PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of the bbq burner....what's the next step?

tddeangelo
04-25-2015, 08:39 PM
So, I processed a 5lb bucket of wheel weights on the side burner on my grill with no real problem. Melted great, poured nicely into ingots, etc.

Now I'm working on sheets of pure lead, and it's being a real ball-buster to melt, and stay melted. It seems on a whim the lead will start to reharden at the edges and the center, and once that starts, I'm pretty much done. I fight a losing battle trying to adjust pot/skillet position, trying to create wind breaks (although it happens when it's calm, too), etc. It never works. The only thing that's had any success has been laying a few sheets of lead on top of the pot or skillet (I've tried a skillet and a stock pot, makes no difference) to keep some heat in. That helps a little bit.

So, about 1 try in 5, it goes as intended, no issues, just melts, lets me flux, lets me pour ingots, and all goes well. The other 4 tries involve me muttering words that I'd prefer to yell but don't want my kids to learn.

Will a turkey fryer solve this? I'm ready to put a dang boolit in this stupid grill soon!:x

scb
04-25-2015, 09:02 PM
I use a turkey fryer and a weed burner at the same time. They melt 30-40 lbs. of lead in short order. The first time I used them in tandem I was amazed how quickly they worked.

country gent
04-25-2015, 09:04 PM
I use a turkey frier frame and propane cylinder made pot. or heat I use a 500,000 btu wood burner. I set this up with 2 valves one on/off and one to adjust flame for temp. It also has a 90* end fitted so the burner stands up under pot. With the pot and burner about 3/8 open I can have 100+ lbs of lead molten in 30-40 mins. A piece of heavy grating and some concrete blocks would make the stand and provide wind break for flame and pot. I have smelted /reclaimed lead, and cast from this set up for years with good results

Newboy
04-25-2015, 09:36 PM
I do not know what you have access to, but I bought one a welder had made. A "star" burner from an old water heater, clamped in a piece of 12 inch oil field casing, about a foot high. I run a regulator on my propane bottle, and have no trouble with 250 pounds at a time. Have not tried more, because that is all my Dutch oven will hold.

Takes about 25 minutes to melt.

Oreo
04-25-2015, 09:55 PM
You need a turkey frier without a doubt. Almost any of them will positively end your woes. Far as I can tell there are two best options. I think the best is a jet burner style, or even a dual-jet burner. although the advertised BTUs are less then the banjo burner I think the jet burners just do a better job of getting the heat into the pot. The other best is the full-size banjo burner. That's what I have and it has the highest advertised BTU output. It also comes with one of the strongest off-the-shelf stands and a high(er) pressure regulator. I do 100lb melts with mine and once everything is molten I have to turn the flame way down or the lead will get way too hot (like >1000°f) even in the wind. I still added a big wind shield around the thing because there's no such thing as getting the lead melted too fast and as-is the banjo burner loses a lot of heat to the wind.

tddeangelo
04-25-2015, 10:04 PM
I may hit wally world or lowes tomorrow and get a turkey fryer....see if it helps.

Oreo
04-25-2015, 10:07 PM
It will.

tddeangelo
04-25-2015, 10:09 PM
How do I know a jet burner vs banjo burner? Or are those just terms that I don't know I know? lol

rondog
04-25-2015, 10:58 PM
I'd recommend a 4-legged turkey fryer burner if you can find one. Lots more stable than a 3-legged one.

Oreo
04-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Dual Jet Burner (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004SICDXC)

Banjo Burner (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY)

Mostly I'm referring to the part that makes the flame. Other manufacturers may use the same or similar burners fixed in a different stand. Rondog is right about the importance of selecting a strong stand. I use the one I linked here and have tested it to several hundred pounds. It's also low to the ground which helps strength and stability.

tddeangelo
04-25-2015, 11:47 PM
cool, pics help! Thank you!

RogerDat
04-26-2015, 12:27 AM
Wal-mart has a fish fryer that is pretty solid, Holds this Harbor Freight 5 qt. Dutch oven full of lead without any problem. Just don't use the aluminum pot that comes with any of the turkey/fish fryers. Heat softened aluminum + weight of the molten lead will blow out the bottom. At best messy at worst a very nasty injury.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Quart-Propane-Fish-Fryer/19759610
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html

Does gain from having a windscreen around it, but they all do. If your paying for propane windscreen saves you money and time. Lid on the dutch oven also traps heat, and traps some smoke which I think keeps oxygen away from the melt (just a theory) but at the least avoids the column of smoke that sort of draws attention. Also when flux flames up a bit too rowdy setting the lid on settles that.

Last but not least cast iron holds heat, you won't find a gust that pushes the flame over briefly able to change the temperature of the melt since the cast iron moderates the changes. Is slower to heat up but once hot holds a steadier temperature.

tddeangelo
04-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Was looking at that one, and they have it at my local wally world. I'm on it....

