PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vs LYMAN lube sizers

Tenbender
05-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Just bought my first RCBS die.., If there any better than a Lyman I will need something for it ! lol

MT Chambers
05-12-2015, 12:47 AM
I'd take the RCBS over the Lyman but....nothing can touch the STAR!!

fryboy
05-12-2015, 08:00 AM
on sizing dies i actually like the finish on the lyman's better , seems the outside's smoother and for me this translates to easier to clean lube off of later , either way i clean first and then polish the heck out of new dies with flitz [shrugz]

pworley1
05-12-2015, 08:19 AM
I have not found any significant difference between RCBS and Lyman dies. Neither are as good as Buckshots in my opinion.

Yodogsandman
05-12-2015, 03:19 PM
I have not found any significant difference between RCBS and Lyman dies. Neither are as good as Buckshots in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly!

UBER7MM
05-12-2015, 09:24 PM
I like the lube grooves in the RCBS over the Lyman. But price trumps all. Whichever is on sale or cheaper when purchasing......

Geezer in NH
05-15-2015, 05:51 PM
I have 5 Lyman's, 4 are 45's 1 is a 450. They work for me. A Stars great but I have more time than money. Note all my sizers are used and I have less than $100 in all.

Bigslug
05-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Sizing dies. . .don't really care. Sizers - I'm good at ordering replacement parts for Lymans. Haven't had to do it on the RCBS yet.

6pt-sika
05-16-2015, 07:00 PM
I have a Lyman 45 , I also have two Lyman 4500's and last but not least I HAD a RCBS Lubrimatic . Now to be honest I bought the RCBS used at a cheap price and before I ever bothered to try it someone offered me double what I had in it so down the road it went .

I cast and size for three diameters at the moment . The three sizers I use are a .433" , .461" and a .323" . The .323" is an RCBS and the other two were made by Buffalo Arms .

Of the 20,000 or so bullets I've cast and sized , they've all gone thru those two Lyman 4500's .

cajun shooter
06-12-2015, 09:04 AM
The next choice over either one of these lube/sizers is the SAECO. It is by far the best press and the most concentric sizer of this style made. It is made to a higher quality than either the Lyman or RCBS.
I've been casting since 1970 and have used every type of sizer made. The Star is at the top but for many more dollars than the Saeco. The Saeco will also use any type of lube it is fed as it has no center rod to contend with. I have ran bullets that were sized by the others and the Saeco sizes more concentric. Later David

SniderBoomer
06-14-2015, 01:05 PM
I have RCBS 1 & 2, Lyman 4500 and a Saeco.

As my experience grows, I can say, the Lyman is not well built for alignment, it's so far out (the die centre and centre of the top-punch are misaligned) I can only use it with a flat top-punch or it ruins my boolits.

The RCBS are much better in that regard.

The Seaco blows them all into the weeds for alignment, it's perfection, even if the dies are more expensive (they last forever, so value is what it is)

Tip: For Lyman or RCBS users, Buckshot's own made dies, made to your choice of sizing, are far superior, best there is.