PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to split the wood dowel when opening up a lee bullet sizing die?

bzajdek
05-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Just wondering if i could use a small piece of clear tape to hold the sandpaper on a dowel when opening up a sizing die one or two thousands. Is the dowel more oval using this method rather than trying to split a 5/16 or 0.3125 dowel to open up a .358 sizing die. If i do need to split the dowel as I understand it would need to be about 5" of a split so the paper will be in contact at both ends of the die. Would a coping saw be the most efficient way to accomplish this or maybe using a knife blade a lightly tap until it is split down the middle?
Any help is appreciated.

country gent
05-16-2015, 05:54 PM
If you have room for the tape put one wrap around dowel leaving a tail about 1/2" long slide emery paper under this press down and wrap to needed dia. It works well this way and is easier than splitting with a saw.. Using a knife the dowel will split to far and become weak. I use a simple hacksaw blade to split dowels when needed.

GhostHawk
05-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Working on one right now, using a tapered steel punch and just wrapping the sandpaper tight. As long as you turn the right way it stay's tight.

bzajdek
05-17-2015, 12:04 PM
i will try cutting one dowel and taping another and see how it goes. In my thinking both would have one part that is slightly oval because the paper will not exatcly end at the end point of the other, sounds confusing but I can picture it in my head.

MBTcustom
05-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Use a hack saw to split it about 1/2" on one end. As you hold the dowel pointing away from you, insert the sandpaper edge up, from the left side. Twist the dowel in a clockwise fashion to wrap up the sand paper.
It does not matter if it's oval shaped. Since it's spinning, it will follow the roundness of the original hole for a good while as long as the surface inside the die is of even temper. It is possible to lap out several thousandths of an inch using a wood dowel, and maintain roundness within a few microns of an inch if the dowel is inserted fairly straight.

Remember that sand paper wears out much faster than most people give it credit for. Take a few strokes in and out, then change your paper. Remember to reverse your direction vigorously so as to cross your pattern inside the hole.
If you have more than .001 to remove, start with 220 grit and stick with it till you get within .001, then work through 320 and finish with 400.
The final finish is accomplished by wrapping 0000 steel wool up on the end of the dowel and vigorously scrubbing it in and out at high RPM. This will make it so that your bullets come out with a mirror like finish on the driving bands.