PDA

View Full Version : Recyclers are lying

softpoint
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I just got home from buying the wife a new set of tires. Of course I asked the obvious while I was there. Nope, the guy says, I can't let you have wheelweights, They are a hazardous waste. Who told you? Iasked. The recycler that comes to get them, says he. I then wanted to know who that was. He is now getting aggravated with me, but tells. So when I got home I called the recycler-salvage yard. Got any wheelweights? I asked. Yep, got lots says the man. For sale, and how much? I asked. Sure they're for sale he says. 70 cents a pound.
This was a major tire sales chain too, and they are being lied to get the weights for nothing, or maybe they are paying these crooked recyclers to "properly dispose" of those weights. But then he can sell them to me, no questions asked.
Of course I already knew they were'nt hazardous waste, but the tire store personell aren't going to believe a person "off the street"
I'm about ready to just order a ton of already properly mixed alloy and be done with it. Commercial casters get thier bulk material somewhere, and they must be getting it at a reasonable price.
:neutral:

felix
03-14-2008, 03:32 PM
The recycle guys might not be in the loop. The folks delivering the WW are taking the old ones back, and giving credit to a tune of 80 bucks per 5 gallon bucket. ... felix

JSnover
03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Might be a matter of company policy. I asked a local tire shop and was told, "Can't help ya, my brother makes 'em into bullets." Not a word about recycling, EPA regs, etc.
Went to a local junkyard after that and they let me pick through a couple of truckloads of rims, no charge.
Today I took about 200 lbs out of an NDI lab, all I had to do was ask.

ktw
03-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Went to a local junkyard after that and they let me pick through a couple of truckloads of rims, no charge.

The junkyards get docked on value by the people they sell the scrap rims to if the rims still have WW on them. Taking these off the old rims for them saves them the time and trouble of having to doing it themselves.

-ktw

wire nut
03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't understand this, my local recycler will not take lead even if given to them. they have a sign posted saying they will not take any rims with wheel weights attached. I was told that they had to pay a hefty fine for leaving lead just laying on the ground in their lot. It is still fairly easy to obtain wheel weights here where I live. I am presently stocking up. Wire nut

Riverrat
03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to round up some lead at the lowest price I can get. Any recomendations? Is it possible to recycle old car batteries?? Thanks for any info.

imashooter2
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Batteries are bad news. Do a search and you'll find plenty on the subject.

Lead at the lowest price you can get requires scrounging. Tire stores, scrap yards, building and plumbing contractors, hospitals, indoor ranges, any place they may have a cause to scrap used lead.

Dano67
03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Friend of mine at a local shop in my neck o the woods just sold 400lbs of ww for $90. Another friend says he's been paying to have them taken away(not anymore he! he!). The disparity is amazing

KYCaster
03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
The recycle guys might not be in the loop. The folks delivering the WW are taking the old ones back, and giving credit to a tune of 80 bucks per 5 gallon bucket. ... felix

Here its the local battery manufacturer. They made deals at the corporate level with most of the chains that operate here. They're paying FOUR BUCKS for a THREE GALLON BUCKET.

I looked at the stash this one store had (eight or ten buckets), no cigarette butts, no half eaten hamburgers, no snuff, no adhesive stickers, no lug nuts...just clean WW. I told him I had been paying him more than twice that for years and I had to pick out the garbage...and I was still willing to keep it up. He said no dice.

Jerry

Marlin Junky
03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
There are many unique situations out there. The rural tire store that has provided me with hundreds of pounds of truck WW's told me when I first met him that he was just throwing the old weights in the trash. The big tire store chains are sending their old weights back to the supplier but there's got to be small independents all over the country that don't shoot or fish much that have no use for old weights.

MJ

tpic402
03-14-2008, 09:28 PM
The fellow I get some of my wheel weights from (for cases of bud light) says that he has to give them to the battery guy because he is "certified". Of course when I stop he gives me what he has. I was told at one dealer that they were hazardous waste and to be a jerk the manager had the tech. throw them in the dumpster in front of me.:Fire:

chevyiron420
03-15-2008, 03:34 AM
im haveing alot of the same trouble here in south ga. one big truck tire place told me they throw them away, and when i offered to but them he just kept repaeting himself and refused to sell them. another place wont sell to me because i wasnt born in the south! most of the other shops are covered by a scrap man, and they are loyal to him big time. i have one shop that gives me there's and wont take any money or anything else for that matter. i just scored about 250 lbs. from him and it took him about 3 months. thank god for him or i would be in dire straights.--phil:castmine:

db2
03-15-2008, 05:14 AM
The issue were I am at is a commercial Boolit maker 50+ miles away has everything tied up.

db2

Bret4207
03-15-2008, 06:49 AM
im haveing alot of the same trouble here in south ga. one big truck tire place told me they throw them away, and when i offered to but them he just kept repaeting himself and refused to sell them. another place wont sell to me because i wasnt born in the south! most of the other shops are covered by a scrap man, and they are loyal to him big time. i have one shop that gives me there's and wont take any money or anything else for that matter. i just scored about 250 lbs. from him and it took him about 3 months. thank god for him or i would be in dire straights.--phil:castmine:

I kind of thought that crap would have died out by now.

