PDA

View Full Version : Recived my first non-aluminum mold today. RCBS. Handsome.

Tallbald
05-08-2015, 11:22 PM
I sprung for my first non-aluminum bullet mold earlier this week and it arrived yesterday. It's an RCBS 140 grain for .357. Had not in my memory held a new iron mold before until this one. I really appreciate well-executed machine work and the fit and finish of this mold is attractive. In a way, it to me is as nice as any piece of jewelry could be. But I have an odd sense of "style" I'm told (grin). I understand there are a number of beautiful custom molds offered for sale but I'm not a man of means who can afford some higher priced selections. I do look forward to researching here how to clean and prep a new mold for use. Had to buy the RCBS handles too, and I'm pleased with the rugged construction they show as well.With care, both should well outlast me.
Just wanted to share my thoughts with others here. Thanks. Don.

35 shooter
05-08-2015, 11:40 PM
RCBS makes a great mold in my opinion. I bought a couple of 44 cal. molds back in the 70's with one handle and they are all still good to go today.
I usually go with NOE now if they make what i want, and they usually do. Still wouldn't hesitate to go with a good RCBS though and did so with my first 35 cal. rifle mold a few years ago and it too pours perfect boolits.

Tallbald
05-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Thank you 35Shooter. I know some may prefer a more exclusive manufacturer's molds, but I am pleased and excited to now have this one myself. Don.

Ohio3Wheels
05-09-2015, 12:18 AM
I own one RCBS mold a 400gr 40 caliber for my 40-65 Win Sharps. Love the mold and the gun likes the bullet cast anywhere from 30-1 to 20-1. Doesn't seem to particular. I've had the mold fort at least 15 years now and it still drops bullets as good as it did the week it was new.

Make smoke,
Curt

bhn22
05-09-2015, 01:02 AM
RCBS is light years ahead of Lyman in iron moulds, and qualitywise hold their own with SAECO at nearly half the price. I personally prefer steel over aluminum, and will likely be migrating back to them in the future. RCBS may not offeer 4 cavity moulds, but casting with two identical 2 cavity moulds has always been faster for me anyway.

longbow
05-09-2015, 01:49 AM
I also prefer iron moulds over aluminum and even brass. I grew up with Lyman iron moulds and used many of them in my younger days. I have quite a few Lymans, RCBS and Ohaus iron moulds.

I think iron is the best of the best even though I do like my Mihec and Accurate brass moulds.

If I had to choose, iron would be my material of choice and RCBS is a top commercial maker. Nice moulds!

Contrary to many I really do not prep a mould. I simply wipe it down with a rag or paper towel, apply a bit of sprue plate lube to the sprue plate and alignment pins then pre-heat until the sprue plate lube just starts to smoke then start casting.

Many scrub with Dawn dishwashing detergent, wash in dishwashers, soak in mineral spirits, spray with brake cleaner, etc. none of which is bad and certainly may help but I havefound that just making sure the mould is wiped down then pre-heated to about the melting pint of the alloy works just fine for me.

However you Christen that mould I am sure you will get years of enjoyable casting from it.

I am with you on the jewelry comment and I will add that the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 is about the best perfume ever!

Longbow

Litl Red 3991
05-09-2015, 08:13 AM
RCBS 140 gr .357 ??

Sounds like their Cowboy mould. If it is, I discovered it holds enough lube for BP too. And the bullets have proven to be as accurate as a hollow base wadcutter load recently used the first part of a 2 month league. The second part of that league, the 140 cowboy bullets were used and they scored higher. I got the 357 mould after seeing the quality of bullets the RCBS 90gr 32 Cowboy mould produced. Almost no rejects and accurate as sin.

The moulds of choice for my 40-65 loads have been the RCBS CSA (C Sharps Arms) ones. They were the first RCBS bought years ago, and showed what iron could do. Sit them up on the warming shelf of the Lyman 20lb when it's plugged in, and they will drop keepers almost right away. And drop very, very few rejects till you're done.

The keeper rate with iron seems to be higher. I'm guessing it's how well they hold heat, and how the mould and sprue plates temperatures stay together. But really don't care why. It's just nice to get almost 100% usable. And be able to use 'em with smokeless or black. And have them the ones the guns shoot best.

lightman
05-09-2015, 08:36 AM
I've run RCBS molds for several years and they make great bullets. I just wish they would make a 4 cavity mold. I'm sure you will like yours and will get years of service from it.

All I do to a new mold is de-grease it with something like brake cleaner, scrub the vents with a tooth brush, and start casting. Enjoy your mold.

