PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to sell a gun/guns

EOD3
05-05-2015, 05:07 PM
I was in a gun shop the other day and witnessed something (sleazy) that I thought was universal knowledge. You younger kids listen up.

A kid walks into a gun shop with a few guns he wants to sell. The gun shop guys (at least two, we'll call them mister Low and mister Lower) will evaluate each of the guns. This is where the sleaze begins. Mister low will quote a price, much lower than book value, then mister Lower will whip out the OH BOY, I'd only offer $ (a ridiculously low price). This goes on for each of the guns and any calls of BULL**** they have to renegotiate. The more guns, the easier it is for them to swindle you by juggling the numbers. Then mister Low tells mister Lower that he thinks the guns are worth more than mister Lower is willing to offer and that he's going to cut a check for a little bit more than the low prices.

What these dirt-bags are doing is trying to make you believe that mister Low is your friend and he's on your side. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Pick up your guns and WALK. NEVER do business with these crooks again. Make sure all your gun buddies know what they are. IMHO (like I have one of those), you should make it your personal goal in life to drive them out of the business. Be careful what you say in public, the thieves will be VERY angry.

jonp
05-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Good Cop, Bad Cop. Bad business but no-one is forcing the customer to take the offered price.

Always go to a couple of shops and knowwhere you are going. Walk into a black plastic tacti-cool shop with a Citori and your in for a bad day. Remember that in every deal look at several online sights to see what your guns are going for and any reputable shop will let you look at the book to see the values they are going off.

This go's both ways. I walked into a tacti cool shop and saw a lonely 45Colt lever on the shelf barely used they got in trade. Didnt want it as it wasnt groovy and people going in there want the latest Daniel Defense or hi capacity Glock. I walked out with an almost new lever for about $300

starmac
05-05-2015, 05:38 PM
If a guy is wanting to sell a gun, why would you want to take it to a place that sells guns. The only way they can stay in business is to pay low prices.

I do agree that you can sometimes pick up some great deals oh hunting rifles, even handguns at tacticool shops.
We did have one here that considered anything other than a black gun as not worthy of their time, which was great, but they are no longer in business.

fatelk
05-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Many years ago I was in a small local gun shop and the proprietor was bragging about how he had just absolutely ripped off a couple of young guys, pennies on the dollar for some nice old guns.

The rest of the story: these kids had just inherited Grandpa's hunting and reloading collection. The very first thing they did was drag it all down to the first gun shop they could find to dump it and party on the money. As he was examining the collection they were standing there laughing it up how much fun they were going to have and how drunk they were going to get. As I recall they were nice old guns that had been well used and cared for. The gun shop guy, as he told it, got so ticked off listening to them and how they disrespected their late grandfather that he gave them a ridiculous low-ball offer. They jumped at the cash and left to get drunk, never knowing any different.

Third-hand story repeated on the internet 20 years later, so it must be true, right? Looking back now, as I recall the story, I hope he checked to make sure they weren't stolen, er, I mean stolen before he stole them.

lead-1
05-06-2015, 12:17 AM
I asked the salesman at a local shop where their used guns where and he said they didn't have any except the ones on the end of the rack, maybe seven or eight.
He said they don't pay much for used guns so they don't get many brought in.

Mk42gunner
05-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Twenty or more years ago you didn't have a lot of choices to check prices if you didn't live near two or more gunshops. Now with the advent of the internet, it is fairly easy for someone to get at least a ballpark idea of what a gun's retail price should be. Deciding if you want to sell it for 20% or 80% of that price is the sellers business.

Robert

Bob in Revelstoke
05-06-2015, 12:57 AM
I have sold a few at a gun shop. The owner took them on a "consignment" basis. His profit was a persentage of the selling price, therefore, the more he sold them for, the more he made. In the end, we were both happy.

clintsfolly
05-06-2015, 06:48 AM
In 1982 I worked in a gun shop and we would pay blue book but the book was from 1974. Clint

opos
05-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Years ago I worked in a small town gun store (as well as boats, sporting goods, etc.)..we were in a College town so often the kids would run short of money and sell their guns, etc....our deal was if a gun was clean an nice..it would sell out the door for about 1/2 of new so we would pay 1/4 of retail in order to double our money (keystoning)...if that was not good enough for the seller he was free to leave and go elsewhere. Just the cost of doing business with a store that has overhead and needs a profit. Many of those second hand guns sat on the rack for months if not years.

garym1a2
05-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Stores got to make money to pay for both employees plus keep the power on. If you want good money for a gun you have to sell it direct to a consumer.

captaint
05-06-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm afraid no one should go to a gun store, selling any kind of gun, and expect more than half the value of said gun. As has been said these guys have overhead. Just the way it is. And as gary said, sell it to the final user.

dragon813gt
05-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Selling a firearm to a LGS is the same as trading in your car at a dealer. Private party sales always yield more money for the seller.

cabezaverde
05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
What do you guys think about auction houses?

starmac
05-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Most auctions here have a few guns. These are just auctions, not gun auctions. The ones I have been too they have brought top dollar and better, sometimes much better.

cabezaverde
05-06-2015, 01:36 PM
The reason I ask is there are some around here that are guns only.

