PDA

View Full Version : Loose bullet when seating Hornady XTP 125 grn.in brass?

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Don't know if I am in the right forum, But here goes,
So, am loading 38 special in mixed brass cases (all brass is sorted in length within 3 thousands) , Oregon trail LSWC (358) work fine, BUT,
Some Hornady XTP (357) bullets are so loose that when I mic. the OAL with calipers, It pushes the bullet deeper,
I also applied the heaviest crimp within reason I could, And it still wouldn't give the proper grip on the XTP'S
When I load lead I flare the brass, Jacketed I do not flare,

I tested a couple Nickel cases with the XTP's, and all seems well, Anyone had this problem? The only thing I can think of is over worked brass.
Am using Rock Chucker single stage press with RCBS 3 die carbide die set.
Thanks, Paul

country gent
05-15-2015, 07:57 PM
May be old work hardened brass, Have you used this die set before with jacketed bullets? Measure some bullets and the expander stem with a good accurate set of michrometers. You also may have gotten some undersized bullets or a slightly large size expander for them. You might also measure some cases after sizing as to inside dia.

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 08:21 PM
May be old work hardened brass, Have you used this die set before with jacketed bullets? Measure some bullets and the expander stem with a good accurate set of michrometers. You also may have gotten some undersized bullets or a slightly large size expander for them. You might also measure some cases after sizing as to inside dia.

Just now mic'd inside diameters, Both brass and nickel are .354 thousands, XTP Bullets are .357, and the cannelure is .340. 357 Magnum rounds worked fine.

country gent
05-15-2015, 08:32 PM
That sounds about right sizing die is duing its job and brass dosnt seem to be springing back alot. What about the stem on the expander below the belling angle? This may open brass up larger. Did you use michrometers or calipers? Try a heavy chamfer no bell expander die and seat a bullet into a sized case you have .003 interference this should be more than enough to hold bullet tight.

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 08:47 PM
That sounds about right sizing die is duing its job and brass dosnt seem to be springing back alot. What about the stem on the expander below the belling angle? This may open brass up larger. Did you use michrometers or calipers? Try a heavy chamfer no bell expander die and seat a bullet into a sized case you have .003 interference this should be more than enough to hold bullet tight.
Have both calipers and mic's, my dial calipers are very accurate, which I used, I only used 2 dies, (sizer and bullet seater) did not use the belling die,
Your knowledge is much appreciated,
Paul

country gent
05-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Okay are you using a powder thru die to drop powder charges. They can have a expander on them also

jcren
05-15-2015, 09:46 PM
What kind of crimping die, brand and style of crimp?

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Okay are you using a powder thru die to drop powder charges. They can have a expander on them also

using single state everything, RCBS Rock chucker press, RCBS powder drop, I Seat bullet, then back off on seater and apply crimp separately as last step,

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
What kind of crimping die, brand and style of crimp?

using single state everything, RCBS Rock chucker press, RCBS powder drop, I Seat bullet, then back off on seater and apply crimp separately as last step, With RCBS 3 die carbide die set. Thanks. Paul

country gent
05-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Not sure where else the issue could be unless bullets arnt being seated straight and squarely

MT Chambers
05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
You're doing everything right, may have to anneal cases and/or get a smaller expander, crimping is one thing but you still need case neck tension to hold the bullet.

santacruzpaul
05-15-2015, 10:07 PM
You're doing everything right, may have to anneal cases and/or get a smaller expander, crimping is one thing but you still need case neck tension to hold the bullet.

Thanks for the input MT Chambers, I may lust get some new brass, I think this stuff was worked even before I got it,
Paul

country gent
05-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Not sure where else the issue could be unless bullets arnt being seated straight and squarely

santacruzpaul
05-16-2015, 10:06 AM

country gent, seating operation seems to be working as normal, with proper seating rod for the XTP's
Thanks, Paul

Horace
05-16-2015, 10:37 AM
"am loading 38 special in mixed brass cases "
Any one headstamp have this problem?

Horace

santacruzpaul
05-16-2015, 11:26 AM
"am loading 38 special in mixed brass cases "
Any one headstamp have this problem?

Horace

Yes, after doing a bit more research I was told R.P. brass has this problem, And all the R.P. brass seems to be the culprit, (I marked the primers on the loosest rounds when seating, and all were R.P.) I am currently trying Federal. nickle plated, it seems to be gripping the bullet firmly. Horace, have you had this problem?
Thanks, Paul
ps, I skip the expander die step when loading jacket bullets.

santacruzpaul
05-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Pulled all the XTP's, and saving the R.P. brass for LSWC bunny burp loads. This time I used FED. and WIN. Nickel cases, Gave all a hefty push test before crimping and they didn't budge from the 1.450 OAL, Heading to the range Monday to and see how they shoot through the 637 snubby. I loaded 4 grn. of bullseye, Am hoping for 800 fps. to get proper expansion with the Hornady 125 grn. XTP, And it should be a comfortable round to shoot through the snubby.
Guys, Thank you all so much for the advise,
Paul