Single Shot
03-15-2008, 07:55 AM
I had four different chain tire stores that I have collected thousands of pounds of weights from over the years.

Then last year I got the same story from all. Corporate Office requires tracking of lead waste and all scrap weights returned to head office.

I guess reading about one guy in the country getting fined for improper lead disposal spooked all the Corporate Lawyers.

NVcurmudgeon
03-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I've heard all the baloney stories too; "certified recyclers," "must turn them in to our battery supplier," ad nauseum. The bottom line is that all metals are worth more thanks to our Asian friends. Whether the tire shop guys are lying or just repeating the recycler's lie doesn't matter, money talks and pizza and beer walk.

JSnover
03-15-2008, 08:18 AM
"The bottom line is that all metals are worth more thanks to our Asian friends. "

Without lead, what would the Chinese make our kids' toys out of??

dakotashooter2
03-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Try this. If you have a good looking wife/girlfriend send her to one of the "problem suppliers" (properly dressed of course) and see if she can persuade them to give any up. Have her tell them she uses it for art projects or something like that.
Can't hurt to try.

:castmine:

Freightman
03-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Three years ago when a man I know decided to get out of casting I said how much for everything? $450! He had forty +sets of moulds, a Lyman pot, four Lyman handles, a Lyman lube sizer, 500+ # of alloy, ten sets of loading dies, ten boxes of 12g shotgun shell, 10 boxes of 16g shotgun shell, over five thousand boolits of various sizes cast and lubed, 10,000 gas cks, Lyman sizing dies and top punches for all and abunch of loading trays ammo boxes ect., now before you call me a crook I ask at least three times if he was sure? He said that eather I baught them or another man would but he had rather see me have it.
I have yet to use any of the alloy I got as I have "scronged " for three times as much and see no reason to use it now. Look around ask "NO" will not hurt you go somewhere else, there is lead out there you just need to ask and not be discouraged.
"I AM NOT A CROOK" R.M.Nixion
Isn't it fun though?

pumpguy
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
The issue were I am at is a commercial Boolit maker 50+ miles away has everything tied up.

db2

I assume you are about 50 miles from St. John?

smokemjoe
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
You can get Haz. wast permint from you court house for ,was $3.00, and you can handle, haul all the lead you want.

hammerhead357
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
smokemjoe, please tell us more about the Haz-mat permit. This might be a big help to several of us on the board.
I have been having some problems getting free ww and one place wanted what I considered to much per bucket. So I went by the one of the local scrap yards and picked up some pure lead for 40 cents per lb. could have gotten ww for that price also.
wes

7.62Man
03-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Three big scrap yards in my little town that have all the tire shops tied up in contracts. SO I have to buy my ww for $0.50 a pound :(

db2
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I assume you are about 50 miles from St. John?

Yeah thats the one. They use to be Mid-Kansas cast bullet inc. out of Great Bend years ago. I am not sure about what happened but they disappeared and this operation from St. John started up. I am glad they (the wheel weights) are going to a good cause but it kinda stinks for me. I have learned to be resourceful.

Back in the 80's , I had a friend whos dad did a lot of pistol shooting. I remember going with him (slave labor) once a month to the Army base and mine the shooting range berms for lead. He would smelt it all down and sell half, to pay for powder and primers, cast the other half into boolits. For payment he would take me shooting. I hated the mining part but he was the one who got me hooked on shooting.

db2

TAWILDCATT
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I cant figure the prices,I got 2 buckets at $12 apiece 140 lbs each.the junk yard were we sell cans to tells me it isnot worth any thing I as how much and he said4 cents.a lb.somethings wrong.
theres 10 /15 more buckets I may try for $5,not because I am cheap which I am but on SS I cant afford it.:coffee:--[smilie=1:---:Fire:

buckndee
03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Buy it all, even at $12.00 a bucket. Sell it to our members at this site or on evial bay to supplment your SS.