PDA

View Full Version : Lee pot, now what?

borg
05-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I have used a couple of Lyman XX for the last 45 years and have had 1 die and the other still works.
Decided to get a Lee 4-20, put the upgrade on it, make a PID for it, and finally got to use it Sat.
Plugged it in, put 8 ingots in it and turned around to do something else, moving ingots from the back.
When I got back, I had an 8 lb puddle under in the ingot mold I had, and all over the footing and the casting bench.
First use and it wouldn't not pour/drip.
Cleaned up the mess, and started over, and it was a steady pour, even when I put pressure on the valve rod.
SOOO, I guess I'll take it apart and lap the rod/valve to see if that will work.
Any other suggestions?

Mike W1
05-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Don't have the 4-20 but I think there's an adjustment on there you need to do. Worst case do a search on Lee 4-20 or Lee Dripping as I know I've seen something about it somewhere.

Garyshome
05-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Check that screw on the top. It will adjust the flow rate

MT Chambers
05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Before I read your post I only read the title and I knew the first thing to do was......wait for it.....fix the leak!

borg
05-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Before I read your post I only read the title and I knew the first thing to do was......wait for it.....fix the leak!
Brilliant!. LOL
I did try to adjust the flow, and seemed to slow it down to a steady drip, 1 every 2 seconds

borg
05-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Think I'll drill a hole in an ingot and put a bolt holding it on. LOL

mongoose33
05-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Some people do as you suggest, i.e., lap the rod/seat to create a tighter seal.

Frankly, I'm not sure that a drip isn't an advantage. Seriously. By creating a slow movement of alloy through the spout, it retains higher heat than it otherwise would. I place an ingot mold under the spout to catch any drips.

If I were you, I'd alternate tightening and loosening the screw a few times and see if it settles in. Mine early on dripped a lot, it was just a matter of exercising the screw-adjustment and much of the problem went away.

It still drips a little but I don't consider it a big deal.

kens
05-11-2015, 05:35 PM
there is actually 2 screwdriver slots on that pot.
1 of them adjusts the height of the rod plug. you can adjust this one for a fast pour, or, a slower pour.
the other one is the rod plug itself, and sometimes I tweek it to settle out some dirt or contaminants, this usually stops the drip

Some days mine will drip, some days it runs real good. When it does drip, it is usually dirt under the rod.

big bore 99
05-11-2015, 05:43 PM
There should be a slot in the plunger rod. I just move it back and forth a little to seal.

borg
05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I don't know about you, but when it drips enough to fill an ingot cavity it the time it takes to make 6 casts, too fast for me.
As for the screwing the plunger back and forth,, first thing I did.

Eddie17
05-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Don't walk away from a new piece of Equiment, you can not trust factory setting.
Test then move forward!

Hardcast416taylor
05-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Fill the pot with zinc and other non castable lead products including slag from previous melts. Turn melt temp down after melted and then turn off pot entirely. Next day take solidified pot of scrap and tie a good quality nylon rope to the pot legs. Put pot in your fishing boat, move out into a good fishing spot on the lake and toss your new boat anchor overboard. If you neglected to tie the nylon rope to the boat - OOPS! Now bite the proverbial bullet and go buy an RCBS pot.Robert

bangerjim
05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Like said......NEVER walk away from a new piece of equipment!!!!!!

I have 2) 4-20's and they never have leaked......from day one. But I was standing there with the screwdriver at the ready to tweek the valve shaft while each heated up for the 1st few cycles.

It is an excellent product. Just get to know it and how to adjust it. Take the money you saved not buying the other expensive over-priced pots and buy a bunch of molds!

banger

N4AUD
05-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Hmmm....I must be very lucky. I have the same pot and I haven't had any problems. If you take the advice about turning it into a boat anchor, just ship it to me instead. I'll pay the shipping costs.

rodsvet
05-11-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm done with Lee casting pots. I used them for 25 years and poured thousands of good boolits. I got a good deal on a new Pro melt and could never use a Lee again. I thought that all the leaks, puddling, and drips was normal. Then I found out how relaxing it is to cast without having to fiddle, cuss, adjust, and tweek the machine all the time while casting. Lee will produce excellent boolits but at an unnerving expense. Rod

Tenbender
05-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Like said......NEVER walk away from a new piece of equipment!!!!!!

I have 2) 4-20's and they never have leaked......from day one. But I was standing there with the screwdriver at the ready to tweek the valve shaft while each heated up for the 1st few cycles.

It is an excellent product. Just get to know it and how to adjust it. Take the money you saved not buying the other expensive over-priced pots and buy a bunch of molds!

banger

:grin::grin: :grin:

gunoil
05-11-2015, 11:11 PM
sell it, buy rcbs pro melt.

gwpercle
05-12-2015, 01:52 PM
And allways put something under the pot to catch drips, especially if you are not right there to watch it.
The exact same thing happened to me, except I had put a metal pie plate under it...
I look at the pie plate ingot every time I pull metal out of my stash!
Experience is such a hard teacher!
Gary

robg
05-13-2015, 04:07 AM
the seal is only a cone shape drain pot take out rod check for burrs dirt etc .

bangerjim
05-13-2015, 04:19 PM
the seal is only a cone shape drain pot take out rod check for burrs dirt etc .

Right. It is a very simple metal plug in a hole! Any burrs and dirt stick in there will cause drips. I have never had the honor of having either of my 4-20's to leak or drip. Spinning the rod at the top will tend to clean the valve. If your drips contantly, I would take it apart and lap it with some valve lapping compound.

corbinace
10-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I was searching for something else when I found this thread but it caused me to wonder...

Can you, when the pot is brand new, put water in the pot and check for valve integrity? Yes I know water and hot lead do not mix, I am talking about before anything is plugged in and then thoroughly dry the machine. The lead is also heavier and will have the effect of more head on the valve.

That way the valve could be checked and tweeked without all of that hot stuff dripping?

I ask because I have a new Lee pot coming in the mail, and as such have not seen one in person. If this is just too stupid a question, please ignore it and I will see for myself in a couple days.

Tim.

retread
10-27-2015, 12:16 AM
there is actually 2 screwdriver slots on that pot.
1 of them adjusts the height of the rod plug. you can adjust this one for a fast pour, or, a slower pour.
the other one is the rod plug itself, and sometimes I tweek it to settle out some dirt or contaminants, this usually stops the drip

Some days mine will drip, some days it runs real good. When it does drip, it is usually dirt under the rod.

That is true of the older pots but I just got my second one a month or so ago and it only has the screw slot on the main rod. You can only move it back and forth to limit the dripping. The old style you could spin the main rod without losing your adjustment. New but not improved! Probably saves Lee money on the manufacture though.

clum553946
10-27-2015, 12:29 AM
If you have the same problem as the op, I would suggest getting a warranty replace or refund. You shouldn't have to fix a new, out of box item. I bought one of the Lee's, had problems from to get go. I bought mine through Amazon Prime, so they took it back, no questions asked, & paid for return as well!

I was searching for something else when I found this thread but it caused me to wonder...

Can you, when the pot is brand new, put water in the pot and check for valve integrity? Yes I know water and hot lead do not mix, I am talking about before anything is plugged in and then thoroughly dry the machine. The lead is also heavier and will have the effect of more head on the valve.

That way the valve could be checked and tweeked without all of that hot stuff dripping?

I ask because I have a new Lee pot coming in the mail, and as such have not seen one in person. If this is just too stupid a question, please ignore it and I will see for myself in a couple days.

Tim.