PDA

View Full Version : Moving

bbs70
05-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Swmbo & I are buying a house in the country south of Steelville, MO.
We are suppose to be doing the closing on the 22nd of this month.

At present we live 50 miles NE of St. Louis on the IL side.
We are going to put our present home up for sale, but we'll be living here until it is sold because of our jobs.
Then we'll be retiring & moving to MO. and cutting up our FOID card:drinks:
With all the stuff we can do down there I doubt we'll be getting bored.
I haven't hunted or fished for many a year, but am looking forward to some pig hunting.

Any of you MO people have any input ( Good or Bad ) on living down there.
A cop did tell me they had a meth problem , but hell that's about anywhere these days.

dilly
05-13-2015, 12:06 PM
You'll be within day trip distance of quite a few very beautiful rivers. I highly recommend buying a couple kayaks.

I live in Springfield so you'll be a good ways off from me. Oh, I suppose you might be able to make trips to Graf's or Midway rather than pay Hazmat, if business brought you in either direction. You'll get the blessed privilege of paying state sales tax to Graf's, Midway, and Starline. Of course gun laws will be quite a bit better. Can't say for sure but I get the idea cost of living will be cheaper and your retirement money will go a bit further.

Good luck selling the house so you can start retirement!

jmort
05-13-2015, 12:14 PM
That seems like a great place to retire. Good for you. I will soon be joining the ranks, south of you and about a hour south-east of Springfield. There is a meth problem. Drives property crimes. You are going from the # 5 meth lab state to the #3 meth lab state, so not a big difference. I am happy to be moving into the Show-Me State. Where my Dad's family is from and have relatives there.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/lists/meth_states/south_carolina.html

pworley1
05-13-2015, 06:38 PM
I have been retired for 12 years in June. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

smokeywolf
05-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Good for you. We were looking hard at the West Plains, MO area, but because school curriculum appears more beneficial to our teenage boys, we are now actively searching the North Central AR area. Also, AR has a political structure which is more solidly conservative controlled.

lakeparkv8
05-13-2015, 07:16 PM
I don't live there and never have. That being said I have been there fishing and hunting. You must go to Lake of the Ozarks and go snagging for spoonbills. Very fun and exciting to do. You hang into a 35 or 50 pounder and the fight is on. The deer hunting is great too. We go to the Sedalia area during gun season. Big deer. Can't wait to go again!

s mac
05-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Don't know the Steelville area but I would say welcome to MO. Good hunting and fishing too.

Bzcraig
05-13-2015, 11:20 PM
That seems like a great place to retire. Good for you. I will soon be joining the ranks, south of you and about a hour south-east of Springfield. There is a meth problem. Drives property crimes. You are going from the # 5 meth lab state to the #3 meth lab state, so not a big difference. I am happy to be moving into the Show-Me State. Where my Dad's family is from and have relatives there.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/lists/meth_states/south_carolina.html

What happened to Northern Nevada?

jmort
05-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Wife likes trees and green. If I were single ...

Lead Fred
05-13-2015, 11:58 PM
meth problem means home invasions, and firearm theft.

Lock your ship up

Bzcraig
05-14-2015, 01:15 AM

I hate it when that happens! Hehehe

jmort
05-14-2015, 01:32 AM
Could be far worse. When you can get a 2400' house plus a full basement on a double corner lot for less than the price of a 3/4 diesel pick-up truck it could be worse. Gun laws are sane. Near the Arkansas boarder. Plan to run around the Ozarks and buy some undeveloped land for a dedicated firing range. Get a pontoon boat. Plant a garden. Slow down. I'll survive.

Love Life
05-14-2015, 08:45 AM

My wife was firmly against living in the desert until she moved back to the east coast and realized how much it sucks. Gnomesayin'?

TCFAN
05-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Could be far worse. When you can get a 2400' house plus a full basement on a double corner lot for less than the price of a 3/4 diesel pick-up truck it could be worse. Gun laws are sane. Near the Arkansas boarder. Plan to run around the Ozarks and buy some undeveloped land for a dedicated firing range. Get a pontoon boat. Plant a garden. Slow down. I'll survive.

jmort
what county are you moving too? I live close to the Arkansas line and about 1 1/2 hours south east of Springfield in Ozark county. You never know we might be neighbors...............Terry

jmort
05-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Howell which is right next to Ozark county as you know. If you don't mind I am going to PM for some info.
John

jmort
05-14-2015, 11:26 AM
"My wife was firmly against living in the desert..."