EDK
05-07-2015, 02:08 PM
My divorce proceedings went on for 25 months. The ex-wife's attorney told her to break into the man cave, have a locksmith open the safes, and heist my guns. We compromised by inventorying. She got irrate when I bought a new copy of Fjerstadt's (sp?) blue book to establish prices. I also got a statement from two local gun shops that one of them paid "blue book minus 10%" and the other "half of blue book."

I don't have a camera and don't want the hassle of internet auctions, BUT gunbroker or auctionarms are definitely the way to sell IF you can't find a local buyer. I would prefer a face-to-face sale, BUT a young man selling a car on CRAIG'S LIST here in St Louis area was murdered when he met a prospective seller. The suspect had him meet at the parking lot of his employer, killed the guy and hid the body in the woods, and then went back to work.

At 66, I've found sellers remorse to be a terrible thing. I haven't sold or traded off a firearm in years.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah I don't sell guns either. Figured that out years ago. They will sit in the safe before I sell them.

opos
05-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Biggest reaming I ever took was selling guns at a local auction..many years ago but it was a nightmare..the auctioneer was one of the "quick hammer" boys for his buddies..stuff sold while bidding was still going on...never again...they either quick hammer to their buddies to take make believe bids from the balcony to run the prices up...No Mas!!

mold maker
05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Dont forget the auction co gets a healthy % of the sale, while controlling it. Many a "good ole boy", got a bargain at the seller's expense.
Personal sale to an individual equals two friends/fellows made happy.

dakotashooter2
05-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Around here the retail shops will offer you 75% of book value and the independents will usually give you 85-90%. I just shake my head when I see sellers like "The Gunfather" who seem insulted if you don't accept their offer of 50% below book to buy from you and then expect to get 25-40% above book because they "cleaned" the gun.

Black Powder Bill
05-08-2015, 04:12 PM
I've walked over and offered more a few times, shuts them right down!
If a guy brings me a hammer he gets my cost less a % depending on condition , if he is offering cartridges, case or scope and recent internet sales prices. The scope has to be a fair scope no Mongolian stuff. I offer a fair price if he don't like it find another FFL who I'm sure will take 30% right off the top of what you think you should get price.
I tell a guy right out: I can purchase this wholesale for X$ give or take a few $$.

country gent
05-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Lately Ive had issues with Auction houses and auctions in general for one main reason. They charge the seller anywhere from 6%-10% for holding the auction. Then around here they also charge a 6-10% buyers fee on top of what you have bid on an item. So with fees for both buyer and seller just who is the auctioneer representing ( other than himself)? Its something to consider or think about. AUctions can be a big selling point with certain items if there is an intrest there and several buyers. I interested person dosnt make an auction. # that feel its a contest to "win" an item do.

andremajic
05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
If you have a couple guns that you're just trying to trade in or sell to a shop at a small loss (they DO have to make a profit to feed their kids and pay the bills.) I've found this strategy to work well.

1. Even if you have 5-10 guns, NEVER bring them all in at once. That's just ASKING to be lowballed, when you bring in a group of guns. Bring one in, and negotiate a good price on it. If you can't negotiate a good price that you're willing to take, go elsewhere.

2. If you get an acceptable price, bring in another. Continue the negotiations.

3. Repeat step 1 and 2 until finished.

The best deal should be when BOTH the seller and the buyer think they've made off like a horse thief. If you don't have that feeling when you're done, you probably need to work on your negotiation skills.

Haste makes waste. Take your time.

Andy

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 10:31 AM
I've had some success trading at a retail gun store, only time I had to walk away was when I was trying to sell a rifle that I later brought out of retirement and had a good time with. I got a lowball offer but that manager has moved on. Last trade I was prepared to take less for my trade and got a bit more off the top as well. This is a shop where I've bought quite a few guns lately and my buddy trades there too. I know that helps, we've had threads about the importance of developing a relationship with your LGS. Dropping by to BS and fondle a few when business is slow is good on both sides of the counter. I get to learn about another old gun and the salesman gets to look busy for the boss and other customers. I also get to know the salesman/manager and have learned their pricing and marketing strategy. I'm also well aware of the role of profit in a business environment so I don't walk in with unrealistic expectations.

quickdraw66
05-09-2015, 10:40 AM
I rarely sell guns but when I do I either list them on a forum, a local facebook guntrader page, or rarely on gun broker. It seems I get the most money that way.

starmac
05-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Generally when I get rid of one, I give it away. I reckon I have been really getting hosed. lol

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Generally when I get rid of one, I give it away. I reckon I have been really getting hosed. lol

Quite possibly, lol. I'd rather give it away than accept a lowball offer. Had an extra (?!?!) levergun once, my brother had none. Problem solved. I didn't let a good gun out of the family and he has a good rifle that filled a void in his small collection of hunting arms.

DCM
05-09-2015, 01:04 PM
I decide what I want to get for it then tell my smalltime FFL that works the gunshows and Gunbroker how much I want to get.
He then does all the leg work of selling it for the most he can then pays me my desired $$$.
I rarely know how much he makes nor do I care as long as I get my asking price.
Sometimes they go fast sometimes slow.
He handles the part I don't want to deal with, we both get a paper trail and green paper and are happy.
As others said patience pays off here, Haste makes waste.

Sometimes a good trade works even better. I once traded a 10-22 I hated for a flintlock I love we both felt like we got a great deal as he loves that nasty thing I hated.

azrednek
05-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Friend of mine used to own and operate a pawn shop. He never paid much, he claimed apx 20-25% were stolen and he had to turn them over to police.

On one occasion I watched him buy a Nazi marked Hi Power with hard shell holster for about 125. I was hoping the seller would decline the offer then catch him in the parking lot. No such luck. I later asked my friend how much he sold the Hi Power for and he told me it went into his personal collection.

bob208
05-09-2015, 05:55 PM
well I am lucky we have a top notch gun auctioneer. reading auction service. he has gun auctions first 3 months of the year also does computer and phone bids. has his ffl so he can do transfers right there same day.

I have appointment to talk to him and will put it in my will.

azrednek
05-09-2015, 06:48 PM
I have appointment to talk to him and will put it in my will.

The guy selling my guns after I croak advised me to write a short narrative on every gun. He said any known details like the purchase history of whom, where, when and how much. Any alterations or customizing he suggested to include by whom, cost and include any original receipts if possible. He advised to mention any boxes, manuals or receipts in the narrative so your relatives know to look for it. I've clandestinely marked most all my guns for positive identification in case of a theft and mention it in the narratives I wrote.

The seller's fee is going to be 25% for the first 499.00, 20% 500-999 and 15% for anything over a grand for each gun. No additional FFL, listing or photo fees but actual shipping cost will be deducted for anything that goes out of state. My heirs will have to agree to his suggested reserve prices before going to auction but it gives the seller the option to decline it. His fee structure is the same as he charges for in-store consignments.

I've contacted other sellers. Most charge a flat 20% but then have add-ons like FFL, auction listing, photo etc fees. I don't mind paying the additional 5% for the first 500 to avoid any disputes or hidden fees.

Lesson I learned the hard way. Get proof of fire and theft insurance prior to leaving guns or any valuables with any seller. After my house fire the restoration company made arraignments with a gunsmith to disassemble and clean smoke residue off my guns. My collection was cherry picked in a theft. All I got was a bankruptcy notice from the uninsured gunsmith. Police said it was obviously an inside job but unable to prove it. The gunsmith and employee both refused a polygraph.

EOD3
05-10-2015, 12:40 AM
Given the amount of uninhabited desert in Arizona, I'd think you could work a trade with the insiders. Not a suggestion, just a thought...[smilie=1:

azrednek
05-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Given the amount of uninhabited desert in Arizona, I'd think you could work a trade with the insiders. Not a suggestion, just a thought...[smilie=1:

Believe me I thought about it. He moved out of state a few days after his day in court for the bankruptcy. I filed a suit against the restoration contractor but it didn't go anywhere.

Southern Son
05-11-2015, 06:55 AM
I have sold a few at a gun shop. The owner took them on a "consignment" basis. His profit was a persentage of the selling price, therefore, the more he sold them for, the more he made. In the end, we were both happy.

I tried this, the seller still ripped me.

I put a Remmington 700BDL in .300WinMag on consignment with a gunshop. It had a kevlar stock and a scope (not a great one).

They had it for several months, during which time I visited the shop several times. When I didn't see it on the shelf I asked, wondering if it had sold, and I got told that they didn't have room on the shelf for all of them, but they were trying to sell it. After several months, I got a transfer with work, and less than a week after I told everyone about the transfer, they tell me that they found a buyer, and gave me $630.00, after taking theire 10%.

One and a half months after I left the town, I went back to see some friends. I also went into the gunshop and there on the main rack, right in the middle, was my old rifle. I thought "whoever bought that didn't keep it for long." I asked to see it and confirmed that it was my old rifle, now worth $1380.00. This was curious, if they were selling it on consignment, it had nearly doubled in value, in less than two months. So I asked the shop attendant who didn't know me what was the rifle's story. He said that it belonged to one of the guys that worked in the shop, that he had owned it for years and hadn't used it for ages, so he wanted to sell it on consignment throught the shop.

I have not been back to that shop since, but I have told all the shooters that I know in the area about what had happened. Most of them tell me I am not the only one and that it is internet business that keeps them going. The owner of the gunshop and most of the staff were club mates in my old pistol club (before I got transfered). Some people from my old club have told me that other club members that are still at the club know of his business practices and the club is no longer the friendliest place at times.