45-70 Chevroner
05-09-2015, 02:31 PM
I like to clean my new molds ( aluminum or steel ) with alcohol first to get most of the oil off then I use Comet cleanser and dish soap with a tooth brush and very hot water. I usually just put some dish soap on the mold then sprinkle some Comet on it and just scrub the heck out of it. As you rinse it off with very hot water continue scrubbing it with the tooth brush until the soapy residue is gone. If you use it right away just preheat it and your are good to go. If you just put it up be sure to blow it off with an air hose very throughly so as not to rust.

Ken in Iowa
05-09-2015, 02:37 PM
I just started using the same 38-140-CM mould. It is my 4th RCBS mould.

After spraying it out with degreaser and applying Bullplate, it was casting decently when it came to temp. Base fill out was good after about 20-30 casts. After that, all keepers running as fast as I could go.

Scharfschuetze
05-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Good choice!

There are lots of good moulds out there and RCBS moulds are among the best. I've been using several of them (pistol & rifle) for almost 40 years now and they are still producing great boolits. I also use two RCBS lubricator-sizers and they show no sign of wearing out after literally thousands and thousands of sized boolits.

MT Chambers
05-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Saeco and RCBS are the best "production" molds, kinda gets you liking them more then aluminum.

muddcatt54
05-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Like you I recently purchased my first steel mould and handles the difference between the two was very obvious my aluminum mold started dropping the alignment pins and casting out of round bullets but it got me started I couldn't get over how well the mold and handles were made its a 175 grain Lyman anyway I ordered a 150grain .40cal last week and am loading those pretty sac today no more aluminum moulds for me I also like hoppes no 9 but the wife won't wear it

country gent
05-09-2015, 03:07 PM
I started out with lee moulds in several calibers casting decent bullets and enjoying the process. At a gun show I picked up a couple used lymans in diffrent calibers then a couple rcbs and have found them all very useable I have recently went to brass moulds in a couple bigger rifle calibers with great results, these were Old West moulds made by Bernie Rowles. My 30 cal 180 grn rcbs 2 cavity mould drop great bullets that you cant tell which cavity the bullet came from. Lee lyman rcbs saco redding and the custom makers all make great moulds.

ukrifleman
05-09-2015, 03:10 PM
I have an RCBS 140gn Silhouette mould for my 6.5's and it produces superb bullets.

ukrifleman.

Petrol & Powder
05-09-2015, 04:07 PM
My two most used molds are RCBS molds and they are very well made. I'll never part with them voluntarily.

As for the RCBS handles, they are good quality as well. I removed the nut and bolt on my mold handles and separated the two halves. After separating the two handles sections, I locked each one in a vise and draw filed the area where they contact each other. After getting the two sections perfectly flat with a file, I then stoned them smooth. I greased the contact surfaces and re-installed the pivot bolt. I carefully tightened the nut until the handles would pivot freely without binding and there is no play in the handles. I've never had to adjust them since and they work beautifully.
Probably way more work than needed but I was bored :D.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-09-2015, 09:19 PM
I've had 4 RCBS molds for several decades now. They have always done a good job for me without an problems. The workmanship/quality control was top notch from the beginning and still is. The RCBS handles are also well made. LLS

Tallbald
05-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Hey thanks for all the encouragement. Here's a "break your heart" story. When I started casting last fall, I went to a local scrap dealer for lead roofing materials. Started talking to him about bullet casting. He said "wait a minute" and rooted around a remote 5 gallon bucket looking for some things without success. I asked what he was looking for, and he said that for a long time they had a bucket full of bullet molds "wood handles and all" they hated to throw in with the rest of the iron. Evidently they cleaned house and tossed them in the scrap pile one day though..... I felt sick. Don.

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 11:13 PM
I get an "old school" feeling when I cast with steel/iron moulds, it's almost therapeutic. I don't have any RCBS moulds but I have a few very good Lyman moulds that make some very nice "old school" boolits for my 38-55's, 45-90 and even that new kid on the block, the 375 Winchester.

shoot-n-lead
05-10-2015, 11:40 PM
I like RCBS molds...have a bunch..., but as time goes by, I use them less. The alum molds make as nice a bullet for me and they pile up a lot quicker.

retread
05-10-2015, 11:53 PM
I shoot with a groups of friends most of the time. I also cast for most if not all in the group. 6 cavity Lees are my go to molds if my supplies or running short and my time is limited. If time is not a factor I go back to my RCBS and Lyman molds and enjoy the process. Truly relaxing.

Bryan527
05-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Those RCBS moulds are good quality. I have three. I found a .41 at a gun show that was well used but well cared for and it's the best one I have. Casts great boolits. They typically weigh within one grain of the advertised weight. I have a new .44 K and I'm hoping it will be as good.

Rick B
05-24-2015, 11:52 AM
RCBS without a doubt makes the best iron mold for the money. Since they bought the Ohaus Mold line their quality has been consistent since the 70's. Just bought a NOS mold, wadded newspaper packaging was from 1978, mold looks the same as a new one I bought last year.
Rick