PDA

View Full Version : Remington 250 gr. 452 boolits

Tenbender
05-03-2015, 07:14 PM
I have a couple thousand Remington 250 gr. RNFP boolits. They shoot great in a handgun . My question. They have a concave base and I want to use them in a carbine. They are 18 bhn. I don't understand the purpose of the concave base. Will a carbine load be too much as I want to push them 1300 - 1400 fps. ( Typo 454 boolit )

Litl Red 3991
05-04-2015, 07:33 AM
The Western Powder data shows loads for 45LC loads with 250gr boolits hitting up to 1500fps. The data says they used a pressure limit for rifle loads of 30,000psi but the loads they list go to 29,000 and run around 1200 to 1500 fps.

Lee's hardness to pressure chart shows 18bhn bullets work best up to around 23000 to 25,400psi.

All those numbers point toward 21 bhn being what's needed for the speeds you're wanting.T

hat suggests maybe those bullets of yours aren't exactly hard enough. And the concave base may or may not contribute to leading if overpowered. So the answer is, "the latest 'science' says no" but personally, I'd say, "too close to call".

Guess you ought to load up 10 or 20 and test. The "physics" ain't always right.

runfiverun
05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I'd say they were waaay too hard.
but you should have no problems, getting them to do what you want.

bhn22
05-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Load 'em up and try it. Start with your normal 45 Colt load, then work up to where you want to be. Concave bases aren't as fragile as hollowbases are. Do be careful though...

Blackwater
05-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I haven't done this, but in my experience, factory lead .45 LC bullets don't have the very best lube, nor enough of it, for trips down long carbine barrels, so that would be my main concern. I've seen some buddy's guns lead toward the muzzle due to inadequate lube with that type bullet. If it were me though, due to my frugal Scots ancestry and genes, and because I'll shoot most anything if it's free, I'd shoot them, so my first efforts would be with a slower powder, like 2400 or similar, which might minimize chances of leading, and I think I'd put some LLA or equivalent on them before loading to try to assist the lube already on them, and get them down the carbine length barrel without leading. Just a guess, but that's what I think I'd likely do.

Tenbender
05-04-2015, 05:11 PM
I haven't done this, but in my experience, factory lead .45 LC bullets don't have the very best lube, nor enough of it, for trips down long carbine barrels, so that would be my main concern. I've seen some buddy's guns lead toward the muzzle due to inadequate lube with that type bullet. If it were me though, due to my frugal Scots ancestry and genes, and because I'll shoot most anything if it's free, I'd shoot them, so my first efforts would be with a slower powder, like 2400 or similar, which might minimize chances of leading, and I think I'd put some LLA or equivalent on them before loading to try to assist the lube already on them, and get them down the carbine length barrel without leading. Just a guess, but that's what I think I'd likely do.

Check this lube on these Remington 454's

Blackwater
05-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes, and that's exactly what put lead in my buddies' barrels. It's not always how MUCH lube, but what its qualities are, and how well it does its job. Less than stellar lubes let a barrel lead up, and that affects accuracy and consistency, among other things.

PB234
05-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I think this is what I used to run in a Webley with a light load of Unique. Buffalo Arms used to sell them suggesting they would work in a Webley and they were very right.