PDA

View Full Version : Tried to return the Mosin Nagant

shaper
04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Some of you might remember the post I did last fall. The neighbor needed some cash. He was going to sell his rifle at the pawn shop. This is the one with the SKY markings. I gave him the $150 he needed and planned to sell it back to him for the same price in the spring when the grass is growing and he could earn more money. Well, I offered it back to him and he said he wasn't interested in it. This is a very nice Mosin Nagant, it's much better than the one I already own. But I don't think I need two of them. Just trying to figure out what to do next. I don't have any way of posting pictures. I'll see if my son n law will do it for me.

pworley1
04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
What model? With the SKY it will be a Fin. 91, 27, 28, 39

bhop
04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Pm sent

starmac
04-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't understand the, I don't need 2 of them part. lol

Hardcast416taylor
04-29-2015, 01:54 PM

I follow your same way of thinking.Robert

foesgth
04-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Let me try to state it so you can understand.:kidding:

I don't need two of them. That means one doesn't want to set a limit so low. MN are great rifles for cast and I need at least one of each type!

Bohica793
04-29-2015, 02:24 PM
I have none. Send it to me.....

9w1911
04-29-2015, 06:56 PM
I am interested as others here on the board for the Finn Mosin, PM me if you choose to sell it

BrassMagnet
04-29-2015, 07:29 PM
I have a terrible confession to make.
I have dies, brass, boolits, moulds.
I have no Moisin, yet!

osteodoc08
04-29-2015, 07:43 PM
I have no Moisin, yet!

Somehow that doesn't really surprise me!

RKJ
04-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Somehow that doesn't really surprise me!

I was thinking the same thing. You are after all a Magnet.

LuckyDog
04-29-2015, 08:17 PM
I have no Moisin, yet!
I have a Mosin but no brass,boolits, or molds thanks to you.

You always beat me on the swapping. & selling goodies!😄

BrassMagnet
04-29-2015, 08:41 PM
I have a Mosin but no brass,boolits, or molds thanks to you.

You always beat me on the swapping. & selling goodies!

But I am slowing down. It must be old age.

RED333
04-29-2015, 09:03 PM
But I am slowing down. It must be old age.

I call bravo sierra, you aint that old. :D

Petrol & Powder
04-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Wait, I'm still stuck on the "I don't need two of them"

GhostHawk
04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
I have 2, I thought I had outsmarted the bug, bought a pair on the get go.

LOL Jokes on me, now that little voice in the back of my head is talking about m44 carbines and Finn models with tight bores.
So far I am resisting, too many guns, so little money.

But that voice doesn't go away.

shaper
04-29-2015, 10:37 PM
I got the MN out a while ago and looked it over close. The wood on it is almost pristine. The only marks I can find is two small marks that looks like the number 11. About one inch below that is a single mark. This is on the upper forearm in front of the rear sight. There are no other marks or blemishes. Lots of stuff on the barrel. The first thing looks like a wreath with a S in it. To the right of that is a small S with a arrow through it. Below that is a SK.Y. Below that is the serial number 503XXX. To the right of that is a number 118001. Below the serial number is 1942. Under the rifle near the trigger housing front screw is a mark that looks like a turkey flying. That is all I can find anywhere on the rifle. I pulled the bolt back and found it is full of cosmoline. It is dripping off of the firing pin. The guy said he has not fired it so your guess is as good as mine.
So that's about all the information I can give about it. I would like to know more about it myself.
I remember what I paid for my first one at a gun show, but it is not even in the same class as this one.

TXGunNut
04-29-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't have a Mosin, dies, mouilds, brass or boolits but I know that two is better than one....at least that's what I keep telling myself. And then you encounter the "pair and a spare" school of thought.

Frank46
04-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Mosins are addictive. I have three, Finn model 27, Russian model 44 and a Finn model 39 which unfortunately was fired with corrosive ammo and never cleaned properly. The bore looks like the inside of a coal mine. Sad to say the exterior is in excellent condition. GRRRRR, only good thing about it is that it didn't cost anything. Frank

MaryB
04-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Serial numbers are stamped in several places on a Mosin Nagant, Top of receiver, bolt, bottom of the magazine, and butt plate. If they all match it can increase the value if none are a force match from the armory. Need over all length of the rifle to determine the model it is. Some finn's are worth quite a bit more than a bone stock Mosin Nagant so it is best to ID what it is http://7.62x54r.net/

I got the MN out a while ago and looked it over close. The wood on it is almost pristine. The only marks I can find is two small marks that looks like the number 11. About one inch below that is a single mark. This is on the upper forearm in front of the rear sight. There are no other marks or blemishes. Lots of stuff on the barrel. The first thing looks like a wreath with a S in it. To the right of that is a small S with a arrow through it. Below that is a SK.Y. Below that is the serial number 503XXX. To the right of that is a number 118001. Below the serial number is 1942. Under the rifle near the trigger housing front screw is a mark that looks like a turkey flying. That is all I can find anywhere on the rifle. I pulled the bolt back and found it is full of cosmoline. It is dripping off of the firing pin. The guy said he has not fired it so your guess is as good as mine.
So that's about all the information I can give about it. I would like to know more about it myself.
I remember what I paid for my first one at a gun show, but it is not even in the same class as this one.

aspangler
04-29-2015, 11:16 PM
I have two and looking for a third. My My where does the money go?

shaper
04-29-2015, 11:33 PM
The over all length is 47 inches. Same serial number on bolt ball and the bottom of the magazine. There is a number on the side of the bolt but is is lined through it. No number on the butt plate. Is the number under the butt plate?

MaryB
04-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Not all will have that numbered, especially Finn's which were often rebuilt. Length narrows it down to an M27, M28, or M39... that link I gave you will have the rest of the info to id it. My guess is M28/30 or an M39 this will help more http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinIDII.htm betting it is an M39 now that I look at the year. Could be a $300++ rifle... really need pics and more details on condition of barrel etc

Three44s
04-30-2015, 02:52 AM
Got brass dies and Mosins ......... five!

I was going to get rid of the two M44s but decided to hang on to them and use them for bubba tests ..... mild bubba that is.

Three 44s

merlin101
04-30-2015, 03:53 AM

The best part is it's already paid for!

lavenatti
04-30-2015, 06:27 AM
I don't need 13 of them, I do need more willpower....

nagantguy
04-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Shaper; you did a good thing helping your neighbor out, and offering it back at same price, good for you! Now do not listen to the ill advice and mockery, about not needing 2, sound logic sell the one you like least and keep the Finn and just keep the Finn never buy another one. You seem like like a fine gent with a good head on yer shoulders, you are right one is enough! ( the above is part of my new lecture series for those suffering from milsurp hoarding syndrome, the are several model/type specific variations but mosins seem to be the root cause for.the most sever afflictions. )

rr2241tx
04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Since when has "need" become a criterion? They exist; therefore, they are acquired, collected, admired, and ocassionally shot. Besides, they are saturated with the one true aphrodsiac: cosmolene. There really should be cosmolene-scented air fresheners for pickups.

Oh, sorry. Thread drift.

shaper
04-30-2015, 02:08 PM
I have decided to keep it, at least for now. I want to break it down and give it the cleaning it needs and deserves. Besides, I still have a spam can I haven't opened yet.

StratsMan
04-30-2015, 02:16 PM
There really should be cosmolene-scented air fresheners for pickups.

Oh, sorry. Thread drift.

:) It is a little OT, but I'd buy one of those!!!!

mac60
04-30-2015, 08:36 PM

Me either. How can you have too many?