:)

retread
04-26-2015, 12:43 AM
I built mine from a couple of 1/4 steel plate scraps, some 5/8 steel concrete form stakes, two cookie sheets form the dollar store(windbreak) and a weed burner from Harbor Freight. The melt pot is the bottom half of a propane tank. Melts a 100# in no time!

mold maker
04-26-2015, 10:04 AM
If your wind screen comes all the way to the top of the pot, it holds the heat even better. I cut the bottom half of a five gal bucket, to hold the burner with air holes, under the grate, and the top of the bucket around the pot on top of the grate.
That drastically cut both the time and fuel.
Be wary of using any kind of torch on top, in contact with the lead. That is one of the few ways to vaporize lead into the air you breath.
A lid to hold in heat, is safe, and will shorten the melt, while cutting down on the smoke and smell.

jmort
04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
"If your wind screen comes all the way to the top of the pot, it holds the heat even be

That is why I chose this unit. At $79.99 with free shipping I could find no better deal with all these design features. Stout, robust, low to the ground, highest output (rated 210,000 btu), wind screen close to pot, splash shield, and lowest price with free shipping.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-outdoor-range-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html137930

Digger
04-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Wal-mart has a fish fryer that is pretty solid, Holds this Harbor Freight 5 qt. Dutch oven full of lead without any problem. Just don't use the aluminum pot that comes with any of the turkey/fish fryers. Heat softened aluminum + weight of the molten lead will blow out the bottom. At best messy at worst a very nasty injury.

Does gain from having a windscreen around it, but they all do. If your paying for propane windscreen saves you money and time. Lid on the dutch oven also traps heat, and traps some smoke which I think keeps oxygen away from the melt (just a theory) but at the least avoids the column of smoke that sort of draws attention. Also when flux flames up a bit too rowdy setting the lid on settles that.

Last but not least cast iron holds heat, you won't find a gust that pushes the flame over briefly able to change the temperature of the melt since the cast iron moderates the changes. Is slower to heat up but once hot holds a steadier temperature.

Picked up the King Kooker from Wal Mart a while back ... believe it is the next one up on the line up on their site
Has worked out great , 54,000 btu burner , holds my 200 lb pot of lead nicely.
Cut a foot off the legs and it is perfect height , been very happy with it.
pics are not the best but you can see how it is used ....
link :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?273894-A-little-easier-this-time

tddeangelo
04-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Yeah I was looking at the King Kooker, too. I'll wander through wally world here in a bit and see what I can find. I'm Mr. Mom with my 3 yr old from yesterday through later today, so only so much I can do till the rest of the family is home, but if I can get a burner set up and ready, I hope to get some lead melted later today.

tddeangelo
04-26-2015, 03:21 PM

Wally World had this in stock and on sale for $40, so it's mine now. :)

rondog
04-26-2015, 03:48 PM
"If your wind screen comes all the way to the top of the pot, it holds the heat even be

That is why I chose this unit. At $79.99 with free shipping I could find no better deal with all these design features. Stout, robust, low to the ground, highest output (rated 210,000 btu), wind screen close to pot, splash shield, and lowest price with free shipping.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-outdoor-range-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html137930

Nice looking burner, I like it. Not sure what brand mine is, but it needs a windscreen added on for sure.

Oh look, I discovered I have a photo of the exact burner I have! not my burner, but the same brand. No wind protection, need to fix that.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/cooking/bcsq14_high_propane_burner.jpg

tddeangelo
04-26-2015, 03:51 PM
I'll have to do a wind break on mine, but for $40 it seemed hard to go too far wrong

tddeangelo
04-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Just did some lead on the fryer. Holy cow, was that $40 well spent. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier/faster/better than the grill!

RogerDat
04-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Just did some lead on the fryer. Holy cow, was that $40 well spent. SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier/faster/better than the grill!
Got that right! I moved from hot plate to fish fryer. Whole new world.

I did a bunch today and my "windscreen" was just some muffin tins I sometimes use for molds. I have angle iron ingot molds and three of those are leaning against one side to pre-warm that helps cut down the wind also. dcrockette has some nice pots made from tanks and angle iron ingot molds for sale, also makes ladles and some other hand tools for making ingots. There is another fellow that sells ingot molds made from channel both are in swapping and selling section. Have to dig a bit since they are older long running posts.

I like the harbor freight dutch oven but I think the propane tank pots have a greater capacity which is nice for doing big batches of WW's. Curved sides too which probably makes getting the last couple of ladles easier to get out. One thing I can say for a fact, picking up the dutch oven to dump the last couple of ingots worth out is something that has to be done pretty darn quick, even through insulated welding gloves you don't have much time before the heat is too much.

tddeangelo
04-27-2015, 06:53 AM
Yep, I've found my limiting factor is now my pot.

When I ran some in an old cast iron skillet, I could really put the heat to it, and it was SUPER fast. When I used the old stock pot I've been using, it turned cherry red in about 20 seconds with the gas valve full open, lol. I quickly backed that down and found I need to keep it about 1/4-1/3 open, no more, for that pot. It works well, but slower.

Guess I should look into a propane tank pot. I could really blow through lead with a better pot.

The ingots I cast look far better than previous efforts, as the temps are a bit higher in the melt now, I think. I have about 60lbs of pure lead into ingots, so only 600 more to go! :)

Oreo
04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
You're on the right track now. I think a propane tank pot is probably the best easiest option for most people.