PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me..or was this stupid?

RoyEllis
05-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Just saw an article on Boston bomber sentencing trial, defense called in 5 family members for "character witnesses" (at taxpayer expense no less) but one uncle was immediately sent back......he is on watch lists for being a known Chechen terrorist!
My question is- if you're trying to get clemency for your client, why bring a terrorist in to testify to "good character"?
If I were a trial lawyer I'd want to know details before I'd put names on the dog & pony show list so I wouldn't be sitting in court with egg all over my face from trotting in a disreputable witness. But that's JMHO.....

Epd230
05-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Sad truth is that the jury will never hear about that. The judge will keep that fact out of court.

willie_pete
05-04-2015, 09:46 PM
What is even more stupid is that I read the American taxpayer is paying for the trips and 19 FBI agents as bodyguards.

wp

leftiye
05-05-2015, 06:14 AM
So what possible value is it to have a terrorist as a character reference? Seems a lot of dummies are involved in that trial.

"I believe in blowing people up, and I can tell you that Ishmael is a swell guy with his heart in the right place who hates all infidels.

runfiverun
05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
and why would we send him....... back?

I'm 99% sure I wasted 10 years of my life and most of my body's joints now. [shaking my head]

white eagle
05-05-2015, 12:40 PM
just helps drive the nail deeper
sequestered they may be but it always seems to reach them