PDA

View Full Version : lyman 311359 in 300 blk AR

cstrickland
04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
ok I tried this in the military rifle section and maybe it should have been here for a little better results

I have been looking for information on the Lyman 311359 115 gr 30 carbine bullet in regards to using it in the 300blk. I was lucky enough to get some samples from the boolit trade , and I am considering buying the mold, but before I invest I am trying to get more information

I have looked here and on the 300BLKtalk forum, but I am only able to find a few posts on it. Now as I stated on the other forum my search fu may just suck, so if there is a informative thread I would truly appreciate a quick link.

the few posts I have found do not really have a lot of information. I am wondering if there are going to be any feed issues with this 30 carbine boolit, as I have seen many have issues with the standard 110 gr FMJ when trying to run those for light plinking rounds.

so if there is anyone with first hand knowledge in using this boolit I would be very appreciative to hear your experiences.

thanks Charlie

runfiverun
04-27-2015, 08:40 PM
I have that mold, I have a bunch of boolits made up, and I got brass prepped.
I just ain't got to e'm yet.
I dunno if my data would be of any help either when I did, as I'm using a bolt action.

so I'm pretty sure your just gonna have to start at square one and make a dummy round or two.
that's how I found out a couple of my other molds just weren't gonna cooperate in mine.

cstrickland
04-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I have that mold, I have a bunch of boolits made up, and I got brass prepped.
I just ain't got to e'm yet.
I dunno if my data would be of any help either when I did, as I'm using a bolt action.

so I'm pretty sure your just gonna have to start at square one and make a dummy round or two.
that's how I found out a couple of my other molds just weren't gonna cooperate in mine.

yeah making dummies up was already on the agenda. I made up 3 rounds with the lyman 311359 and three with the NOE 314414. ran all 6 through my magpul mag in various orders and all feed and ejected with no problems.

Well I guess I am on to the next stage and i will do some ladder testing with both, and shoot them this weekend hopefully

bruce drake
04-30-2015, 11:18 PM
18gr of AA1680 gave me 1900fps with my 311359 mold in my 300BLK AR

It works fine and didn't have any leading issues in my 20" barrel.

runfiverun
04-30-2015, 11:19 PM
nice.
this gives me a little more incentive to give e'm a try in the bolt gun.

i just picked the wife up one of the new ruger americans to go with my A.A.C., so the round count is gonna go waay up.
if i can use the little guy's then that will simplify things immensely. [and save me a ton of lead]

cstrickland
05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
18gr of AA1680 gave me 1900fps with my 311359 mold in my 300BLK AR

It works fine and didn't have any leading issues in my 20" barrel.

where did you find a 20" 300blk barrel ??

yeah I am going with PP 300MP powder and should be in the 17gn - 19gn range for the 115. I do not have a chrony yet, so I am just looking for initial accuracy and functionality this time out. I am hoping this bullet performs, as I think it would make a really nice plinking / light game round.

cstrickland
05-01-2015, 09:36 PM
nice.
this gives me a little more incentive to give e'm a try in the bolt gun.

i just picked the wife up one of the new ruger americans to go with my A.A.C., so the round count is gonna go waay up.
if i can use the little guy's then that will simplify things immensely. [and save me a ton of lead]

I would think that it would run pretty decent in a bolt action . from what I can see online looks like the mag should not pose any feeding issues.

runfiverun
05-01-2015, 10:30 PM
the ruger has their little plastic roll around type, and the AAC has a standard 223 box mag.
I keep the oal short enough to fit in AR magazines and the rounds feed perfectly so far.
I haven't got the ruger out to try any rounds yet.
I got the scope mounted on hers, and a new one on mine, so I'm about due for a range trip.
all I need now is some ammo :lol:

at some point I am going to give a bunch of powders a run through.
I have 15 pounds of accurates 4100, 8 pounds of aa#9, and some others in this area looking for a home.

I have a load for the number-9 already using the rcbs 165 silhouette boolit and it's really accurate but slow to make.
I also have a load for the LEE 230gr tumble lube boolit using 700-x and that is fun to shoot and accurate out to 60-70 yds or so.
I might have to try Bruce's load [or a version of it] as I have some 1680 and H-110 on hand too.

bruce drake
08-25-2015, 11:29 AM
I had a gunsmith make the barrel and cut the port and add the extension to it.

It had a pistol length gas tube originally but since then, I've rechambered it to 30-223Rem (30 Apache) and added a pigtail gas tube to it to give it a carbine length gas tube.

where did you find a 20" 300blk barrel ??

yeah I am going with PP 300MP powder and should be in the 17gn - 19gn range for the 115. I do not have a chrony yet, so I am just looking for initial accuracy and functionality this time out. I am hoping this bullet performs, as I think it would make a really nice plinking / light game round.

trentvb
05-22-2017, 02:15 PM
I know this is an old thread, but, did anybody have any luck using the 311359 with the 300blk?