PDA

View Full Version : Not here

dead dog
05-14-2015, 07:15 PM
The high school in York SC made a student remove an American flag from the back of his pickup. First they told him it offended someone later said it was a safety issue.

richhodg66
05-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Hard to believe it happened in S.C. That's a pretty patriotic state, at least it was when I grew up there.

Echo
05-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Pansy A&& school administrators - the way to get ahead in any public school system is to Not Make Waves - and that attitude leads to what is reported here. No gonads...

gray wolf
05-14-2015, 07:48 PM
The rest of the story:

MANY of his friends rallied up for him and they all came to school flying flags,
AND, vets showed up and saluted them as they came to school.

School Officials Tell Student to He Can’t Fly U.S. Flag on His Truck — See How Badly That
School Officials Tell Student to He Can’t Fly U.S. Flag on His Truck — See How Badly That Decision Backfired
From The Blaze. Go to the link for pics and video

May. 14, 2015 4:53pm Dave Urbanski

Peyton Robinson said he got the bad news from a school administrator Wednesday morning.

The 18-year-old senior at York Comprehensive High School was told he wasn’t allowed to fly his American flag and POW-MIA flag in the bed of his pickup truck.

“He said, ‘We’re having some issues. Some people were complaining about the flags in your truck,’” Robinson told WBTV-TV. He said the administrator said the flags could “possibly” be offensive, and told Robinson to take them down before coming back to the South Carolina school Thursday.

But apparently, Robinson didn’t have to lift a finger.

He told WBTV that at some point Wednesday, a school official unscrewed the bolts securing the flags to his truck and laid them in the bed “when I wasn’t even there.”

By the end of the school day, officials announced that flags such as Robinson’s are safety concerns. Superintendent Vernon Prosser told WSOC-TV the fear is that they could block the view of other drivers and cause a wreck.

The senior — who has relatives who served in the military — was upset. ”I was pretty mad,” he told WBTV. “I don’t see how it’s a problem. Nobody has ever complained about it before.”

“I’d understand if it was the Confederate flag or something that might offend somebody,” he added. “I wouldn’t do that. But an American flag — that’s our country’s flag. I have every right to do it. I don’t see a safety issue. I mean, I understand it’s a big flag — it’s 4 by 6 — but nobody has ever complained about it being in their way or anything.”

So Robinson hit his Facebook page Wednesday and let everybody know what was happening — and fellow students quickly took up the cause, driving back to school that night with flags flying from their vehicles.

“I’ll keep fighting,” Robinson told WSOC Wednesday night. “I’m not letting it go; I won’t go down without a fight.”

Students also vowed to fly flags Thursday morning at school in solidarity with Robinson — and more than 70 vehicles equipped with waving flags pulled into the school parking lot.

A crowd stood on the roadside and cheered them on, and what appeared to be a group of veterans saluted at the school’s entrance as they rode in.

Principal Christopher Black told WSOC on Thursday he would be asking all of those students to remove their flags. But just a couple of hours after the demonstration, there was a big change of heart.

“Do [sic] to the outstanding display of patriotism through peaceful demonstration, it is apparent to us that many are not happy about this policy,” the school said in a statement. “School officials have reviewed the standing policy regarding flags and have decided that an exception will be made for the American flag, as long as the size of the flag(s) does not create a driving hazard.”

The state Highway Patrol told WSOC the York students’ flags are legal.

Robinson’s dad told WSOC he’s proud of his son and that he encouraged him to keep flying the flag whatever the rules might say, even if it meant leaving school.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ed-everything/ (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/05/14/high-school-tells-senior-he-cant-fly-american-flag-on-his-pickup-truck-the-next-day-classmates-barrel-into-parking-lot-in-a-patriotic-mood-and-that-changed-everything/)

jcwit
05-14-2015, 08:17 PM
God Bless that Boy!
God Bless those Students!
God bless that Father!
God Bless those Vets!

God Bless the U.S.A.

