PDA

View Full Version : What day is today!

Jevyod
05-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Anybody know what today, May 5 is?? Yea I know somebody will say Tuesday!

docone31
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Robert Harbingerdinger's birthday?

Roy Acuffff
05-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Yea, It's Dog day. This is the day my best friend goes to the vet. My dog Buttons...........................

Roy

Jevyod
05-05-2015, 08:55 AM
I mean on a national level!

Sweetpea
05-05-2015, 09:07 AM
You mean the anniversary of when the Mexicans beat the French?

It's not like the French are known for their tenacity...

oneokie
05-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

lefty o
05-05-2015, 09:14 AM
a fairly unimportant day in the US. i dont celebrate mexican holdays.

Multigunner
05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Cinco de Mayo. At least we don't have Frenchies on both borders.

Jevyod
05-05-2015, 09:34 AM
It is National Teacher Appreciation Day!!! I figure only we teachers know that!!!!

fryboy
05-05-2015, 09:34 AM
ummm my ex's birthday :P ( among other things ...)

smoked turkey
05-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Today is our 11 year old granddaughter's birthday. Grand she is for sure. Up until she came along we had just done boys with two sons and a grandson. A girl definitely changes things.

Gar
05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Shepard)Alan Shepard became the first American to travel into space on a sub-orbital flight.

Dale in Louisiana
05-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Yeah, the Germans have holidays for when they beat the French: Sontag, Montag, dienstag, Mittwoch...

dale in Louisiana

Mike in TX
05-05-2015, 10:37 AM
The start of Nurses Week, thank you

Rufus Krile
05-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Actually Cinco de Mayo celebrates the first time Mexican forces were not defeated by the French. Fought to a draw. Mexican forces did this well being led by Gen'l Zaragosa... born in what would become Goliad, TX. So, you see, it IS a proper Texas holiday and I certainly intend to celebrate it as such. Whiskey is indicated.

Cowboy_Dan
05-05-2015, 11:46 AM

It irks me a bit when people base their opinion of the French armed forces on their less than stellar preformance in WWII. Remeber that France hosted WWI, and that took more out the country than 20 years could solve. For a better picture of France's fighting ability, look at Napoleon I. To beat him, you either had to pit all the rest of Europe against him (Crimea), or completly destroy the countryside ahead of him so the soldiers could not locate food (Waterloo).

[End rant]

runfiverun
05-05-2015, 11:54 AM
it isn't even an event in mexico, they just make a foot note of the day they beat 14 French guy's [probably coming out of a saloon]

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-05-2015, 11:59 AM
To many American's, it's just another day to eat drink and be merry...like St. Patricks Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the 4th of July.

dakotashooter2
05-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Keep in mind the French also helped us out in a little skirmish back in 1778.

It irks me a bit when people base their opinion of the French armed forces on their less than stellar preformance in WWII. Remeber that France hosted WWI, and that took more out the country than 20 years could solve. For a better picture of France's fighting ability, look at Napoleon I. To beat him, you either had to pit all the rest of Europe against him (Crimea), or completly destroy the countryside ahead of him so the soldiers could not locate food (Waterloo).

[End rant]

Wayne Smith
05-05-2015, 12:57 PM
It's the anniversary of the Battle of Williamsburg, of the Pennensula Campaign.

Schrag4
05-05-2015, 01:00 PM
To many American's, it's just another day to eat drink and be merry...like St. Patricks Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the 4th of July.

I'm not big on the drinking, but I never pass up a chance to eat Tex-Mex. The wife banned tacos earlier this week because we just had them last week, but neither one of us remembered Cinco de Mayo. The law says we have to eat tacos today, at least that's what I'll claim [smilie=p:

Sweetpea
05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Teacher appreciation runs all summer long at my house...

Mtnfolk75
05-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Today is another fake holiday created by Budweiser to sell more Beer ......:kidding:

DaveyDug
05-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Today is my birthday. [smilie=p:

Thanks for making a thread about it! ;-)

Handloader109
05-05-2015, 04:55 PM

Happy Cinco de Mayo.....uh, Happy Birthday. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/customs/2%20drunk%20buddies.gif

Old Scribe
05-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Happy birthday Doug

Beerd
05-06-2015, 02:35 PM

the party invitations you sent out musta got lost in the mail :-(

osteodoc08
05-07-2015, 06:49 AM

I wouldn't lump Memorial Day and the 4th of July with those other "holidays"

sundog
05-07-2015, 07:02 AM
It is not the '4th of July', it is Independence Day. Independence Day is celebrated on July 4.

