons. The best extinguishers for general contents are pressurized water.

andremajic
05-19-2015, 10:01 AM
make your own.
baking soda in a glass jar can't cost that much.

Yep, that's basically the ingredient in the dry powder extinguishers for oil based fires if I recall correctly.

Andy

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-19-2015, 12:40 PM
we are a volenteer fired department , meaning you make your 911 call they set off the siren and the voice pagers the volenteers have to drive their personal vihicle to the fire station in the middle of town then grab their turn outs and jump in a truck they have to wait for a driver and 2 or 3 crew to get in the truck before they can leave the station then they drive to your house and fire fighting can begin , the siren shuts off when they clear it from the fire station 3-5 minutes add however long it is from the fire station to your house in my case 4-5 minutes.

the good news is the cop can be to your house by about the time the siren stops 3-5 minutes so I could see where this could be a good thing for a squad car to carry , but I don't think it is a replacement for strategically placed fire extinguishers throught the home and a little experience using them .
when seconds count help is only minutes away.

MaryB
05-20-2015, 02:18 AM
I remember when the fire station siren was actually a coded signal saying where in town the fire was so dept members could head straight for the fire.