BenW
05-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Sounds just like what happened nearby at Prattville High School here in Alabama.

pworley1
05-14-2015, 08:37 PM
The way to change the route of least resistance, is to create some resistance. Way to go folks.

lightman
05-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Score on for the Good Guys!

dragon813gt
05-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Why did they have to make an "exception" for the American flag? I swear most people have no clue what it stands for.

country gent
05-14-2015, 08:57 PM
What would be interesting is to know who "complained: and created the issue to begin with. It may have been only one person in the school system who decided this was an issue and brought it up [possibly as a have you seen type thing and not an actual complaint even. Alot of administrators and or official want no attenntion brought to show what else might be going on.

s mac
05-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Not to mention the fact that they laid the flag down in the truck, not the way it's to be treated.

MaryB
05-14-2015, 11:46 PM
If you do not like the American Flag and are in the USA I have one suggestion... LEAVE

aspangler
05-14-2015, 11:54 PM
If you do not like the American Flag and are in the USA I have one suggestion... LEAVE
I TOTALLY agree. America. Love it or leave it.

Bzcraig
05-15-2015, 12:03 AM
I agree with the above sentiments but what really chaps my hide is where in the he!! does the school think they have the freaking authority to do the job of law enforcement and determine what constitutes a safety hazard? That just ticks me off! The dang gum schools are trying to usurp all sorts of power that these educated idiots think they should have. Now I'm really pi$$ed!

Lead Fred
05-15-2015, 01:29 AM
The fools dumb enough to try and take a flag off our rigs, wont be completing the school year

Bad Water Bill
05-15-2015, 03:09 AM
Who even touched that truck let alone tampered with it or our flag should face some sort of criminal charges.

Obviously they did NOT have the owners permission to disassemble any part of of the truck.

Now how secure will the school officials jobs be, facing criminal charges?

smokeywolf
05-15-2015, 04:20 AM
"Superintendent Vernon Prosser told WSOC-TV the fear is that they could block the view of other drivers and cause a wreck."

If a flag in the back of a pickup truck is a hazard because it impares the visibility of other drivers, then a camper on the back of a truck also impares the visibility of other drivers. This obviously brings into question the honesty of the superintendent.
The superintendent is trying to hide the identity of the person or people who complained about the display of the American flag.

Anyone who lacks respect for the flag has the right and should have the right to voice their negative feelings for our flag. And, folks like me, who look at the American flag and think of all those who died for us and for that symbol that represents us, we should be able to voice our contempt for those who disrespect and desecrate our flag.

Bad Water Bill
05-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Superintendent Vernon Prosser probably does not know one person that served or gave their lives for our country or he would have acted like a REAL teacher and explained just what OUR flag really stands for.

And why was it perfectly acceptable to drive down the streets hanging out of every window of their car beeping their horn and shouting "VIVA LA MEXICO"as they drove down the streets of MY country waving the Mexican flag.

Yes that was "CINCO DE MAYO" a Mexican holiday.

daniel lawecki
05-15-2015, 06:02 AM
they call that criminal damage

Grits
05-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Admin trying to keep fresh minds in lockstep. I applaud this young man.

More young Americans need to step up to help turn the tide back from those who wish to control every aspect of our lives.

starnbar
05-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Using the webs social media is what makes school and other officials change their tune very quickly and it works I bet it will be weeks before the e-mails die down at that school.

captaint
05-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Where do they find people like these (the principal) ?? THEY, HE should be fired. Period. Glad the kid and others stood up and called BS.

montana_charlie
05-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Another un-American school administrator shows his true colors.
These need to be weeded out of our society ... and (especially) kept away from the kids.

dtknowles
05-15-2015, 01:14 PM
"Superintendent Vernon Prosser told WSOC-TV the fear is that they could block the view of other drivers and cause a wreck."

If a flag in the back of a pickup truck is a hazard because it impares the visibility of other drivers, then a camper on the back of a truck also impares the visibility of other drivers. This obviously brings into question the honesty of the superintendent.
The superintendent is trying to hide the identity of the person or people who complained about the display of the American flag.

