PDA

View Full Version : rifle? pistol? what load data? in a CVA CV2 scout 44magnum pistol

49FMarlin
05-01-2015, 07:27 AM
so I'm new to reloading
new to casting

hell new to shooting after 30yrs,
so PLEASE excuse my stupididty

gun in question
CVA CV2 Scout .44 magnum Pistol
1-20 twist 14inch barrel single shot break action

in my lyman 49th reloading man. it gives loads for 44mag in rifle-pistol and contender
in my lyman casting book it gives loads for 44 mag in rifle and pistol--(NO-Contender)

1-What powder loads do i use? rifle? pistol? contender ? for cast or J

in pistol
looking at the 44 russian loads, i see a lot of sub-sonic starting results,
same with the 44SW
but I'm ASSUMING these are revolver loads, with the gap between the cylinder and barrel,
im ASSUMING there will be a difference in my pistol as its a H&R or contender style long barreled pistol or short barreled rifle,

hence my stupidity you see in my above confusion

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2015, 07:46 AM
First thing you should do is read the front sections of your reloading manuals and completely familiarize yourself with all safety and reloading procedures. Then go to the site for the powder you plan to use and read any warnings. There is also load data on these sites.

I currently load 7.5 grns. of Unique behind a 240 to 265 grn. bullet. Either lead or jacketed and all homemade. This is a nice easy going load that I can shoot all day with no fatigue. For magnum loads I would suggest 18 to 21 grns. of 2400 (I have not used 2400 in quite a while mainly because it wasn't available in my area) or 22.5 to 23 grns of W296 0r H110. These are both magnum loads with magnum pressures so be careful.

Also don't forget to look at 44 Special loads which make great target loads in a 44. Remember, Dirty Harry, in Magnum Force said, 44 specials for practice and 44 mag to get the job done. (For those who will jump in to correct me it is not a direct quote.)

49FMarlin
05-01-2015, 08:11 AM
its a 44 mag case, but I'm looking to use the starting loads,

starting loads in pistols/rifles/contender are not the same

and yes russian/44SW/44mag starting loads are all different, in pistol/rifle

IM NOT EVER looking to use max loads,in mag or russian or SW
as i want to shoot starting and mousefarts-catsneeze loads,

but am confused as to weather i use pistol or rifle loads, or contender, and contender IS NOT in the casting book

pworley1
05-01-2015, 09:53 AM
For the uses you describe I would use pistol loads.

runfiverun
05-01-2015, 10:35 AM
you use 44 mag loads.
rifle, pistol don't matter they are the exact same loads just labeled differently.
you are loading the 44 mag cartridge and as such it has a max pressure which you must stay below. [period]
nothing more,, nothing less.

now having said that, you load for the performance you want.
the more powder you use the faster the boolit goes.
the pressure still is below the maximum.
the more powder you add means it makes more gas volume to push on the boolit.
it stays below the maximum pressure but pushes longer.
whereas a fast powder spikes up quickly and gives up all of it's gas and the pressure drops off quickly again.

kenyerian
05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I just use the starting loads listed for rifles and work up. I do shoot a contender super 14 barrel in 44 mag. I shoot a lot of 429244 Lyman's over 9 grains of unique. I also have a handi for my grandson and use the same reloads. He shoots more than I do so it keeps me busy.

kenyerian
05-01-2015, 11:18 AM
PS since you mentioned light loads Noe has some small wadcutter molds listed and I've been considering trying the 110 grain one. What bullets are you going to use? http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=133

49FMarlin
05-01-2015, 11:35 AM
PS since you mentioned light loads Noe has some small wadcutter molds listed and I've been considering trying the 110 grain one. What bullets are you going to use? http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=133

no clue on boolits yet as I'm just figuring all this out,
I'm still trying to find some bull eye and unique,

i think ill have some unique and 2400 after this weekend, and maybe,,big maybe on the trailboss

I've read here that a heavy boolit does the mousefart better than a light one,

49FMarlin
05-01-2015, 11:36 AM
you use 44 mag loads.
rifle, pistol don't matter they are the exact same loads just labeled differently.
you are loading the 44 mag cartridge and as such it has a max pressure which you must stay below. [period]
nothing more,, nothing less.

now having said that, you load for the performance you want.
the more powder you use the faster the boolit goes.
the pressure still is below the maximum.
the more powder you add means it makes more gas volume to push on the boolit.
it stays below the maximum pressure but pushes longer.
whereas a fast powder spikes up quickly and gives up all of it's gas and the pressure drops off quickly again.

thank you, I'm less confused now,
sometimes i just need it drawn out in crayons for me,
and you did that

again
thank you

mdi
05-01-2015, 12:19 PM
As a new reloader shooting a new-to-him handgun, go with starting loads for handguns. Jacketed bullets (shame on me!) are easier to begin with, but nuttin' wrong with starting with lead, just need to know your barrel's dimensions and use bullets of the appropriate diameter. Powders? I started with Unique, now use 2400, True Blue, W231, Universal, and WC 820 depending on what I want from my ammo. When starting a new to me caliber, I go with a tried and true load; for .44 Magnum, I went with a 240 gr. JSP over Unique and a 250 gr. LSWC over mild charges of Unique and Blue Dot...

And of course, check your manuals for data (and I always tell new reloaders my theory; I pay very little (no) attention to any load data from any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads web site, or gun shop guru. I get 95% of my data from published reloading manuals and sometimes powder manufacturer's web sites, which I check against my manuals. This has worked for me for 30 years (nope, I ain't no dinosaur that dislikes modern technology) and haven't had an OOPS! in 29 3/4 years. There's still combinations of components I haven't tried yet an there's always sumpin' new in new manuals...

Yodogsandman
05-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Hey! You get to slug another one!

49FMarlin
05-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Hey! You get to slug another one!

alrady donnit
ill be bringing both with me tomorrow