PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP Brass with huge flash holes?

carrytheload
05-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I have been casting and loading .45 ACP since December (Lee TL452-200-SWC double mold). Most of the brass I use (and reuse) is pickups from the range. I have found some Winchester brand brass that has flash holes much larger than most of the other Winchester brass (which have the same size flash hole as all other brands). These are all large primer pocket cases. Has anyone seen this before or did I find some that had been "user" modified?

I am keeping these separate for now, I have found around 30 of them.

Thanks for any insights!

Bernie

jcren
05-02-2015, 10:07 AM
I am going with user modified. Loaded lots of 45 and never seen a factory flash hole that big.

NC_JEFF
05-02-2015, 10:09 AM
There are some who use plastic bullets that are driven with primers and no powder. I have never seen this done at a shooting range but the enlarged flash hole is indicative of someone using this brass in their revolver for plastic bullets/pellets.

texassako
05-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I have not seen one personally, but don't the new green, lead free primers use a bigger flash hole?

Freightman
05-02-2015, 10:11 AM
I do that to shoot hot glue boolits primer only. Have fun cast some hot glue boolits and shoot them.

runfiverun
05-02-2015, 10:13 AM
this isn't all that uncommon.
I'm fairly certain that these are for the 'green' as in no lead primers.
previously they were using small primers because they were having difficulty with getting the large ones to work just right.
I'm pretty sure the larger flash hole is their work around.
with the low pressure the acp generates [lower than a 22 lr] the larger hole should not pose a problem.

Blackwater
05-02-2015, 11:20 AM
I'd save those cases and keep them separate from your other std. flash hole brass. The larger flash hole is user modified, usually with a 3/32" or slightly larger drill bit to keep the primers from backing out when used with wax, plastic or hot glue bullets, which are often used for quick draw practice so one can't as easily put holes in one's leg, knee, butt or other sensitive body parts. They are sometimes used for closer range practice, or anywhere one might want to avoid personal injury to the highest degree possible, and still be shooting.

I don't know much about the "green" ammo. Was given some .40 S&W but haven't fired a round of it yet. I understand the "green" primers deteriorate, so maybe I ought to. Gave my DIL a Kel Tec .40 so maybe I ought to give them to her to shoot ASAP now? I load that cal. just for her.

Pepe Ray
05-02-2015, 11:28 AM
How they got enlarged is not important.
Keep them segregated.-
or dedicate them for a specific usage. At best they will cause variation in your loads and results in confusion.
Pepe Ray

carrytheload
05-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all of the great answers. I was familiar with shooting plastic/wax bullets from .45 Colt or such for cowboy fast draw but I had not seen anyone doing it out of an auto (hand cycling of course). I will seek out how to make the hot glue bullets cause that sounds fun!
Thanks, Bernie

CT-shooter777
05-02-2015, 01:33 PM
I have been casting and loading .45 ACP since December (Lee TL452-200-SWC double mold). Most of the brass I use (and reuse) is pickups from the range. I have found some Winchester brand brass that has flash holes much larger than most of the other Winchester brass (which have the same size flash hole as all other brands). These are all large primer pocket cases. Has anyone seen this before or did I find some that had been "user" modified?

I am keeping these separate for now, I have found around 30 of them.

Thanks for any insights!

Bernie

Great question, I have wondered the same thing, but given the answers regarding pressure, particularity in cast load velocity, I figured just load them.

Good to know.

mold maker
05-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Not saying that there aren't user mods, but winchester produced large and small flash holes as well as large and small primed cases. I have found all four in factory loaded brass.
I have never seen them (L flash holes) in anything but W 45 ACP.
As others have stated, 45 ACP is a low pressure round, and shouldn't cause any problems. Keeping them segregated is a good idea, and as always, it's up to you, to use at your own risk.

owejia
05-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Had some with the oversize flash holes that had the word Blank headstamped on them, I always thought they were for dog trainers to get the bird dogs used to noise when they flushed the birds.

blikseme300
05-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Another PITA to deal with because of the "greenies". The SPP brass is easy enough to spot but different size flash holes depriming must be done as a separate step prior to reloading. So much for using a progressive press for 45ACP.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Shooters who load wax bullets for indoor use as well as plastic bullets are advised to drill out the diameters of flash holes and keep those cases segregated so that they are not used for regular loading. This was done in 38 special as well. LLS

Walter Laich
05-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Re-enactors will do this for their blanks.
FWIW, I have had some of them sneak into my standard brass and couldn't tell the difference but I do separate them when I run across them.
YMMV

JWT
05-02-2015, 09:33 PM
I have 19 Winchester cases from the last batch of 45acp I processed. Since these are only turning up on Winchester brass and there are still some flash hole burs inside the case I'm thinking it's a factory thing. I'm thinking of scrapping them. It's just not enough to keep track of.

ioon44
05-03-2015, 09:32 AM
I have found that regular primers measure 0.080" and the green measure 0.100" and I haven't found and difference in chrono data or accuracy.

I have found the 3/32" drilled out brass in range brass and always wondered why some would do this, now I know.

I pitch them in the scrap brass bucket, PITA to watch for them.

Dan Cash
05-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Some of the Winchester ammo was supposed to be "Lead Free" and the brass had great flash holes. I first saw this about 1999-2000 when shooting a lot of IPSC. Ammo loaded with this brass and standard powdeer charges performs the same as other .45 ACP with small flash holes. If you were hot rodding the .45 ACP, it might make a difference but not for standard loads.

Cherokee
05-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Size, prime, load, shoot...repeat, with large or small flash holes for large primers. I make no separation and can't tell the difference. Now, the small primer cases are separated and accumulated.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Agree with theWinchester 'Lead-Free' primer faction. Little difference in 'standard loads used at 25yards or less.

rondog
05-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Size, prime, load, shoot...repeat, with large or small flash holes for large primers. I make no separation and can't tell the difference. Now, the small primer cases are separated and accumulated.

Same here.

MtGun44
05-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Lead free primers are weak, need big flash hole. That is from the factory.

Yes, folks do modify them for all the reasons stated, but now some come from
the factory that way. I have been told that they raise pressures so not to use
them for max loads. Have not verified this part.

Bill

TXGunNut
05-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Guess I'll never know, my 45's get loaded on a Dillon so I don't see them. The SP cases are a PITA, seems one always slips thru my careful screening process. Blame it on the bifocals, lol.

BAGTIC
05-10-2015, 07:30 PM
I believe Starline recommends that cases with oversize flash holes not be used with real bullets. Many large hole cases have been made for use in loading blanks, only.

dudel
05-11-2015, 09:32 AM
I have not seen one personally, but don't the new green, lead free primers use a bigger flash hole?

Yes, but the ones I've seen have a different headstamp. They normally have an "NT" on the casehead.

My bet is that the brass was opened up for rubber bullets shot with primer only. The opened up flash hole keeps the primers from backing out. Save the brass, and use them with this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/489581/x-ring-rubber-bullets-45-caliber-451-to-452-diameter-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding They also come in different calibers.

I keep that brass separate from regular reloading brass.

BD
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Never been an issue for me. And, it's unlikely I would ever know as every .45 acp round I load is loaded on a progressive press.
Spent primer is pressed out, new primer is pressed in, I never see the flash hole. All of my .45 acp brass has either been purchased by me, given to me from military ranges, or picked up after my stage at a match. Not much chance that blanks or wax boolits were used in those scenarios. All of the NT brass I've found is small primer. THAT is a PITA.