Anyone who lacks respect for the flag has the right and should have the right to voice their negative feelings for our flag. And, folks like me, who look at the American flag and think of all those who died for us and for that symbol that represents us, we should be able to voice our contempt for those who disrespect and desecrate our flag.

Because I can tell that you put a different value on our flag than I do and Bad Water Bill said "explained just what OUR flag really stands for." Please (or maybe Bill can) explain what you believe our flag stands for. I have never desecrated an American flag and I fly it on the patriotic holidays and keep one displayed in my office but my beliefs on what the flag stands for are limited to what is stated in the Pledge of Allegiance. These day it is a little hard to swallow the "....one nation under God....with liberty and justice for all......" but I can always hope we will get there.

Tim

country gent
05-15-2015, 01:49 PM
In mid 70s when I started driving the school instituted parking passes to park in the shool parking lots on the school grounds. Permits were to be issued on a needed bassis, if you had a job after school or activities then you were supposedly to be issued one of the permits. I started working just after I turned 15 at a local job shop (the owner was on the school board). I questioned it when I was denied the permit and was told others had more valid reasons to get the permit. The owner questioned them and was told the same except by one who stated they didnt like my car. And other stundents parents were more important to the school. I parked at the shop and walked to school that year and went to the local trade school. School administrators think they can determine and decide what is and isnt as they please. Its a uniuque mentality, I broke a leg in the summer before school started and first gym class was told I had to dress and take gym since I didnt have a doctors note Just a cast on my leg. I walked out and up to local bar diner used the phone to call Dad and he got it straightened out really quick with the superintandt. I believe when He saw Dad walk in his office with me in tow the matter was settled. LOL. These officials think they are all powerfull and untouchable for thier actions. Until that changes there will be these issues as above mentioned in OP.

smokeywolf
05-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Because I can tell that you put a different value on our flag than I do and Bad Water Bill said "explained just what OUR flag really stands for." Please (or maybe Bill can) explain what you believe our flag stands for. I have never desecrated an American flag and I fly it on the patriotic holidays and keep one displayed in my office but my beliefs on what the flag stands for are limited to what is stated in the Pledge of Allegiance. These day it is a little hard to swallow the "....one nation under God....with liberty and justice for all......" but I can always hope we will get there.

Tim

Tim, if you've had someone whom you were close to, killed in action, then you should already know why I feel as I do about our flag.

montana_charlie
05-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Please (or maybe Bill can) explain what you believe our flag stands for.
If I may ...

First, a little background:

"On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress passed a resolution authorizing a committee to devise a seal for the United States of America. This mission, designed to reflect the Founding Fathers' beliefs, values, and sovereignty of the new Nation, did not become a reality until June 20, 1782. In heraldic devices, such as seals, each element has a specific meaning. Even colors have specific meanings. The colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for The Stars and Stripes when it was adopted in 1777. However, the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:

"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

Since the colors and basic design come from the Great Seal, I see the flag as a symbol of purity (of purpose), valor(ious action), and vigilance to preserve and protect the nation.

Beyond what the flag symbolizes to me is the scope of the alegiance I regularly pledge to her.
That alegiance is to not just to the flag, but to all of those who have 'given' in service to the flag while taking action to build and defend the nation. That pledge is to honor what they did and a promise to preserve what they accomplished.

Because I have served, I feel a kinship with all of them. So, when someone desecrates 'the flag', he dishonors us all.

CM

Love Life
05-15-2015, 07:47 PM
This is what happens when the losers who got stuffed in lockers back in the day, now have positions of authority. They (Superintendent and the loser who complained) probably got swirlies too.

Not enough fist fights in society anymore. That's the problem.

dtknowles
05-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Tim, if you've had someone whom you were close to, killed in action, then you should already know why I feel as I do about our flag.

I know nobody killed in action and I don't understand the connection to the flag, unless you mean the image of the flag draped coffin? That is why I gave you the chance to explain. My Dad was wounded in WWII but recovered and he never expressed any special affection for the flag, he would fly it on holidays like I do.

