PDA

View Full Version : Bought a garden tractor today

hoosierlogger
04-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Picked up an allis chalmers 917 hydro with 36" tiller, and 36" snow blower. Bad motor. For $1200. I have an 18 hp kohler that should bolt right up to replace the smoking 17 hp kohler. any experiences with the 900 series?

pworley1
04-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Great find. You know when you get it fixed you are going to feel obligated to use though.

MaryB
04-26-2015, 10:32 PM
I know putting the blower on the front of one is a major pain in the... dad had one and he finally left it mounted and bough a different mower for the yard.

Beagle333
04-26-2015, 10:40 PM
That should be fun. The tiller would be a handy item!! What is snow? [smilie=1:

MaryB
04-26-2015, 10:42 PM
Yeah I sure could use the tiller, tired of having to hire someone and hope they show when I need them.

shaper
04-26-2015, 10:53 PM
I have a 18 hp Kohler and a service manual for the MV16, mv18, and mv20. I had planned to give it to anyone that wants it.
Are you interested?

Frank46
04-26-2015, 11:28 PM
I have a great relationship with my kubota dealer. Last time I hooked up the bush hog I had everything lined up 7 ways to sunday and couldn't get the drive shaft connected to the PTO. One of his servicemen came over after making a road trip and before I could get out of the house he had it hooked up. Showed me what he did. Rotated the pto shaft that comes out the back of the tractor so the splines lined up and away we went. Always take care of him as he's extremely nice and 5 minutes with him is like an hour reading the manual. A tiller is something I thought about getting but can rent one rather than but if needed. I have a front end loader on my kubota and has come in very handy for moving dirt. Best part is when bush hogging any tree limbs just drop the bucket shove them out of the way. Come back later and fill up the bucket and dump on the burn pile. Frank

hoosierlogger
04-27-2015, 05:33 AM
I have a 18 hp Kohler and a service manual for the MV16, mv18, and mv20. I had planned to give it to anyone that wants it.
Are you interested?

This is the motor I have. It is an M18.5. Not sure if they are the same. Mine is an opposed twin motor. I hadn't to pull it from the ztr, but I'll use this allis more.

Im I right in hearing that you have a motor you want to give away? Or the service manual for it?

hoosierlogger
04-27-2015, 05:37 AM
I've heard the blower is a pain to put on. Good news is I have 2 implements for it that will never have to be used in the same season..... Hopefully. I am excited to get it home. I fell I can make the money back by tilling gardens in the evening for people. The snow blower will just be for around the neighborhood use.

cold1
04-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Manuals can be found at either GTTalk.com or Mytractorforum.com. Two great forums that have tons of info and help on Garden tractors. Be careful GT are like guns, they seem to multiply when the wife isnt looking. I started with one and made it up to 7. Trying to get back down to 3.

shaper
04-27-2015, 07:33 AM
hoosierlogger PM sent to you.

SeabeeMan
04-27-2015, 07:54 AM
I have an allis 916 and a simplicity 7116, as well as 2 blowers (one with powered controls) 2 tillers, front blade, vac cart, lifting ball hitch, heated cab, and decks. They are AWESOME! The blower is easy: slide it under, 2 pins, move the idler pulley to the angled mounting ear, and you're off.

i can get you manuals, as well as the large frame service manual if you need. Check out the simpletractors forum. I'm over there as well and while they aren't as big as this, they are just as nice and know
Knowledgable.

SeabeeMan
04-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Also, I don't see it in the pics but the tillers require a "mule drive" bracket to run. They tend to get separated from packages as they are tough to find and fetch $100 or more on their own. I found mine on simpletractors with a want ad but a guy over there makes them from scratch and does awesome work.

DLCTEX
04-27-2015, 12:06 PM
I don't have any personal experience with one, but found one here for my brother years ago and he and his fil wore the motor out twice over about ten years in heavy use. Replaced it with a larger John Deere.

hoosierlogger
04-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the links to the manuals guys!! When I get the pic fixed, I'll have to download them.

hoosierlogger
04-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Mule drive is there. I bought it from a buddy 3 hours away. I'm going to go get it as soon as we both get a day off the same time.

SeabeeMan
04-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Make sure you have the hitch for the blower as well. It should have two ears that go over the front axle and a flat idler pulley on it. I can help you cross reference belts if something is missing.