Col4570
05-07-2015, 03:51 PM
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9UkpewUtV1DUAABx3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWJ1c20 3BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1431056863/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2furbanlegends.about.com%2flibrary%2 fblrevocation_cleese.htm/RK=0/RS=yKiMNoZxLSCvxmRz92_9TRdNWqo-
This was John Cleese letter to America cancelling your independence. Quite funny and just a comedy.

Col4570
05-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I know we lost America fair and square,er but can we have it back.:wink:

square butte
05-07-2015, 05:03 PM
National Day of Prayer

dead dog
05-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Col4570 Yahoo says 403 forbidden when I go to that link.We must of lost free press already.

Col4570
05-08-2015, 02:27 AM
Col4570 Yahoo says 403 forbidden when I go to that link.We must of lost free press already.
Yes it is a bit of harmless fun that John Cleese cooked up.I tried to post it but got the same.Anyway for those who wish it can be read but not posted.It was written before the present Whitehouse occupant and is not a slur on anyone.it is Cleese being his nuttiest.

TXGunNut
05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
It's my brother's birthday and as good an excuse as any to celebrate the Mexican culture here in TX and elsewhere. He was in town and we toasted both events with some good tequila.

Artful
05-09-2015, 01:21 PM

try this https://starrgazr.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/john-cleeses-letter-to-america/

John Cleese’s “Letter to America”
15022008https://i1.wp.com/farm2.static.flickr.com/1375/892296303_7e109d03b4.jpgOriginally uploaded by Browserd (http://www.flickr.com/people/browserd/).

Dear Citizens of America,

In view of your failure to elect a competent President and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately.

Her Sovereign Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories (except Kansas, which she does not fancy), as from Monday next.

Your new prime minister, Gordon Brown, will appoint a governor for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up “revocation” in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up “aluminium,” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.

2. The letter ‘U’ will be reinstated in words such as ‘colour’, ‘favour’ and ‘neighbour.’ Likewise, you will learn to spell ‘doughnut’ without skipping half the letters, and the suffix “ize” will be replaced by the suffix “ise.”

3. You will learn that the suffix ‘burgh’ is pronounced ‘burra'; you may elect to spell Pittsburgh as ‘Pittsberg’ if you find you simply can’t cope with correct pronunciation.

4. Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels (look up “vocabulary”). Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as “like” and “you know” is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication.

5. There is no such thing as “US English.” We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter ‘u’ and the elimination of “-ize.”

6. You will relearn your original national anthem, “God Save The Queen”,
but only after fully carrying out Task #1 (see above).

7. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday. November 2nd will
be a new national holiday, but to be celebrated only in England. It will be called “Come-Uppance Day.”

8. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not adult enough to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults. If you’re not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist then you’re not grown up enough to handle a gun.

9. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

10. All American cars are hereby banned. They are **** and this is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

11. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric immediately and without the benefit of conversion tables… Both roundabouts and metrification will help you understand the British sense of humour.

12. The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling “gasoline”) – roughly $8/US per gallon. Get used to it.

13. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call french fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called “crisps.” Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with malt vinegar.

14. Waiters and waitresses will be trained to be more aggressive with customers.

15. The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as “beer,” and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as “Lager.” American brands will be referred to as “Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine,” so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

16. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors as English characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in “Four Weddings and a Funeral” was an experience akin to having one’s ear removed with a cheese grater.

17. You will cease playing American “football.” There is only one kind of proper football; you call it “soccer”. Those of you brave enough, in time, will be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American “football”, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a
bunch of Jessies – English slang for “Big Girls Blouse”).

18. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the “World Series” for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable and forgiven.

19. You must tell us who killed JFK. It’s been driving us mad.

20. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due, backdated to 1776.

Thank you for your co-operation.
John Cleese

thou the Snopes users will say it's not truely John's Letter
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/revocation.asp