Tim

dragon813gt
05-15-2015, 08:07 PM
You don't necessarily need to physically fight. But you do need to let situations play out. They need to prepare kids for the real world where there most definitely are winners and losers. Holding back the winners while propping up the losers up leads to everyone being weak.

smokeywolf
05-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Tim, although no disrespect meant, I don't think I could form an explanation that would enable you to see from my perspective, what the American flag means to me and to my memory of friends and acquaintances who died for what that flag represents.

smokeywolf

dtknowles
05-15-2015, 08:14 PM
If I may ...

First, a little background:

"On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress passed a resolution authorizing a committee to devise a seal for the United States of America. This mission, designed to reflect the Founding Fathers' beliefs, values, and sovereignty of the new Nation, did not become a reality until June 20, 1782. In heraldic devices, such as seals, each element has a specific meaning. Even colors have specific meanings. The colors red, white, and blue did not have meanings for The Stars and Stripes when it was adopted in 1777. However, the colors in the Great Seal did have specific meanings. Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, reporting to Congress on the Seal, stated:

"The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice."

Since the colors and basic design come from the Great Seal, I see the flag as a symbol of purity (of purpose), valor(ious action), and vigilance to preserve and protect the nation.

Beyond what the flag symbolizes to me is the scope of the alegiance I regularly pledge to her.
That alegiance is to not just to the flag, but to all of those who have 'given' in service to the flag while taking action to build and defend the nation. That pledge is to honor what they did and a promise to preserve what they accomplished.

Because I have served, I feel a kinship with all of them. So, when someone desecrates 'the flag', he dishonors us all.

CM

Thanks. It is helpful. Maybe someone should write a new pledge to those who sacrificed and or died. I am not moved by the current pledge. The next time I say the Pledge I will try to remember what you said here.

Tim

Bad Water Bill
05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
"Because I have served, I feel a kinship with all of them. So, when someone desecrate 'the flag', he desecrates us all."

Well said sir.

While I served in what was called "PEACE TIME" i definitely will always remember those who lost their lives while serving and protecting our freedom.

Several stories I can still remember clearly would give "CIVILIANS" nightmares for the rest of their lives.

One of our Chiefs was nicknamed "Mint Julip" because he needed many of them before he could sleep.

He was awarded "THE BIG BLUE ONE" for his actions but that did not remove the memories of what he endured to earn it.

Yes it IS OUR flag and definitely deserves the proper respect of each and EVERY citizen of our great country.

No I definitely am not trying to paint myself any sort of hero as I do not hold a candle to the many I have known,served with and in many cases are members of this site.

obssd1958
05-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Tim,
For the next time that you recite the pledge, I submit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

dtknowles
05-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Tim,
For the next time that you recite the pledge, I submit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM

While that is a wonderful idea, it not at all resembles the country we live in. If that is what those that sacrificed, fought and died for then they failed because the real battle was not in some foreign land but here at home. They would have better spent their time in public schools teaching those values and morals to the children than in the military.

I don't demean their sacrifice they are hero's but ........... look where we are.

Tim

I too have failed, I did not teach anyone but my own children and was not completely successful at that. The enemy has out smarted us and worked harder to achieve their goals than we did thus wasting the sacrifice of those that served. The blame is ours not those that served.

MaryB
05-15-2015, 11:44 PM
I had an uncle killed in Korea before I was born. My grandparents flew the flag every day of the year after because it meant the spirit of this country to them, the willingness to fight to help others, to fight for freedom.

I know nobody killed in action and I don't understand the connection to the flag, unless you mean the image of the flag draped coffin? That is why I gave you the chance to explain. My Dad was wounded in WWII but recovered and he never expressed any special affection for the flag, he would fly it on holidays like I do.

Tim

Bad Water Bill
05-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Evert one that took the oath and dedicated their life to protect this country succeeded.

You did not have to learn German and their customs,or Japanese or Russian.

They THOUGHT they left the country in good hands of those left behind to serve and protect on the home front.

leeggen
05-16-2015, 01:46 AM
I am begining to think someone needs to go live with Jane Fonda!!!! If that statement needs explained to them, then they are just not ever going to understand why we stand by our Flag.
JMO!
CD