PDA

View Full Version : Bayou bullet Dip / Lube coating

milprileb
05-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Before I go on....years of shooting cast bullets and White Label Carnuba Red lube. My world is just fine
with accuracy and great lube. No accuracy issues and no leading.

THen I am at a Steel Challenge Pistol match and many had cast bullets coated with a lube / coloring stuff
from Bayou Bullets. No leading and they swear by this stuff.

So here is my question: Is this colorized coating another rainbow to chase or is there something really worth
considering with this product ?

I really don't have a problem so my instincts tell me to hang with what works . However...am I missing out on
something here ??

Thank you

farmerjim
05-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Go to the Simple Hi-Tek thread in the Coatings and Alternatives forum. I have been using it for 2 years with great results. Many here have switched over to it.

Tatume
05-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Coated bullets are all the rage now. I've been shooting them in the 44 Rem Mag this year with good results. They run cleaner, shoot accurately, and are generally pleasant to work with. I haven't tried coating my own yet, but buy them already coated. The reason I'm buying bullets in the first place is I don't have time to cast during some parts of the year, so I certainly don't have time to coat bullets and cure them in the oven. But if you have the time and the inclination, they certainly do work well.

popper
05-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Works fine. This is from a XD compact, wipe down when done. Oh, I can't see front & rear sights at the same time.

scottfire1957
05-16-2015, 05:50 PM
All you need do is read. It has all been covered. Powder coating, Hi-Tec, polymer. There are years of coverage in one link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

YEARS of knowledge.

milprileb
05-16-2015, 06:27 PM
All you need do is read. It has all been covered. Powder coating, Hi-Tec, polymer. There are years of coverage in one link. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives YEARS of knowledge.

Thank you for the link and I am delighted to read and get insights.

bstone5
05-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Just Google Bayou Bullets, the Hi -Tech coating works good. You will need a small convection oven to cure cook the bullets. There are few You Tube movies on the process.

MtGun44
05-17-2015, 12:21 PM
LOL! Nobody can see the front and rear sight clearly at the same time!

popper
05-17-2015, 05:17 PM
It's a sub compact but I can see both with my glasses on. I don't practice that way cause I don't wear my glasses all the time.

willie_pete
05-18-2015, 10:38 AM
You might be able to see them both, but you can only focus sharply on one at a time.

wp

twc1964
05-18-2015, 10:56 AM
When i started casting a few years ago, i was trying to save up for a lam2 to do my lube and sizing. A kindly fellow on this site asked me if id like to learn about powdercoating and i took him up on his offer as he lived within a half hour from me. Long story short, other than a few lubed with 45-45-10, i havent made and fired a lubed boolit. This stuff just plain works. It takes a little time but i enjoy it as i do smelting and casting. Youv got to give it a try. For spraying or tumble coating you should give smokes powders a try. His wares can be found on the s&s section. Good stuff.

Walter Laich
05-18-2015, 11:49 AM
PC is one of those rare 'finds' that come along now and then. I still use a luber now and then but most of mine are PC.

Wife is just happy I'm off the streets and not hurting myself.

Toymaker
05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
You might be able to see them both, but you can only focus sharply on one at a time.

wp The eye can focus on only one at a time. It appears that you can focus on all three because the brain overlays the three images and presents you with one. However, with age we loose the ability of the eye to quickly change the focus between the three objects and you get the fuzz. Reducing the field of view improves the depth of view so the focus appears to improve.

popper
05-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Ok, uncorrected DOF is nill.