PDA

View Full Version : Most important piece of Casting Equipment?

Case Stuffer
05-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Perhaps it is a semi-skilled to skilled laborer who is willing to work cheap.

Ran some numbers this morning.

My present alloy cost me $1.75 pound , 9mm 125 gr. are 55 per pound so 0.032 ea. or $32 per thousand. RCBS Pro Melt
I cast 800 per hour so 1-1/4 hr per thousand .
I size 1,000 per hour so 2 -1/4 hrs. per 1,000 Lee Push thru after powder coating.

Quick net search for 9mm 125 LRN

Albuqueroue Bullet Co. $52 per 1,000 standard lube

Falcon Bullet Co. $64 per 1,000 standard lube

Missouri Bullet Co $70 per 1,000 , these Hi-Tek coated

so in theory I save between $20 and $38 per 1,000 which equals between $8.88 and $16.88 per hour.

I have owned my RCBS Pro Melt and 9mm molds for round 35 years but a new caster would be looking at around $390 for the furnace and $50 for a Lee six cavity mold and handles, $20 for a Lee sizer.

I have not included $20 for a cheap toaster oven , $20 or so for a pound of quality power coating material, safety equipment , work space electricity etc.All of this equipment should last for tens to hunrdeds of thousands of Boolits.

Why do we do it?

I enjoy it , it gets me off of my back side,provides some exercise, makes me feel a little more independent and provide a real sense of accomplishment.

jmorris
05-10-2015, 11:45 AM
I do it because I have never bought lead using machines for most of my casting/sizing also reduces the work.

bhn22
05-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Casting made me a control freak. I can make practically any cast bullet I want perform practically any way I want. I haven't gotten into the high velocity alloys yet, but I've spent enough time with some of the shakers and movers that when I becomes my next step, I'll be ready for it.

mongoose33
05-10-2015, 01:20 PM
If it were all about saving money, IMO very few would do it.

That means there must be other compensations. A feeling of independence. A feeling of accomplishment. The joy of learning as well as developing the skill to do something for oneself. The ability to tweak boolits and loads to maximum advantage. Relaxation. Invention. Testing theories.

As time has gone on, for me this has become less about saving money and more about the other important factors. I suspect many, perhaps most get into this to "save money." They stay because the money factor declines in importance over time, while the other elements of casting--and reloading--become more valuable.

skud_dusty
05-10-2015, 02:45 PM
I wanted to be able to shoot more so I got into reloading. I wanted to be able to shoot even more so I started reading about casting. Turns out my range says I can have all the lead I can pull out of the hill at no cost. Now I can shoot my 9s and .357s for what .22lr costs.

I'm finding it to be a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby although the upfront costs were a little staggering.

dragon813gt
05-10-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm able to shoot a lot more for the same amount of money. It's never been about saving money. I'm also able to tailor every aspect for a particular firearm. If I went into this trying to save money I would be greatly disappointed as I've spent tens of thousands on tooling and components.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-10-2015, 07:26 PM
I rarely shoot the 9.

Let me know when you start running the numbers on 41 and 44 cal.

But more importantly, as you kind of alluded to in the OP ...since I started casting, I have gained a skill or two or three.

slim1836
05-10-2015, 08:18 PM
It keeps me out of the bars and that saves me a lot of cash.

Slim

dikman
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
As per the title question, obviously the mould, as there are several options when it comes to melting/pouring the lead, but without a mould you're not going to get very far!

As to the other question that seems to have been raised in the thread (why do it?) simple answer -

'cos I can :D.

Beagle333
05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
it keeps me out of the bars and that saves me a lot of cash.

Slim

Amen!!! 8-)

kiwi
05-10-2015, 08:56 PM
I am lucky down here there is no BS about selling boolits without a manufacturers permit, I can make money casting and I like casting and helping others to have fun with cast boolits
if I only shot what I cast I would not be casting very much, As it is I have moulds I never would have bought otherwise and I get to cast 2-4 times a week, I have learned more about casting in the 4 years I have been retired and casting for a profit than the previous 40 years of casting for myself, plus it keeps me busy and sane.
Robert.

Schrag4
05-10-2015, 09:01 PM
If it were all about saving money, IMO very few would do it.

That means there must be other compensations. A feeling of independence. A feeling of accomplishment. The joy of learning as well as developing the skill to do something for oneself. The ability to tweak boolits and loads to maximum advantage. Relaxation. Invention. Testing theories.

As time has gone on, for me this has become less about saving money and more about the other important factors. I suspect many, perhaps most get into this to "save money." They stay because the money factor declines in importance over time, while the other elements of casting--and reloading--become more valuable.

