PDA

View Full Version : Why we bow

archmaker
05-01-2015, 12:25 PM
An old monk asked his students why they bow when they come into the temple, they gave all sorts of reasons (to show respect to temple, to show respect to our elders, to prepare for study, etc) but the old monk simply said "We found out that when we bow first things just seem to work better".

I am not saying this board is a temple, :) but I think if we all would at least mental bow before posting or replying to thread that 'things would just seem to work better'.

I would also like to say a thank you to our moderators, having been on various boards for decades (I go back to BBS) this is one place that I can relax and enjoy the fellowship of like minded individuals.

JCherry
05-01-2015, 02:50 PM
With all due respect to your intent I would suggest a salute.

Americans don't and should not bow.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Didn`t we defeat those that bow back in `45?Robert

dtknowles
05-01-2015, 04:31 PM
With all due respect to your intent I would suggest a salute.

Americans don't and should not bow.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Bow, salute, genuflect, the difference is?

What or who do I salute, I have not saluted since I was a Cub Scout unless you are talking about my hand over my heart?

Tim

HarryT
05-01-2015, 05:03 PM
We have a few members who would prefer to curtsey (I'm talking about the ladies not you dudes that shoot 9mm).

sparky45
05-01-2015, 05:13 PM
You miss out on Military Service? Probably the most patriotic thing I have ever done.

Bow, salute, genuflect, the difference is?

What or who do I salute, I have not saluted since I was a Cub Scout unless you are talking about my hand over my heart?

Tim

dtknowles
05-01-2015, 05:33 PM
You miss out on Military Service? Probably the most patriotic thing I have ever done.

I turned 18 in 1976, just had ended the draft a few years earlier and the Military was not popular a that time. I was not big on uniforms, I did not join the Boy Scouts after Cub Scouts.

Tim

jcwit
05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
I salute folks all the time, Active Duty, Vets, Friends and those who do me a favor, have done it for years, 50 in fact.

And here is a Salute to all those here who I respect!

ammohead
05-01-2015, 06:11 PM

dtknowles, +1

I turned 18 in 1973. To say that military service was not a popular option would be the understatement of a millennia. We all grew up watching the Viet Nam war on the nightly news. After the draft was halted the only people who enlisted were in trouble with the law! Not real good company. Since Reagan the military is a whole new game and a terrific opportunity for those who make the cut. Going in because you are good enough and have something to offer is a whole lot different than enlisting to stay out of jail. What a difference a good President can make.

GL49
05-01-2015, 09:05 PM
We have a few members who would prefer to curtsey (I'm talking about the ladies not you dudes that shoot 9mm).

Thanks for the laugh. I'm gonna post this at the police range portion of the gun club, maybe I'll find more .45 brass instead of 9mm.

Wayne Smith
05-01-2015, 09:08 PM
I was 1A draft #2! I was in Northern Virginia Community College and hied over to Georgetown Univ. to join their ROTC unit. Did two years in one, in the spring of that year Congress ended the draft. I walked even though I had and have great respect for the first Sgt. of the program at that time. This was the time in history when officers were getting fraged by their own men in their bunks. Drug abuse was rampant in the USArmy. It was not a place I had any desire to join. A lot has changed since then. The Army worked hard to reform itself, and succeeded. It wasn't just Regan, he inherited an Army that was getting back on it's feet.

Bzcraig
05-01-2015, 09:43 PM
dtknowles, +1

I turned 18 in 1973. To say that military service was not a popular option would be the understatement of a millennia. We all grew up watching the Viet Nam war on the nightly news. After the draft was halted the only people who enlisted were in trouble with the law! Not real good company. Since Reagan the military is a whole new game and a terrific opportunity for those who make the cut. Going in because you are good enough and have something to offer is a whole lot different than enlisting to stay out of jail.

Though I think I understand the spirit of what you have said, I still take great exception to it. I served from 1973-1979, during that time I did not cross paths with a single person who enlisted because they were in trouble with the law. On behalf of very veteran who served their country honorably, on this site or not, you have spoken out of turn and offended 10's of thousands. I don't know if you served or not, but if you did not along with Wayne Smith, since you have not 'been there & done that or gotten the t-shirt' please preface your posts with "I suspect, I've heard' or something else to let the readers know you are not speaking from experience or knowledge.

willie_pete
05-01-2015, 10:01 PM
+1

Served 1970-1994, active and reserve, volunteered for SEA; not because I was on my way to jail.

wp

Fishman
05-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Please, not another whizzing match over who served and who didn't and who's more patriotic, etc. It diminishes us all.

dtknowles
05-01-2015, 10:21 PM
I will admit, I made what could be considered the "Popular Choice" of the time. The space program's recruiting was way more convincing than the AirForce recruiting. You could say it was even a little politically correct. I was young, I believe I made the right choice but I do wonder how independent was my decision. Some times we get played but that does not mean we were taken.

