PDA

View Full Version : she did her part

nagantguy
05-16-2015, 09:23 PM
I told my daughter who will be 11 next month if she draws up a plan and finds material in my many scrape piles and builds a rabbit hutch she could get rabbits, two for pets and the rest for food or swapping . she drew it up on her sketch pad found the lumber and fencing and except for the circular saw cuts she built it, we just returned home with some mini lop rabbits! I love it when she follows through with a plan or desire, its a good hutch simple and sturdy they will have shelter and be free from predators. The amount of work in the garden and with the chickens and fire wood she has taken on this year really makes me proud, she gets our make it your self trade for it or live without it life style, she even concluded the rabbit deal with a hand shake to pastor Bill who sold them to us! Her and the wife fell in love with a goat he had, and my daughter offered to by it by doing work on his farm! He asked what she could do, she said dig holes put up.fence, stack wood pull weeds and shoot raccoons and woodchucks and tend chickens.

ph4570
05-16-2015, 09:28 PM
You are raising that one well.

Artful
05-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Sounds like you have plant her roots well into common sense and ethical behavior.

Congratulations Dad.

Do you need a rabbit recipe?

pworley1
05-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Good for her.

1989toddm
05-16-2015, 09:49 PM
That is awesome!

BrassMagnet
05-16-2015, 10:07 PM
If the bottom of the hutch is 2x4, the metal mesh should be on both sides of the bottom 2x4's to keep cats from pulling the rabbit's feet through the wire mesh.

Bzcraig
05-16-2015, 10:16 PM
First thought is, your daughter by 16 will be completely responsible and totally self sufficient!

Second thought, BrassMagnet posted in a thread that wasn't selling something!

nagantguy
05-16-2015, 10:22 PM
If the bottom of the hutch is 2x4, the metal mesh should be on both sides of the bottom 2x4's to keep cats from pulling the rabbit's feet through the wire mesh.
She thought of that, the bottom of the pen is two large pallets like what soda pop is shipped in the openings are small and triangular so pop can be swept out feet can't go through and there is six inches of dead space between top and bottom!

trails4u
05-16-2015, 11:04 PM
Good on you , nagant....

Tough to raise them that way these days! I have a 13yo boy working on rabbit hutches right now, from pallet wood he's pulling apart himself. He met a man we trade with some, mostly in chickens, but the man also raises rabbits. My youngin' saw the $$, so now he's a man on a mission. :) I just hope he has the follow through your youngin' has!!!!! :)4

GoodOlBoy
05-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Yep, raisin that one right buddy. And just wait until you start shovelin all that rabbit pellet onto the tomaters and they go wild!

GoodOlBoy

fast ronnie
05-16-2015, 11:34 PM
First thought is, your daughter by 16 will be completely responsible and totally self sufficient!

Second thought, BrassMagnet posted in a thread that wasn't selling something!

OR buying something before someone else has a chance!

2thepoint
05-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Be proud!!! In many places parenting seems to be a lost art. Good luck with the bunnies

Blammer
05-18-2015, 11:18 PM
good for her! Now make sure get gets a good education and she'll go far.

nagantguy
05-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Making sure she reads plenty, working with plants and animals and going to work with me and building what we need and closely monitoring her school work and grades, making sire she knows Jesus and being active in community and sports I'm trying to make sure she gets an education! She said after watching the rooster and hens hatching eggs that she didn't need sex ed at school lol. She can shoot fish garden fight pray and build things. I've failed at things in life and not been the human being I should have been at times I'm hoping to give her the tools to be better and smarter than me!