PDA

View Full Version : Blueing remover

oldarkie
05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
What is the best and easiest way to remove blueing. Thanks Oldarkie

waksupi
05-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Try brushing on muriatic acid. Works on heat blue, and I suspect it will work good on other blues.

Vann
05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Just about any rust remover will it take off.

oldred
05-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I would suggest Phosphoric acid or any of the Phosphoric acid based rust removers as they will instantly remove bluing but will not attack the metal like strong acids such as Sulfuric or Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid. In fact Phosphoric acid will leave the surface rust resistant while the other acids will require neutralizing with a base such as Soda/water solutions or at least a VERY vigorous and thorough cleaning to prevent corrosion after the blue is removed.

If the metal is to be rust blued later then a light sanding to remove the rust resistant Phosphate coating left by the Phosphoric acid will be required before applying the rusting solution but then sanding is almost always required to prep the surface anyway, this Phosphate coating is very easily removed.

Metalshaper
05-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Evaporust ! get it at Harbor freight or other sources.. lay the part in a tank or trough and cover with the solution..
come back a couple hours later the bluing and any rust anywhere on the part will be gone ( and if not a quick rub with
steel wool and it for sure will be gone !!! ) no harm or etching to the metal will occur.. rinse clear with water and then
coat with an oil or sumn like that, if your gonna wait a bit..

ONLY attacks the oxide, not the base metal..Works Slick!!

Respect Alwats
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Nobade
05-01-2015, 08:46 PM
I always used that pink stuff - Naval Jelly. Sounds like it's the same thing as everybody else is recommending. Works well.

-Nobade

rbt50
05-01-2015, 08:51 PM
years ago when I use to reblue guns I used battery acids mixed with water. just make sure you dump the acid into the water and not the other way around.

Whiterabbit
05-01-2015, 11:07 PM
muriatic. way easier and faster and cleaner than naval jelly.

It also reacts with zinc. So when I can't find the screw I need I can buy a standard screw zinc coated, strip the zinc, then blue the screw. Works like a charm.

Hannibal
05-01-2015, 11:29 PM
muriatic. way easier and faster and cleaner than naval jelly.

It also reacts with zinc. So when I can't find the screw I need I can buy a standard screw zinc coated, strip the zinc, then blue the screw. Works like a charm.

That's a GREAT tip! I'm glad I read this thread !

MBTcustom
05-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I always used that pink stuff - Naval Jelly. Sounds like it's the same thing as everybody else is recommending. Works well.

-Nobade

That's what I use on the odd occasion. Usually, I just drawfile/sand/buff the surfaces I need the bluing off of.

Whiterabbit
05-02-2015, 02:06 AM
That's a GREAT tip! I'm glad I read this thread !

If you get enough muriatic and enough zinc (wheelweights anyone?) and enough immaturity, you can mix it in a bottle and put balloons over the mouth because the outgassing from the reaction is hydrogen.

Hot tip for any highschoolers reading this thread...

Lead Fred
05-02-2015, 02:20 AM
Sand Blaster, Ive never had a lick of bluing left when Im done

bedbugbilly
05-02-2015, 11:12 AM
plain old vinegar - have used it many times. Either disassemble and soak overnight or saturate paper towel in it and wrap he item. I use it to remove blueing from report C & B revolvers when "antiquing" them.

Boolit_Head
05-02-2015, 11:26 AM

-Nobade

Naval jelly is caustic and will eat stuff.

Evaporust is gentle and converts the rust to a carbon like layer. It's gentle and will only convert the rust. Bluing is a form of rust so it converts it.

mooman76
05-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I cleaned my Ml one day. Had heard of using Windex and was going to give it a try. I couldn't find it and saw a bathroom cleaner. It was some of that natural "green" stuff so being natural, I though how harmful could it be. It was probably citrus based but anyway some ran down the side and removed the brown just that quick. The brown was in real good shape too but now it needs redone.

oldarkie
05-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I need to take the blue off of a hawken barrel to brown it.

Fly
05-02-2015, 01:39 PM
If you indeed you use muriatic acid do it out side, not in your shop or garage. It will rust bare metal open to the air.
But it does work very well. And as said above mix baking soda with water after, to neutralize the acid.

Fly