PDA

View Full Version : 6.5X257 with cast boolits

Blkpwdrbuff
03-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a 6.5X257 made up for me on an old Arisaka action. Actually it's just being rebarrelled to the same caliber.
Anyhow, I would like to shoot cast in it and was wondering if all you guys who know MUCH more than me had any suggestions on mould style, bullet weight, etc.
I'm kind of leaning toward the Lyman 140 gr. Loverin design.
All information and opinions will be most welcome.
Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

garandsrus
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Blkpwdrbuff,

I think you are leaning in a good direction...

John

HORNET
03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
It kind of depends on how its throated. If that's a 6.5 Arisaka action, I get a maximum loaded length on 3.06" into the magazine. Mine has a rechambered stock barrel and that length lets the nose on that 266469 heavily engrave in the rifling with the base about even with the base of the case neck. That length also leaves a lot of lube grooves hanging out in space to pick up grud, which some people don't like. It shoots well but the throating leaves a bit of a jump for anything shorter ( like the 266386, which is barely started in the case) and especially with those pointy copper-condom covered things. You might have it throated for one of the bore-riders (like the 266673) and rethroat if you decide that you don't like it.

Blkpwdrbuff
03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks, guys.
My gunsmith is also leaning toward the bore rider type, IE RCBS 264 Sil or 264 Flatnose, or Saeco 264. Looks like that is where I'm heading.
Blkpwdruff:castmine: