PDA

View Full Version : old currency questions

gew98
05-09-2015, 11:50 AM
A neighbor asked me to identify and hopefully value some odd old currncy he got from a late relative.5 different bills.. All aged and a bit fragile.

1) Burlington in New-Jersey , eighteen pence - Bill of one shilling. Printed by Isaac Collins 1778

2) Five shillings , Printed by John Adams 1776 , believe it refers to Delaware in the txt of the note.

3) North Carolina currency , Four dollars. Printed by James Davis 1778

4) State of New York , Ten Spanish Milled Dollars.Refers to august 1776 in text of bill. Printed by Samuel Loudon M.DCC.LXXVI

5) Eight Dollors equal to 36 s Sterling . Annapolis Maryland , 10th April 1774

So should I laminate these to protect them - and possibility of them being real ?. Any help appreciated.

Multigunner
05-09-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't think I'd laminate them. They may need to be apraised in the future and lamination would make inspection of the surface of the material difficult.
Perhaps put under glass?
With paper objects that old I'd suggest consulting a Numismatist for instructions on conservation.

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Agreed on the glass, some plastics and paper would possibly harm them. As you may know colonies, states, large companies, banks and even wealthy individuals printed currency in those days. Some even minted coins.

pworley1
05-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Once you laminate them they are no longer collectable.

bangerjim
05-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Go to a coin collecting store and buy the special NON DESTRUCTIVE plastic cases you can put each bill in. Proects them, does NOT damage them, and they can be easily removed for examination by an expert for valuation.

Once valued buy a certified expert, they will be sealed in a certified plastic case with a rating sticker (hologram and all!) ....if they are worth anything spactacular.

OMG..........DO NOT LAMINATE!!!!!!!!!!! You will TOTALLY ruin them.

I have several currency items rated, ranked, and sealed like I described above. That is how the pros do it to maintian visability and value.

banger

MaryB
05-10-2015, 01:35 AM
As mentioned get them appraised! Could be worth a lot, could be common... a quick search is showing prices of $300 and up for similar bills but I am not a currency collector so it could be less. Depends on so many factors.

mold maker
05-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Fortunes can be lost or ruined by well meaning amateurs, when dealing with treasures. Professional storage and evaluation will determine value and future. Even if worthless, they are still worth protecting. Just like unobtainium, they don't make it anymore.