PDA

View Full Version : Gun wipeing cloth

trixter
05-04-2015, 01:11 PM
When I got my new rifle, It came with a really microfiber wiping cloth. As I used it it got some smudges of gun oil and such but still worked great for getting rid of fingerprints and dust. Well last Friday my housekeeper spotted it and tossed it in with the other stuff and it got washed. I am pretty sure it was impregnated with something when it was new, but I have no idea what. Even though it is clean id doesn't work as it used to. What should I put on/in it to bring it back to life?

Hardcast416taylor
05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Other than a trade secret that may have been on the cloth to start with, I`d put a good amount of Break Free on the cloth and keep the cloth in a zipper bag.Robert

Shiloh
05-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Who was the manufacturer?? Call 'em an tell what happened. Maybe you get a new one. We wash micro-fiber cloths all the time. they still grab dust and dry the auto after washing.

Shiloh

w5pv
05-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I use an old thick cloth that has everything from oil,bullet lube,wax and no telling what else,it stays on the reloading bench and I wipe my gun dies and tools with it no rust or fingerprints no dust on the items I wipe with it.Just a catch all rag.

gwpercle
05-04-2015, 04:49 PM
It was probably impregnated with silicone. Birchwood - Casey, Hoppe's and Midway gun cloth's are all treated with silicone. After washing just give it a spray with silicone , work it in evenly and you're good to go until the next time she washes it. This is what I do.

Feel free to try other stuff like CLP, or whatever. I've tried Marvel Mystery Oil, Rem Oil, PB Blaster Spray Lube...They all work but the silicon has the advantage of not being as oily.

Gary

captaint
05-06-2015, 11:19 AM
We wash microfiber cloths weekly at work. We have strict instructions NOT to use any kind of soap when washing. Believe it or not, they get clean and they don't stink. Makes no sense to me. They do get ink stained sometimes. We were told using soap will destroy the little fibers and they won't work right...... ????

trixter
05-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. captaint; thanks for your suggestion of no soap. I'll see if I can communicate that to my housekeeper.

Toymaker
05-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Drawer Ease, Slip Spray, Silicone Spray - some of the commercial brands around here that I've used. They've all worked well. But the best I've ever found is called Tri Flo. It's available from bicycle stores. They use it to lubricate the chains. It comes in a liquid and a spray. A light coat on your micro cloth and keep it in a zip-lock bag.

gwpercle
05-06-2015, 01:33 PM
What's a housekeeper, is that like a wife without benefits ?

Artful
05-06-2015, 01:42 PM

Which Benefits?

country gent
05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I have some flannel wiping clothe we made years ago. A simple square of flannel the wife hemmed to keep from fraying. A light spray of silicone and stored in ziplock bags to keep clean and safe. One thing with them is to impregnate with silicone or oil of choice then let sit a few days to week to allow for coating to impregnate thru cloth evenly. I gave the light spray of silicone waded up several times and folded up to fit in bag. After a few days the coating will be fairly even thru the wiping cloth. Used to do this with a piece of sheeps wool and rig grease also.

Beerd
05-06-2015, 02:40 PM

house keeper = ex wife

kungfustyle
05-06-2015, 03:02 PM
house keeper = ex wife
Schwarzeneggergot his x because of the housekeeper.

trixter
05-06-2015, 03:12 PM
You guys are way too funny.

Joe504
05-06-2015, 03:17 PM
My wife has lots of benefits. She gets to go shopping, spending time with her friends, going to the park with the dog.

w5pv
05-06-2015, 03:50 PM
I have to remind my wife ever so often there is always one that would be glad to take her place.Just joking we have had 50 + good years together.

Bad Water Bill
05-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Ain't nothing better than a "RIG RAG".

Still have the one I bought 40 years ago and never any rust.

And this in an area with almost 100 tropical fish tanks.