​My wife remains firmly against the living in the desert. Mrs. Mort is not as accommodating as Mrs. Love Life. I can adapt.

doc1876
05-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Welcome to Missouri. I am at Festus and in Alton.

Love Life
05-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Real men live in Ferguson.

dragon813gt
05-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Real men live in Ferguson.

So that explains why the family structure is so strong there ;)

TCFAN
05-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Howell which is right next to Ozark county as you know. If you don't mind I am going to PM for some info.
John
No problem with PM's.We are in West Plains quite a bit............Terry

bbs70
05-15-2015, 11:14 AM
I thank you all for the response.
At 67 I'm just looking for a place where we can relax & enjoy our lives.
The home down there is on 4 acres, enough for some privacy & maybe a small pistol range.:D
Seems peaceful & quiet with enough things around the area to do to keep us happy.
And with all the beautiful trees & hills it is a departure from scenery here in IL.
Just got to slow down & enjoy & get use to a different way of living.

dh2
05-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Mo. is home to me Uncle Sam has sent me around the world a few times but Central Mo. is where I want to be for deer season every year, to me it is deer hunting at it's best, and love to go after cat fish on many of southern MO. and northern Ark. lakes

MtGun44
05-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Moving out of Illinois is never a mistake. I have relatives in southern
Ill and every time I visit, nice to see them, but nice to get back to
a more normal place. Southern Ill is not a problem day to day, but all
their government stuff is entirely messed up.

tigweldit
05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Congratulations on getting out of Illinois. I can't wait until my turn comes to get out of this state. I'll be going to northern Wisconsin. I'm sure you'll love Mo. Good fishing and hunting. The people I met there were very friendly.

bbs70
12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Well, it finally happened, we're in Steelville.
Wanted to move here last year, but wanted to remodel before moving in.
Between work, mama breaking her hip and working on house allowed little time.

Pulled the retirement plug Nov 30 at 5 o'clock finally.
Now a full time resident of Mo.8-)
A lot to get use to now, all the time I want to do the things I want.
Getting use to the people.
And having to be around wifey all day :roll:.

After 50+ years of working it might be difficult getting use to not having to go to work.maybe a week or two:mrgreen:
But, I'll do my best,

xs11jack
12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Congratulations, good to have you here. We quite successfully beat off the liberals this last election and a couple of more votes are appreciated. God's blessings on you and your family.
Ole Jack

Ural Driver
12-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Well, it finally happened, we're in Steelville.
Wanted to move here last year, but wanted to remodel before moving in.
Between work, mama breaking her hip and working on house allowed little time.

Pulled the retirement plug Nov 30 at 5 o'clock finally.
Now a full time resident of Mo.8-)
A lot to get use to now, all the time I want to do the things I want.
Getting use to the people.
And having to be around wifey all day :roll:.

After 50+ years of working it might be difficult getting use to not having to go to work.maybe a week or two:mrgreen:
But, I'll do my best,

Congratulations on the move. Ya'll already did the hard part......cause movin sucks. I was born and raised in Missouri. Having lived all around east central parts of the State....... St. Charles County, St Louis County and Jefferson County with grandparents living outside Farmington...... allows me to honestly say that you picked a really pretty area. And as has been said, the drug problem is everywhere in rural America......

bbs70
12-06-2016, 01:48 AM
I came down on weekends to work on the house.
No one there on weekdays.
And it has never been messed with, no hassles and no problems with the people.
And dang you're right , it is beautiful down here.

shoot-n-lead
12-06-2016, 02:01 AM
Congrats on retirement and the move. You will adapt very quickly and never look back. I retired in April and I recommend it to anyone.

smokeywolf
12-06-2016, 03:38 AM
I was forced into an early retirement several years ago. Reagan, Bush and Clinton's NAFTA cost me about $200,000, plus 2 extra years before I could submit my papers for my pension. Because I started over at about 41 years old, I now have teenagers I need to wait to finish high school before we escape from those who violate Constitutional law and put the comfort of illegal aliens ahead of the rights and hard earned money of U.S. citizens. brown, pelosi, harris, feinstein, boxer, et all should be seen as traitors for violating their oath of office.

Sorry for the short rant. Chiggers or not, I'm looking forward to becoming a resident of AR. I like MO too, but MO has a DemonRat governor.

lightman
12-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Congradulations on retirement and the move. I hope its everything that you want it to be and that you get to enjoy it for many years. You should really enjoy the hunting as I hear that its great.