PDA

View Full Version : Asking for prayers, and still learning...

possom813
05-02-2015, 05:31 AM
I feel a little silly asking for prayers that don't involve an immediate need for family and friends. But right now I need all the help I can get with folks putting in a good word :grin:

Both of my children are disabled, according to their doctors(don't tell the kids that). They've both been had s.s.i. benefits for the last few years. Not a great amount, but enough to help with bills so my wife could stay home and take care of them and their doctors' appointments.

About two months ago, we received a letter that their benefits were being cancelled. The initial shock of the news was bad, but quickly subsided. The wife has been wanting to go back to work part-time anyways, and was afraid it would kill the checks that they received. She's now able to go back to work at the nursing home taking care of the elderly(she has a passion for that, I couldn't do it).

We've filed an appeal for both children at the recommendation of our caseworker. My oldest daughter has a growing rod in her back and has mandatory surgery every 10-12 months. She'll never be able to touch her toes, or play in a bounce house or jump on a trampoline. I feel that there is a decent chance of her benefits coming back, namely for the surgery cost. My insurance only covers 80% and I don't know what else I'd have to come up with.

Luckily, that's covered. We spoke to Scottish Rite(darn fine hospital) and their billing department told us that as long as we're under the 45k per year threshold, they'll bill insurance what they can, and donations will cover the rest.

But then, as luck would have it, I talked to the prisons about a lot in the mobile home park and just happened to be in the right place at the right time and signed the contract on a lot on prison property for $35 per month with the water and trash included(the prison has its own water, sewer, and trash facility on-site).

So awesome, I lucked out and moving into a single wide mobile home and then renting out our house that's 50 miles away will save us a substantial amount of money each month. A heckuva deal for us, honestly.

All goes back to the never closing a door without opening a window and Corinthians 10:13.

So the wife wants to go back to work to help the elderly, so the kids s.s.i. is cancelled

Both of us are worried sick about the cost of the surgeries, donations cover it because we're under the threshold

Income drops with no s.s.i. checks for the kids, wife want to go back to work anyways, sign the contract for a mobile home lot that will save us several hundred dollars each month

Everything seems to be going pretty good at this junction.

But the prayers, my wife's credit is terrible. My credit is fair-good, according to credit karma. My debt:income ratio is decent at 21%.

We filled out a credit app today for a new mobile home(kind of essential for the lot) and hoping everything goes through. The salesman said the only issue would be the 2 year job history because I took 18 months off for school, but went right back to the same job that I've been doing since 2009.

So I've been praying about it all day, and could just use a couple of good words put in hoping that it all works out and we can get the new home. Otherwise, I'll be stuck here another few months until I can get our savings up to the 35k threshold and just pay cash for the darn thing.

And as for the learning part, I've claimed for years to have read the bible, but never did much more than skim it for key points. I finally started reading it, in depth the last few weeks and some things are actually starting to make sense.

Granted, I'm still a far cry from going to church every Sunday. I've had a couple of bad experiences with churches and pastors that have new luxury cars every few months when their only job is at the church.

I read the book of John the other night. I retained a good bit, but feel like I need to read it again to understand more of it. I made it through part of Luke(I believe was the other chapter that I started, haven't finished it yet).

Both chapters mention Peter(I believe), denying Jesus 3 times before the rooster crowed. I read that part several times and for some reason it keeps coming back to me about the rooster crowing. Why is the rooster significant, or is it not? I understand that Jesus was denied because Peter was afraid of being associated with Jesus, but why was he afraid?

Anyways, prayers for now, and more questions soon, I'm sure.

Grits
05-02-2015, 06:28 AM
The rooster was the time keeper and Jesus knew when that cock would crow. He also knew that Peter would deny him. Peter was trying to follow but the flesh is weak.

Jesus restored Peter. Do you love me? Jesus asked this question three times of Peter. Christ told him "feed my sheep."

Go and read Acts Chapter 1&2. When Peter received the Holy Spirit he walked in power. Peter told the lame man "silver and gold I do not have, but in the name of the Holy Spirit get up and walk. "

Prayer works. James chapter 5 tells us so.

Lastly the Church is not a building but the body of believers. When two or more are gathered in his name he is in the midst of them. Even this is church.

Wayne Smith
05-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Jesus was at that time in the power of those who would kill him. He had predicted this would happen, none of the disciples accepted it. Peter was in the courtyard of the enemy, was afraid he would be arrested, and Jesus had just told him that Satan had requested that he (plural in the greek, including all the deciples) be sifted. He was on unfamiliar ground, was challenged, and denied three times just as (1) Jesus had predicted and (2) OT prophesy had suggested. As soon as the cock crowed Jesus looked at him and it came home to him what he had done. I think that this was the moment when it all fell into place in his mind, that this is when he began to understand that Jesus had to die. I don't think his mind got to the Resurrection at that time, he was suprised at the empty tomb initially. This moment set it up for him to understand the Resurrection when he discovered it.

w5pv
05-03-2015, 06:20 PM
If your daughter is under the age of eighteen the Scottishrite Hospital should take her at no expense to you.That is what they are for is to help.Prayers for you and family that all willl be ok in the end,

USMC87
05-04-2015, 07:48 AM
I will be praying for your family.

Mooseman
05-04-2015, 09:29 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you John.
Rich

Preacher Jim
05-04-2015, 12:47 PM
my prayers for the grace of our Lord to be pored out upon you and your family. remember the closer you are to the Lord the more you have His help