PDA

View Full Version : Hull Lead

smokemjoe
03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Somewhere last year someone mention about the lead in boat hulls, I went from the Texas coast to Fa. on the back roads along the coasts and there were big shrimp boats and others piled up in wrecks that blowed away. There is a source of lead if you could get the rights to savage. Anyone ever looked into it down there.

STP
03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
smokemjoe,

I remember that... There were warnings that not all ballast "lead" was in fact useable lead for our pursuits.

Morgan Astorbilt
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
The "marine" lead used for bullets is the lead used for keels on sailboats. It can contain any amount of contaminates, the only requirement for keels is the weight. The metal blocks on power boats, attached to the hulls, rudders and propeller shafts, is ZINC. They're used to prevent electrolysis damage to the hull and running gear. Didn't know power boats used lead as ballast, and I'm from Long Island, and spent many hours working in boat yards.
Morgan

Springfield
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I bought a 1600 pound sailboat keel weight a few years ago. the owner had cut it up into 12 x12 x10 chunks. Melted down like pure lead, made some great bullets. It was an older boat, things may be different now.

stephpd
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Worked in engineering in the Navy and they had tons of lead ballast. I think they were like 10# bars. Covered the bottom of the ship, several layers thick.

bullshot
03-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Morgan is right. Sailboats use the weight in the keel. It is only for weight but thats not saying the weight is not pure lead. Always investigate, boat builders get their materials like we do ,anywhere they can.