PDA

View Full Version : Target Nitro Venom .177

jh45gun
05-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Thttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/IMAG0159.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jh45gun/media/IMAG0159.jpg.html)

25 yards 5 Shot group. 4 in one ragged hole and one a tad low. Stock trigger stock gun. Crosman 10.5 gr. domed pellets. (They can shoot accurately). This rifle has about 50 pellets through it. It has shot well right out of the box.

gloob
05-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Well, darn. I am going to have to go back to the range with a chair and a bag. That's some nice shooting.

jh45gun
05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
I figure that gun shooting 3;inches should have been sent back. Of course if you try to fix it yourself there goes the warranty. I did a lot of research before I bought my Nitro Venom. The positive reports well out numbered any negative ones. Any company can make a bad one. However that is what Customer Service and warranty is all about.

gloob
05-07-2015, 03:48 AM
So I've got to ask... How's the lockup on your barrel? I'm getting pretty good groups, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could shoot a similar group with my rifle, even if I couldn't. But it bothers me that my barrel shifts down a tiny bit if I press hard enough on it, say 10-15 lbs at the muzzle. It moves back up to place with less force and stays there, so it seems to me the live jam is pressing like it should and putting some pressure on things. But there's a bit of softer play there before the live jam completely locks the barrel, stone cold, to where you have to smack the barrel to break it open.

This doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy, but I don't like it. I think it might be stemming from the pivot screw being slightly undersized in diameter. I am curious if this might be normal or even expected in a break barrel?

jh45gun
05-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Don't know for sure my barrel seems pretty tight. I have read some droop is normal in break barrels and some of the German ones have a fair amount of droop. I don't really notice it in my Nitro Venom.

gloob
05-08-2015, 02:59 AM
Thanks. The barrel is still all the way up after each shot as far as I can tell. I guess I'll stop worrying about it.

jh45gun
05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Yea sometimes I think we get too much info on the net and most of the time it don't apply to our stuff anyway. .Or some folks I think post negative **** on products just to stir the pot. I think some keyboard commandos do that just to satisfy their twisted little brains. I have bought stuff that had negative reviews and never had issues with any of the products. Some negative reviews are legit, but I think some are folks messing with folks. .

gloob
05-08-2015, 10:37 PM
I am sure some need work. Mine did, for sure. It wasn't as bad as some, but it definitely wasn't good.

I run my own business and I know that as a seller, quality control is often more expensive and time-consuming that simply selling stuff at a lower cost and expectation and replacing the ones that are returned. Simple math.

As a buyer, I am also aware that it is often easier to fix something myself than to send something back, in the first place. And I will not fault the seller for it if I choose to do that, myself, because that was easier. Voiding a warranty? Same as breathing to me.

I just got done shooting the little bulbs out of a string of Christmas lights at 10 yards, and I can't miss a 9mm case at that distance. I focused the objective and set my zero for 10 yards, so I'm ready for the next time I find the roof rat, rattus rattus, that I saw climbing a tree onto my roof the other day.

I loosened the pivot bolt a bit to where the cocked, unlocked barrel will sag just a little under gravity, following the recommendation of some dude with lots o German springers. This is supposed to reduce wear on the washers and make your POA stay consistent for longer. I happened to notice that my JSB Diabolo Match pellets are shooting to the same POA, now, as my Premiers. Out of the box, I couldn't shoot these pellets interchangeably. I'm not sure specifically what it is I did that made this happen, but the gun is just getting better with age and tinkering.

I am also burning through a lot more ammo with my ammo holder mod. I'm not sure I would have done that to an expensive walnut stock, so I guess I like the cheap beech stock on the Venom just fine. :)

gloob
05-13-2015, 01:47 AM
I just shot a couple 5 shot groups with my Venom at 10 yards, from a fairly stable makeshift seated position.

First group was a single ragged 1/4" hole. After making some scope adjustments, my next two shots were what I think were flyers (seems like my scope needs to settle in after adjustments), before the final 3 shots settled into a ragged cluster in the center of the bulls.

Mind you, my sight picture was very much less stable than w/e those guys filming their shots from a proper bench are showing. My hairs are easily moving around ~ 1/3 an inch at that distance every time my heart beats, and waving around up to 1/2" left and right, overall. So for me, I think the gun is shooting just fine. The 1/4" group was a minor miracle.

jh45gun
07-09-2015, 01:23 AM
I am very satisfied with the accuracy of my Venom and the scope that came with it.

Papa smurf
07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
jh45gun--------Papa Smurf here , I haven't posted here for some time . Gave up shooting most powder burners since I screwed up my shoulder. Got into air rifles a while back , mainly Crosman products . Cant beat the products , on my income , and there service and warranty is tops . Got a .22cal Nitro Venom two years ago , It now has over 12000 pellets thru it (yes that's three zeros) and off the bench I still get one ragged hole at 10 meters . I did replace the scope , only because I don't like the mil dot scopes . I hope you have as good a luck with your Venom as I have had with mine .------------------Good Shooting to you my friend--------------John ---AKA---Papa smurf

jcwit
07-09-2015, 05:16 PM
Simple question here. Anyone know what the difference is between the Crosman Nitro Venom & a Crosman Vantage with a Nitro Piston.

Other than cost of course.

Both available with a wood stock and both available in .177, & both claim 1200 FPS.

Papa smurf
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM
As I understand it they have the same "power plant "with differnent stock , barrel , and the way of mounting the scope . I have both . The Vantage is a .177 and it is coming to be as accurate as the Venom . There both are a little hard to cock . The Vantage. is much quitter.-----Good Shooting too you-------------John---AKA --Papa smurf

jcwit
07-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. Looks like I'll be acquiring a Vantage. Another one for the pile.

gloob
07-09-2015, 06:49 PM
The Venom has a picatinny rail that appears to be brazed onto the receiver and no open sights. A pic rail is gooder in that you don't need a scope stop.

The Venom is also packaged with a better scope. (The Vantage can be had with or without.) The Centerpoint 3-9 x 32mm that comes with the Venom is a very decent scope, and even though it is not advertised, it has AO. The scope's objective end cap screws off, easily, and the front of the lens carrier protrudes. The carrier easily screws in/out with no wiggle. You can actually shoot it with the front cap removed. The packaged Centerpoint and rings have given me no issues holding zero or staying put.

One good thing about Crosman rifles is that Crosman will sell you spare parts. But they don't have particularly good triggers, IMO.

FWIW, my Venom's pic rail is crooked and the grip is so thick it feels like holding a medieval crossbow.

jcwit
07-09-2015, 07:10 PM
I can get the Vantage without the scope for a $20 dollar savings and put a much better scope on it as I'm going to do the same to my Air Hawk. Somehow a scope coming with a rifle for an extra $20 bucks does not sound like much of a value.

I like to save cash as much as the next guy, but a $20 dollar scope?????????????????

gloob
07-10-2015, 12:51 AM
I take those scope deals wherever I can, if the scope is halfway decent. Centerpoint scopes are decent. Never know when I might buy a $30.00 rifle to play with. Where can you get a 4x Centerpoint scope and rings for $20.00 shipped? Nowhere.

A CP 4x beats iron sights in my book. Until I have more scopes than guns, it is worth it for me.

Don't u have a $50.00 refurnished AirHawk that shoots 1/2" 8 yard groups? Something like that might be a good candidate.

jcwit
07-10-2015, 01:56 AM
I take those scope deals wherever I can, if the scope is halfway decent. Centerpoint scopes are decent. Never know when I might buy a $30.00 rifle to play with. Where can you get a 4x Centerpoint scope and rings for $20.00 shipped? Nowhere.

A CP 4x beats iron sights in my book. Until I have more scopes than guns, it is worth it for me.

Don't u have a $50.00 refurnished AirHawk that shoots 1/2" 8 yard groups? Something like that might be a good candidate.

That I do, and a $80 scope is going on it. I don't have more scopes than guns, but then my military collection doesn't get scopes. Take them out of the equation and yes I have more scopes than guns, the gun number in the hundreds nd the scopes are close behind, I should add the handguns also usually do not get scopes, however the target pistols get either a scope or a dot.

Remember, I've been at this hobby now and collecting for 60 some years, got my first air gun at 5 or 6, got my first .22 at 8, that would have been in 1950.

jcwit
07-10-2015, 02:00 AM
BTW, shot my best group yet with that Air Hawk, 5 shots, .098 center to center, open sights. Did it once, been trying to do it again!

jcwit
07-10-2015, 05:03 PM
One more note about the Vantage, I see it's now available at Amazon with Free Shipping for $94.60, complete with scope. That brings the cost of the scope down to $4.61.

Can see taking it off upon arrival before the Vantage gets a chance to destroy it. Probably would be good for some .22 down the road, or for my wife to sell at auction.