Tim

xs11jack
05-01-2015, 10:22 PM
I am like our flag, I will bow to no one.
Ole Jack

waksupi
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Lots of people have forgotten how to bow to a lady, or tip a hat.

JCherry
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Air Force 73 - 77, volunteered, not to avoid jail.

Have Fun,

JCherry

archmaker
05-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Maybe I should just remove the post.

MaryB
05-01-2015, 11:28 PM
If I curtsey who is picking me up off the floor after my low back pops? :kidding: no bowing either, when I do it feels like my head might fall off!

gmsharps
05-02-2015, 12:27 AM
I served from 1969-1991 voluntarily not forced to. Even though my draft number would have required me to if I had not joined. I stayed in after my first enlistment voluntarily because I needed a job and the military was a good place to be. I did see some drug issues but today is worse than then. We had discipline those days not so much today. saw a few folks that had a choice of going in the military or go to jail but most of what I saw those folks just needed a course and leadership to get them there. Not saying all of them made it but the ones I was involved with did.

gmsharps

Col4570
05-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Its "High Fives"now or a good strong "Handshake"For civilians,a "Hug and a Kiss on each Cheek" for Showbiz folks."Fists for Rappers etc","A kiss of Death"for the Mob.To me a good well done Salute by the Military shows respect and discipline.

leadman
05-02-2015, 02:27 AM
I thought I was ok since I weathered my 18th year (1970) without getting my number called up, but they held some numbers over to the next year. My number was up. I took another year in the Army to get a delayed entry and the school I wanted.
Served 1971 to 1974, then 2 years in the National Guard.
I did see a few that were in trouble and enlisted, also alot of pot use in Korea. Cost $5 to buy a grocery sack full! Not my thing though.
I don't bow or salute, but will hold a door for another.

dlbarr
05-02-2015, 04:21 AM
dtknowles, +1

I turned 18 in 1973. To say that military service was not a popular option would be the understatement of a millennia. We all grew up watching the Viet Nam war on the nightly news. After the draft was halted the only people who enlisted were in trouble with the law! Not real good company. Since Reagan the military is a whole new game and a terrific opportunity for those who make the cut. Going in because you are good enough and have something to offer is a whole lot different than enlisting to stay out of jail. What a difference a good President can make.

ammohead, you & I were born in the same year. It is interesting to note that there are a couple names on the Wall that share our birth year as well. They lost their lives in the last battle of the war. I certainly do not know their intent for enlisting, but would be hesitant to suggest that they were running from the law. Regardless, they did pay the supreme sacrifice.

leeggen
05-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Does it matter that some joined when in trouble with the law? Those I new done thier job as I did mine and some died as did the ones that just joined. We were members of one of the largest and eleet groups in the world. We stood tall and saluted with respect to the Flag and our supiriors. We each done our job as choosen.
Even today when in the position I salute that great flag.
CD

leeggen
05-02-2015, 06:31 AM
sorry Archmaker, you are correct in that we forget to bow to the ladies in some cases. It is now a hug instead or a hand shake for the men. I still hold doors and let the lady set first before me, Some of us military get it mixed up in civilian life. Thanks for the reminder as to respect of others.
CD

Kent Fowler
05-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Didn`t we defeat those that bow back in `45?

Obama either forgot that or, more possibly, doesn't know anything about WW2. Guess they don't teach American history in Indonesia or what ever muslim school he went to.
That being said, he gave a pretty good bow to that Arab jefe when he went to Saudi. One of the more major embarassments for America since he has occupied the office of President. Surprised he didn't get on his knees and beg forgiveness for going to a "Christian church" if thats what you can call Jeremiah Wrights den of hate.

fatnhappy
05-02-2015, 08:07 PM
http://thinkingrightblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/obama-bows.jpg

I'll pass on the bowing.

leftiye
05-03-2015, 06:11 AM
Iz ta not bump haid on door frame. Bow to be friendly and polite, not fer nothin' else.

captaint
05-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Wayne Smith - I also attended NOVA in 1969. Thought I would take a semester off - whoops, got drafted. Anyway, LOTS of the guys I served with were there to avoid jail - lots.. I vote for salute, by the way. Just doesn't seem right to bow ??