This pretty much pegs me. I got into it partly to save money but partly because I got into shooting/reloading during the last shortage on projectiles. When the next shortage hits, I will be ready. Plus, I find it relaxing and enjoyable. I like the learning, the sense of accomplishment, independence. Everything you said, 100% agree.

bangerjim
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I like having total control over everything:
Boolit size
Boolit design
Boolit weight
Powder charge
Recoil

I have many molds, some I use reguraly - some I rearly cast anymore. Bought them on a whim to try the design/weight.

I have never ran a cost comparison on $$/round. I really do not care. It is fun and, like above, revolves around my absence from local bars and warehouses!

PC'ing allows me to shoot more rounds without worrying about lead hardness as much as before and......less cleaning after a day at the range.

Killing water bottles and paper is relaxing.

And...........I do it because I CAN!!!!!!!!!

WILCO
05-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Why do we do it?

Because we can. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

GhostHawk
05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Me I love casting, got started way back in the 70's casting round balls for front stuffers. Got into sinkers and enjoy having a sinker casting party once a year to restock my supply.

Started casting bullets seriously about a year ago, reminded me of how much I enjoy it and why.

Since then I have bought molds and I am casting for 7.62x54r (Pair of Mosin's) 7.62x39 (Yugo SKS, and H&R single shot)
.45ACP (SA 1911) .357 Mag (H&R Single shot) .300 Blackout (H&R Single Shot) .444 Marlin (H&R Single shot, and my first cast cloverleaf) along with 9mm for my shooting buddy's Beretta, and 7.62x25 (CZ-52)

In total I am up to 3 .30 cal molds, 2 for the .444, a plinking 215 gr and the big Lee .430 310 grain.
A single .356 158 gr TL, .452 228 gr.

With Cast bullets, a good supply of powder and primers, shooting primarily Red Dot, I can load rounds for 7-11 cents each.
Which allows me to play with all my toy's without breaking the bank.

I don't really hunt anymore, so I'm not concerned with faster, or hitting harder.

So far my most accurate efforts thus far have been the .444 Marlin and the .357 Mag rifle.
The .444 gave me a true perfect 3 shot cloverleaf at 25 yards, and would have given me another at 75 if I hadn't pulled it.
The .357 put 3 shots into one ragged hole at 50. Holes were not cut as cleanly as the big .444 but you can see where each boolit entered.

I have lost my desire to kill anything long ago. But I am deeply uneasy about the future of this country. I believe in being at least somewhat prepared. So knowing that I can put a .310 grain slug into an eyeball sized hole at 75 yards just helps me sleep sound at night. Nuff rambling for one night. There is much yet to be done, and much to be improved. And I am very thankful for all that I have learned here, and am still learning.

Spawn-Inc
05-10-2015, 10:55 PM
i've never found a 700gr 50 cal bullet for my 500mag in Canada for sale, loaded or just the boolit. All the other reasons listed above, though i still go to bars and drink :/

MT Chambers
05-11-2015, 07:56 PM
You didn't look far enough, all these heavyweights are avail. from Sask. bullet maker.

Rick O'Shay
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Not that long ago you could not buy any boolits at the store. My friends at work were envious of me when I could go shoot all weekend, then reload during the week at a fraction of the cost.

jsizemore
05-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Casting keeps the cost of shooting affordable. And, I got my grand slams in silhouette shooting lead.

Ranger 7
05-12-2015, 08:21 PM
It costs me: Primers (About 0.04 per round) and Powder (About 0.03 Per round). $3.50 per box. A lot less that any .22 LR I have seen available in years.
The lowest price I have seen in at lease two years has been $5.90, + tax.
My lead is range scrap (Has been since I started casting six years ago, or about 38,000 rounds ago).
My cartridge cases are range pickups: sorted, cleaned, polished, inspected. Average reloads per case:14. I load medium loads.
I was advised by an old timer (About 40 years ago) to collect & save any brass I could, no matter the caliber. Someday I would find a use for it, he said.
Sure was right!
As I enjoy casting and reloading all I do is win. My press, dies, pots, molds, etc were paid for long ago!

BNE
05-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Compare the cost to a 45ACP or the 44Mag. If you are saving $$ with the 9mm, you are saving 2 to 3X when shooting the more expensive rounds.

I do it because I can.

I do it so I can do it if I can't buy ammo in the future.

I also do it because it is just plane FUN!

robg
05-13-2015, 04:02 AM
I started loading my own to shoot now I shoot to load.besides its fun and I like being in control ,roll my own smokes as well.

rintinglen
05-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Not that long ago you could not buy any boolits at the store. My friends at work were envious of me when I could go shoot all weekend, then reload during the week at a fraction of the cost.
^^^^^what he said!!!

gwpercle
05-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Because golf and tennis are not near as much fun as casting boolits , reloading and shooting!