PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July- Smell the black powder smoke...

Bert2368
05-14-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi all-

This is a shameless solicitation for people who enjoy the smell of black powder!

In the "real world", I am co-owner of a display fireworks and movie/video/etc. special effects business. We don't sell consumer fireworks (1.4), we import and USE 1.3 display fireworks, also various stage & theatrical effects.

And business is picking up. We need people who are interested in crewing on outdoor fireworks displays, truck drivers who have or are willing to get a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement, and if at all possible, experienced pyrotechnic lead operators. Lots of weekends and part time, possibility of full time.

Work is available this summer in the Poconos region of PA and the upper Midwest, particularly: MN, IA, WI, ND, SD

We will train.

All you need is to be at least 18 years old, have no felony convictions and the desire to learn the craft. Picking up objects that weigh 40lb. or so is part of the job, lots of lighter objects as well. Minor hand tool skills. We shoot all electrically, no running around with a road flare on a stick these days. We cover food & hotel rooms on the road in addition to your pay.

If you're interested, send an email to:

information@hollywoodpyrotechnics.com

http://www.hollywoodpyrotechnics.com

PbHurler
05-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Wow, where were you when I was 18, single & looking for work. This would've been a dream job for me.

Best of luck on getting takers to your offer.

bedbugbilly
05-15-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm way too old to even think about it but it sounds like a fun job opportunity for someone who likes to travel.

When I read your post heading . . . I thought you were going to make a post on "cracking the anvils" with BP on the 4th of July. We had a couple of fellows who would go around town on the 4th and do that very, VERY early in the morning in the street outside of houses where they knew the folks and wanted to wake them up. I helped one year - an old tradition that seems to be fading away. You had to be careful though and not "over do" the charge . . . too much powder and there was knowing just how high the top anvil would fly . . . nor where it would land!

Hannibal
05-16-2015, 03:01 AM
I love the smell of Unique in the morning. It smells like . . . . . . . . victory!

Sorry for the drift. Couldn't resist.

Bert2368
05-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Come on in, the smoke is fine...

Bert2368
05-21-2015, 10:53 AM
To clarify, in response to PM's:

--------------------

What we mainly seek are entry level people to do outdoor fireworks shows, also looking for people to do the preparation at our warehouse and storage facility near Pine City, MN. They can be the same person- Work during the week on prep, then load trucks and go setup/fire shows.

I need 30 more people to do outdoor shows who can work the weekend of July 4th. They can know nothing but be willing to learn and have fun. I think it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but you'll have to try it to find out. If you want to come to a show and see what it entails, send me your email. We will be doing shows practically every weekend all summer long and into September/October .

I would like at least 6 more people who can do preparation work during the week, starting in first week of June and running through the end of July. This can be full time + work, in addition to the weekends shooting fireworks. After that, there will be at least part time prep work through the end of October.

PEOPLE WHO WORK JULY 4th HAVE FIRST CHOICE OF WORK ON ALL OTHER DATES.

I'd like to find some experienced people who can run a crew independently, but I'd also like to win the lottery. I have trained most of our pyro crew leaders up from entry level, it takes a few years.

We only need a few more people with the commercial drivers license and HazMat endorsement, we do try to get all crew leaders licensed so they can drive the truck for their shows themselves.

2wheelDuke
05-23-2015, 01:29 PM
I agree, this would've been my dream job once upon a time. My brother just got a full time gig, or I'd refer him. Then again, he wouldn't want to travel now that he's got a kid.

Bert2368
05-27-2015, 10:57 PM
You folks do realize that I control several TONS of the sacred black powder? And am not stingy???

GoodOlBoy
05-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Move the whole operation to East Texas and we can talk :p

GoodOlBoy

Bert2368
03-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Hey, it's almost Spring... Time for you to learn how to set up and fire a professional fireworks display!

And get paid.

Did I mention there will be cake?