PDA

View Full Version : lead bullets

zippom2
05-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Hello,[smilie=b: when you reload is there something that you place behind the lead projectile before putting it into the casing, that will help lead from accumulating in your barrel? What is it called if there is such a thing..............Thanks

slim1836
05-16-2015, 07:53 AM
Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=gas+checks

Slim

SteveS
05-16-2015, 07:53 AM
You might be thinking of gas checks.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_10_GCkorPB.htm

44man
05-16-2015, 07:54 AM
No need if you have good fit.
I use Dacron on some loads but only to keep powder in the bottom. Any other kind of wad can wreck a gun if it drops below a boolit.

Lead Fred
05-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Gas checks are a copper cup you squish onto the back end of a cast boolit.

Be advised, you have to have a gas check mould.

Plain base checks are more hassle than a new reloader whats to endure. (Me too)

Our plain base boolits use a veggie wad against the powder, then some pillow stuffing (dacron) to fill the gap between the wad and the boolit. Silly thing is I put gas checks on some boolits, and the powder burns the wad, and never sees the dacron or gas check.

Dusty Bannister
05-16-2015, 08:55 AM
A little bit more specific about the thing you are trying to find would be helpful. In addition to the copper and aluminum gas checks, there are these.

http://www.caversham16.freeserve.co.uk/

mdi
05-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Yep, there are things to put under the bullet to prevent leading. I once tried some wax like material (harder than lube and about 3/16" thick, can't remember the name). When a case was charged, the sheet was place over the case mouth and pressed in to cut a perfect "wax wad" then the bullet was seated. It worked quite well. Another "remedy" is Cream of Wheat. Charge the case and put a bit of COW over the powder and seat the bullet. The COW "scrubs" the barrel clean. All these things are just band-aids for problems that can be easily fixed. The best and easiest way to stop leading is a properly fitting bullet...

bangerjim
05-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Biggest thing I have found to prevent leading is powder coating all my boolits! No leading for over 2 years now. Clean-up after range visit is 1 or 2 patches.

For sonic loads I use Cu GC's with the PC.

And..........."FIT IS KING".

Please provide more information on what your shooting, caliber, weight..................you know..........all the details we really need to help you.

Where have you been since Aug 2010???????????????????

white eagle
05-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Zip
alot of steps that go into making a boolit a nonleading
projectile
like badgerjim says fit is key
you can't just drop lead in a mold and drop boolits out and
expect to have a good boolit
check out some of the stickies here

45-70 Chevroner
05-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Zippom2: I really think you need to do some in depth reading before you get started. The Lyman 48th or 49th reloading manual is a good place to start There are a lot of solutions to preventing leading, a lot of them are self learned. Your asking questions that's a good start but as one of the other members said read the stickies.

mongoose33
05-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Zippom2: I really think you need to do some in depth reading before you get started. The Lyman 48th or 49th reloading manual is a good place to start There are a lot of solutions to preventing leading, a lot of them are self learned. Your asking questions that's a good start but as one of the other members said read the stickies.

Good idea. I'd also suggest the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

quilbilly
05-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Welcome to this site Zip. The answer to your question all depends on the type of powder, the sizing of the projectile to the barrel size, the velocity you desire, the lube you use, lead alloy type, and a few other variables. That is what makes shooting cast boolits so interesting and challenging plus such an intellectually consuming sport. This sport is pure scientific method - 1. Form a hypothesis, 2. assemble materials, 3. build the ammunition, 4. Go to range and test hypothesis. You are never done learning so it is never boring. In your next post give us a hint what you are shooting and what your goals are.

scottfire1957
05-16-2015, 07:18 PM
I think ya'll are being trolled.

mdi
05-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Wow, some (over) in depth answers to a simple question.