PDA

View Full Version : order local or over the net

corey012778
03-14-2008, 04:26 AM
I am going to get .457 to .459 mold but every site I have been to is out of the lee's (can't afford anything else) and most are out of the .457 lee sizer.

I have a local gun shop that will order anything you want that they can get. won't charge you shipping but the it would be more (about what shipping would be for both the mold and the sizer) plus sells tax. it would come on their reg. order which is ever 2 weeks

would you wait for to come back into stock on the online site or support your locals.

Johnw...ski
03-14-2008, 05:31 AM
I would check other suppliers on the net, there must be what you want somewhere.

I have never been happy placing orders like this with local businesses,
if they are organized and regularly place their orders it sometimes works,
but you are still at their mercy.

At least when you place the order on the internet yourself you are more in controll.

Just my 2 cents,

John

JSnover
03-14-2008, 06:48 AM
If the price and wait are about the same, I'd go local.

warf73
03-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Your lucky if a local shop has the same price as net. All my local guys want $8~$14 more than the net. Buy local if you can wait.

bullshot
03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Got to support the local guy for some purchases. Need to keep him there for the times you really need something bad. When price is reasonably close and my local shop has the item I will buy it from him. Just my thoughts.

76 WARLOCK
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I have always bought internet if I can just to avoid the sales tax imposed by the cities county and state 7-8 percent.

Bass Ackward
03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
The key is not as simple as factoring costs. Coming out ahead can depend on how you handle personal relationships.

If you think you might want to dicker on a gun tomorrow, you better order local today. Otherwise, buy where you can save the most money.

NVcurmudgeon
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I was blessed in having two local guys in CA and later one in NV who were patient enough to order anything I wanted. The local dealers these days seem to bear an uncanny resemblance to Ming the Merciless, Ruler of the Planet Mongo. It's all about location and relationships.

Shepherd2
03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
There isn't a whole lot of anything where I live but we do have a small well stocked gun shop. I buy as much as I can from them to keep them in business. It doesn't hurt either that they have great prices. I buy primers by the case and they put mine on their regular order so I don't have to pay the Hazmat. Same for powder if they don't have what I want. They'll order anything I want without a hastle. In fact, my son who lives an hour north has them order for him from time to time because his large local dealer won't.

We make it a point of supporting the local merchants around here. Not just the gun shop. It's a long drive to the next town and you know about gas prices.

montana_charlie
03-14-2008, 12:09 PM
If a store in town has something I am looking for...and it's price is the same as the online cost...I will buy online, because it takes ten dollars worth of gasoline to go to town to get it.

If I am in a store looking at an item...and I know it's two bucks cheaper on the other side of town...I'll take the one in my hand, rather than burn the fuel to cross town, unless it is on my route to get home.

With the ease of the internet, and the rise in fuel costs, I do a lot less 'window shopping' these days...
CM

corey012778
03-14-2008, 02:44 PM
damn, the place I deal with all the time is going to be a month before they get they next order in. :roll:

dakotashooter2
03-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Did you try one of the online dealers listed on Lee's site?

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/dealers/online.html

Dale53
03-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I talked to a Lee Distributor yesterday and he informed me that the "lag in reloading sales" seems to be over. People are AGAIN waking up to the fact that reloading saves money.

He stated that Lee is running about three weeks behind on deliveries. Apparently, they are VERY busy. I am glad to hear that they are busy, but I am kind of an impatient type of personality (who, ME?.[smilie=1:). However, sometimes you just have to "suck it up (old army term)" and wait...

Dale53

Ghugly
03-15-2008, 05:12 PM
If it is at all reasonable, I buy local. What is reasonable to me may well vary from day to day, but I will always give my local merchant a shot at the deal. I just bought a Kimber mag a couple of days ago and my local guy was 3 dollars cheaper than Midway for the same item. You just never know.