PDA

View Full Version : Hornady factory .22 hornet brass ??'s

Xcaliber
05-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Hello, been gone a good while ,but got back in for my son-n-law wanting to re-load .22 hornet. He recently just bought a Savage .22
Hornet model 25 with the bull barrel I believe . Anyways, he brought me 20 cases of the Hornady factory fired from that rifle and all
20 cases had small .059 primer holes and the bottom of those cases seemed to be concave. Has anybody here ever run into this before .
fixed my primer hole situation but the concaved bottoms ...Ive never seen before. Can anybody here tell me whether the cases can still be re-loaded or not. Thank you. Any help on this will be appreciated very much.

richhodg66
05-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Not sure about Hornady, but PPU brass is good stuff and available.

Xcaliber
05-13-2015, 10:29 PM
Thank you richhodg66 , got my answer on my 1st time issue from Hornady. They do make their brass with smaller primer holes. I took a new factory round apart and re-measured the hole..it came to .052 . Im gonna keep it simple and stick with Remy and WW brass. I also told my son-in-law not to buy anymore Hornady v-Max .22 hornet.

sparky45
05-13-2015, 10:35 PM
I like loading with Hornady V-Max bullets, but I use Winchester Brass. I found with Hornady Brass (204 brass) that the case weight differed by over 10 grains, made me think I had over charged a few of my reloads.

rollmyown
05-14-2015, 04:12 AM
Why would a company use its own proprietary primer size? That just sounds crazy and will cost them sales.

wch
05-14-2015, 05:46 AM
I spoke to a Hornady tech about this anomaly not long ago and his response was that if you bought Hornady empty 22 Hornet cases you can reload them with standard dies and pins but the factory ammunition required a smaller decapping pin.
I bought several brands of small pins (from Hornady, Forster and Sinclair) but I have yet to try them to see if any of them will decap the fired factory cases.
I asked the tech why Hornady pursued this tack and was told that it was because of the non-canister powder that Hornady used in the manufacture of the ammunition, a powder that is unobtainable on the retail market.

Xcaliber
05-14-2015, 03:50 PM
I've looked in most all sites today and just but about all the .22 hornet brass is sold out. Seems odd that they would sell their re-loadable brass with regular primer holes so a re-loader could re-load them ...but not the factory when shot to re-use. I wish they would use the KISS method and just keep it simple. Am still afraid to buy any Hornady brass and go thru the primer pin hassel . Besides that ..I wonder if their brass for re-loading is also Dish or concave shaped.

No_1
05-18-2015, 06:12 AM
Moved to the Case Forming / Reforming section. Maybe someone can come up with a work around.

Brasso
05-18-2015, 06:39 AM
I would drill the flashholes to standard size and reload them. Problem solved.

kenyerian
05-18-2015, 07:58 AM
I drilled mine and then used a Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool on them. it takes some extra time but the results are worth it.

ohland
05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool

Similar here, but it would be a K&M tool.

JohnMiller
05-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Factory brass probably has small primer hole to squeeze a bit for pressure into the factory loading. Hornady's factory loadings really push for velocity.

.22-10-45
05-20-2015, 08:23 PM
RWS Hornet brass also has smaller than normal flash hole dia...this brass has really brought out the accuracy in my hornet..much more consistant than either Rem. or Win. brass..don't be too quick in drilling flash holes larger..polish down decap pin & give it a try first.