PDA

View Full Version : .44 Mag Cowboy Rifle

sundog
03-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Prefer an octagon rifle length barrel, color case hardened receiver, and decent quality. Any suggestions? Already reviewed the Hartford. sundog

DOUBLEJK
03-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Sundog
With yer criteria ya bout done seen em all.... :)
Navy Arms has the same guns with better wood....
higher priced tho....

Pb head
03-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Sundog, try this. E mail for catalog they have others in it.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/results.tpl?category=Cartridge%20Firearms&subcateg ory=1892%20Takedown

Pb head

beagle
03-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Sundog. You looking for a lookin' rifle or a shootin' rifle?

If you're wanting a shootin' rifle, grab a Winchester Legacy./beagle

Rrusse11
03-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Sundog,
Being afflicted with "Marlinitis", I don't see how you can get better than this. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=30118266
Send ur receiver off to Turnbull for case hardening. www.turnbullrestoration.com
Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11
03-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Dang!
You guys are dangerous,,,,,,,, start a topic, get a boolit mould order together,
and then I have to walk into one of my 'locals'.
I was half an hour too late, there on the counter, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy, 24" octagon in 45LC.

Wellllllllllll, where there's a willllllllllll, :roll: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am now the proud possesor of yet another lever action. 8)

The crazy thing is, after a good hour of dickering, hemming & hawing, I ended up giving him less cash than he paid for the gun,,,,,,,,,, go figger! In the heat of hoss tradin' he forgot to account for sales tax and NIC check in his initial cost.

:lol:

R*2

shooter2
04-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Prefer an octagon rifle length barrel, color case hardened receiver, and decent quality. Any suggestions? Already reviewed the Hartford. sundog

Like Beagle I have a Winchester 94 Legacy. I shot it again this morning with more unsatisfactory results. Beagle says it should do an inch a fifty yards. My best seems to be 3" to 4" at 65. I chose that yardage as a B16 black is just the right size for my old eyes at that range. I have a Weaver Classic 2.5X10 set at 10X. I was also shooting my Marlin 1895, 45-70, and with open sights the best group was 1.5" with four of the five in less than an inch. Jumptrap suggested replacing the front on the Marlin with a fire-sight and I did. I like it!

Some caveats about the Legacy. It comes with terrible sights. You will at least want to replace the front sight. It has a terrible trigger. Ernie, my favorite gunsmith, was able to get it to let off at 3.5# consistently, but there is a still lot of slack. The lever saftey disconnect holds the lever off the stock just under an 1/8". Just enough so that when it goes off you can pinch the skin of your finger between the lever and the stock. Not fun! Last, it will not eject the empties reliably with a scope mounted. Had I to do it over again, I would not.

Of all Lever actions my favorite at the moment is the Earlier Savage 99's. The one that has the cartridge counter. Real quality and mine shoots like the dickens. FWIW

Bullshead
04-15-2005, 06:59 PM
My family shoots 7 Marlins.......and we shoot ALOT!!!
Get a Marlin Cowboy in .44Mag and just live happy!
http://www.hunt101.com/img/130385.jpg

Buckshot
04-16-2005, 08:46 AM
..............Bullshead, nice photo! A friend who is a SASS member bought one of the first Marlin Cowboys made in 45 Colt. Uncanny accurate at 50 yards with each shot cutting the previous. This was with ammo loaded for his Colts.

...............Buckshot

KCSO
04-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Cost of NIC check????

These are a TOLL FREE CALL, no fee no charge.

Rrusse11
04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Cost of NIC check????

These are a TOLL FREE CALL, no fee no charge.

KC,
Yah, I know! Coupla' the local shops have started to charge $5,,, with the claim that it's the gubmint,,,,,,,,. Just a backhanded BS charge for makin' a phone call. Republican owners no doubt.
Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11
04-23-2005, 02:04 PM
..............Bullshead, nice photo! A friend who is a SASS member bought one of the first Marlin Cowboys made in 45 Colt. Uncanny accurate at 50 yards with each shot cutting the previous. This was with ammo loaded for his Colts.

...............Buckshot
Buck,
I gotta' say I'm gettin' similar kind of accuracy with mine. I had to do quite a bit of work on the magazine tube, & forearm, freeing it all up a bit to 'float' the barrel as much as possible. And it is very velocity sensitive. There are clear 'zones' of accuracy, I suspect the long barrel and its harmonics are in play here, but when it's on,,,,, WOW!
Been shootin' a bit of jacketed to polish out the barrel, and getting some very heady ballistics with Lil Gun. 2000fps with a Hornady 250XTP getting ragged holes at 50yds off my plastic front rest. 2250fps with the 200gr Hdy ACP bullet.
Who needs a bottleneck cartridge? It's puttin' out more ME than a 30-30, and I'm sure at the woods ranges here in the NE,,,,,, would knock any whitetail or black bear flat. I've just got the Lee C300 mould,,,,, but no real data yet on it. Tried some over 21.5gr of the Lil Gun for 1660fps, and good accuracy.
I suspect what I'm after is a checked RF mould in the 260gr range, the Lee 250-452-RF plain base is shooting well for me,,,,,, but I ez get over leading velocity limits with it. Dunno if there'd be enuff interest for a group buy on a Lee 6-banger checked version of same. Most seem to think of the 45 Colt as a low velocity peeestol cartridge....
Thinking of reaming her out to Cassull dimensions.....get a tad more case capacity. I've got the action at the moment feeding a COAL of 1.725, but the thruat's too short to take that. And a # of AA 1680 on the shelf, try something a lil slower than the Lil Gun.
Cheers,
R*2

Rrusse11
04-23-2005, 04:49 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=31069133

Here ya go sundog,,,,, fancy enuff for ya?
{:o)
R*2

sundog
04-23-2005, 08:10 PM
R2, yea, boy! sundog

StarMetal
04-23-2005, 10:06 PM
I have one of the earlier Marlin 45LC Cowboys and it a darn accurate rifle. I also have one of the earlier Win Mod 94 Trappers in 45LC and it's a darn accurate rifle too. I have no problem with the lever/trigger disconnect and my rifle has to kick more then the Legacy because it's lighter and I've shot magnum loads out of it and never got pinched. My trigger is just fine too. I don' t have a scope on it, just receiver sights, so don't know about it's ejection with a scope. I like them both equally.

Joe

leverfan
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM

Sundog, I just ordered an EMF/Rossi model '92 through Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones, aka EMF's warranty work guy. He does fantastic work, and he's very good to deal with. I ordered a Hartford '92 with case colored receiver, 24" octagon barrel, a full action job, and a couple of other touches that I wanted. Total cost, with shipping, is well under $600. It'll be good for hunting, cowboy action, and anything else I decide to do with it. This is his busy time of the year, so it might take a little over 8 weeks if you order one now. That's still pretty quick for custom rifle work. He offers some package deals that are cheaper than what I got.

As an added bonus, there are no ugly, unneeded lawyer safeties added on top of the original safety features. You can still put a tang sight on it, for instance, unlike some other lever guns coming out these days.

stevesgunz.com